Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast+Capri (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-capri-329438/)

rosita Jun 20th, 2003 08:11 AM

Amalfi Coast+Capri

Hello Fodorites

My husband and I have booked our flight into Naples and have also booked 4 nights at the Miramare Hotel in Positano and then 3 nights at Hotel Luna in Capri. What I would like you to do is advise me with any tips of what we must see, do, where to eat, what to buy and where etc - we would also like advise as to transport from Naples to Positano. We are thinking of taking a cab. Would this be cheaper than asking the Hotel to fetch us? Do we need to arrange for our luggage to be taken to our Hotel Miramare in Positano as I believe there are a lot of steps. Does the cab driver do this or does the hotel send their porter? If anyone has stayed at the Miramare could you please let me know what the procedure was? We would also like to know if it is best to take the hydrofoil from Positano to Capri. How often do they run? When we get to Capri, do you catch a cab, bus and what happens to the luggage? Any advise to make everything run smoothly would be great. Please also tell us that our Hotel choice is OK?

Many thanks

Rose

rosita Jun 20th, 2003 08:21 AM

Hello

I forgot to mention in the previous post if you could recommend daily trips from Positano and also if anyone has gone to Ischis from Capri for the day and how easy it is to do this?

Many thanks again now and for all the wonderful information on this site.

Rose

rosita Jun 20th, 2003 08:23 AM

Sorry, my spelling...I mean Ischia

Rose

Jean Jun 20th, 2003 10:05 AM

Sorry but... What to see, what to do, what to eat, what to buy, how to do this, how to do that.... Have you thought about buying a guidebook?

ira Jun 20th, 2003 10:10 AM

Hi Rose,

If you do a text search on "Positano" and on "Capri" you will find lots of advice.

I can help with transport from Naples to Positano. See http://www.italyby.com/ludovica/pages/reach.htm or
http://www.ondaverde.it/arrivareim.htm

If you don't wish to take the bus or train a private limo would be better than a taxi.

We have arranged for Cuomo Renato
www.cuomonet.it [email protected]

to take us to our hotel from Naples. There are others if you do a search for "Positano AND Limousine".

Weadles Jun 20th, 2003 11:24 AM

I can highly recommend the excellent drivers we have used in the past and will use again this July for your pickup from Naples.

They are the Gargiulos, and they can be reached by e-mail at [email protected], or by cell phone at: (Dad's number)3387306575; (Son's number)3335226029. Excellent drivers, hysterically funny, and drive air conditioned Mercedes. I got their names off this site two years ago, and couldn't have been happier with the choice.

In and around Positano, we enjoyed very much lunch or dinner at our hotel, the Poseidon. The food and views were heavenly!
Also, not to be missed: Two restaurants we went to in Montpertuso: Il Ritrovo, which was out of this world, and Donna Rosa. Montpertuso is about a 15 min. drive from Positano. Ask at your hotel desk whether the restaurant will arrange transportation back and forth for you. You can also go there for lunch, and hike back to Positano afterwards by following the trail from the Santa Maria della Grazia church in the center of town.

We are going to Luna hotel in Capri this July. The hotel told me to call one day ahead, let them know the time of hydrofoil arrival, and they will send their porter to meet us and take the luggage to the hotel.

A word of warning: SOmetimes there is no hydrofoil service from Positano because of rough water conditions. At these times, you'll have to go to Sorrento to take the hydrofoil over to Capri. I'm sure the hotel can help you arrange this.

From Positano, you can take easy daytrips up and down the coast on Sita buses, although they tend to be quite crowded in the summer months. You can also take a boat from Positano to Amalfi and back for a daytrip. Well worth doing.

Good luck, and have fun!~

Myer Jun 20th, 2003 12:45 PM

I would take a boat from Naples to Positano. I know they go to Sorrento and assume they go to Positano.

The Sita bus along the coast is a great ride. However, the drivers floor the gas, floor the breaks and have a hand on the horn. If travel sickness is an issue at all stay away from the bus.

Steve_James Jun 21st, 2003 01:14 AM

Rosita - A pre-booked limo will normally cost less than a taxi. The going rate currently seems to be € 100-120.

For hydrofoils/ferries from Positano to Capri, you can find timetables on:

http://www.capri.net/home/en/transport.php

To do Ischia as a day-trip from Capri you would have to go first to Sorrento, from where there is a departure at 09.30 to Ischia. (An alternative route would be via Naples)

Your return trip would also have to be via Sorrento (- or Naples).
You can find timetables to/from Ischia on this link:

http://www.ischiaonline.it/page.php?...amp;sez=MOVIME

Hope this helps ...

Steve

rosita Jun 23rd, 2003 01:06 AM

Thank you all for your wealth of information, specially Steve, Myer, Ira and Weadles. I have e-mailed our hotel in Positano and they have quoted me E100 for them to send a driver to collect us from Naples airport. Reading all your information, I think this would be cheaper that getting a cab from the airport....what do you think. Weadles, I will be e-mailing your contacts to get a quote from them as well. Steve, thanks for your input as I was not aware that we could not go straight from Capri to Ischia. This might put a different prospective on it as getting to Ischia might eat into our day trip and sight seeing time. We originally thought of hiring scooters to go around the Island....any suggestions would be great. Montpertusso sounds like a must to go and eat as this has been mentioned a lot on this site. Would we need to book in advance - we will be there in 3 weeks time?

Many thanks again

Rose

Steve_James Jun 23rd, 2003 01:39 AM

Rosita - The only direct Capri-Ischia service currently is late afternoon (- with the Ischia-Capri service in the morning). So Capri works as a day-trip FROM Ischia, but not vice-versa ... ON THE CURRENT TIMETABLE.

But I would re-check this when you go - timetables change in high season, so it may well be possible.

But going via Sorrento wouldn't present a problem, - it's only 20 mins from Capri. Looking at the timetable, the return should allow you to catch the last Sorrento-Capri service. You would have 6-7 hours on Ischia, I think.

Check the Ischia websites for scooter hire:
www.ischiaonline.it
www.ischia.com

€ 100.00 sounds about right for Capodichino-Positano. I don't think you'll get it much cheaper.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

JmVikmanis Jun 23rd, 2003 04:06 AM

Steve, you are so helpful re: Amalfi area. Thanks so much for all your info. A couple more, if you will: I assume you just hire a taxi to get from Positano to Montpettuso (sp) for dinner. Do they just drop you and retrieve on call or do they wait for you? Which of the two restaurants do you prefer there? Thanks.

JmVikmanis Jun 23rd, 2003 04:07 AM

Now that I think of it, I have the same question about Don Alfonso in Sant'Agata
though that's further from Positano. Taxi or limo to do dinner there? Do they drop off and pick up later or wait? Thanks.

ira Jun 23rd, 2003 05:13 AM

Hi,

Ask at your hotel if the restaurant you are interested in will provide transportation. Some of them do.

rosita Jun 23rd, 2003 05:24 AM

Thanks Steve.....you are a great help. Should you require any information on any other parts of Italy - in particular Portofino, I would only be too happy to help. We have been there 3 times in the last 3 years and have just loved it. People have told us that if we loved Portofino, we would also love Positano. We cannot wait to go. I just do not seem to get enough of Italy. Should you require a very good "Agritouristo" place to stay just outside of San Giminano, I can also help you with that.

Rose

Steve_James Jun 23rd, 2003 06:04 AM

Thanks Rosita - If you like Portofino I'm sure you'll love Positano!

Here are a few Amalfi Coast pix to whet your appetite:

http://www.capri-exclusive.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi

(Wish they were mine ... )

JmVikmanis - Montepertuso is only 10 mins up the hill, so I don't think you'd need a driver to wait. You could just fix a return time - or get the restaurant to call one ...

There is a Positano-Montepertuso bus service, so that's a cheap (77 cents)option. Here's the link:

http://www.flaviogioia.com/eng/orari.htm

The last bus back may run later in high season ...

I haven't tried either of those restaurants at Montepertuso yet. Next time, perhaps ... :)

I guess it's more likely a taxi might wait for you at Don Alfonso's. It won't be cheap though.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

JaneS Jun 23rd, 2003 07:18 AM

Rosita-
While we were in Positano, we had dinner at two restaurants in Montepertuso: Il Ritrova and La Tragliata. Both had car service and they picked us up at our hotel and dropped us off after dinner- we just tipped the driver. Very convenient for us- we had our hotel concierge arrange it with the restaurants. Both places were excellent for dinner and very very friendly. I would highly recommend both. I think both were comparably priced at about 70E for dinner for two- this included a shared antipasto, a shared pasta, and a meat course a piece. Both places gave us complimentary desserts!
Jane

JmVikmanis Jun 23rd, 2003 07:42 AM

Thanks Steve and Jane S for your help. Can't wait to be in Positano again.

Parker Jun 24th, 2003 05:05 AM

My husband and I just returned from Positano and had a wonderful time. After trying out several restaurants, we ended up going back again and again to La Cambusa on the beach. It's actually one level up from the beach with allows you to have a great view of the comings and goings on the beach. Our waiter, Luciano, was wonderful! Very attentive, helpful, and accommodated my special requests for a great salad! The Spinach Ravioli with cream sauce is to die for. If you get a chance, stop in and ask for him. Go early to get a seat up front. Tell him the Parkers sent you! You'll love it!

rosita Jun 25th, 2003 03:15 AM

We will try La Cambusa and the Spinach Ravioli sound just up my street. What was the weather like and was it very crowded?

Rose

GaiusJulius Jun 25th, 2003 10:44 AM

Rosita,
As far as I am concerned, three nights is a long time to stay on Capri. It is usually a day trip from Sorrento or Positano. Positano is a very hilly town. I hope you know that. Personally, I would stay in Sorrento for the whole week, and take day trips to the rest of the Amalfie Drive, and to Capri. Or at least, Sorrento for four nights and Positano for three nights. This is much better in my opinion.
Gaius Julius