Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast Base (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-base-712967/)

Alaning Jun 13th, 2007 03:41 PM

Amalfi Coast Base

My fiancee and I are planning a trip to Italy for September and plan on spending four nights on the Amalfi coast. We would prefer to have one base town and then take day trips to other cities. We will be driving from Tuscany so we will need a place where we can park the car. I've been researching Capri, Positano, Amalfi and Sorrento. Does anyone have a suggestion/preference for a base town. I am concerned about Capri because of the car, but maybe that itsn't a big problem.
Thanks for the advice!

Alaning Jun 13th, 2007 03:43 PM

Any hotel recommendations would also be appreciated! We are trying to find places in the 100-150 euro category.

aranda Jun 13th, 2007 04:05 PM

Positano is a good base, closer to Ravello and Amalfi than Sorrento, and easy to catch a ferry to Capri. We stayed at the Eden Roc, beautiful and clean, located right on the Amalfi Drive, and has a garage.

Enjoy!!

Aranda

nytraveler Jun 13th, 2007 04:45 PM

We always stay in Sorrento - since it;s closer to Pompeii and the museum in Naples, as well as having a ferry to Capri and ferry/road down the coast. Plus we prefer a larger town to a very small village - esp one that is practically perpendicular.

tiggrntaz Jun 13th, 2007 05:25 PM

I was wondering the same thing when I first started planning our trip and we decided on staying in Sorrento. From what I have read and been told, its the best place to stay in the Amalfi Coast since its the easiest to do day trips from and there is good public transportation.

Traveler2 Jun 13th, 2007 10:29 PM

I agree with others that Sorrento is the best place to stay. We loved it and would definitely stay there again if we go back to Almalfi coast. Really liked the town of Sorrento. Many restaurants to choose from and shops to go to or look at. Good base for the Amalfi Coast and for Capri; Also Pompeii, which everyone that visited said it was the highlight of their trip.

Ninkette Jun 14th, 2007 12:26 PM

We stayed in Positano at Villa Rosa and loved it. It was very easy to visit all of the other towns from there.

Oboe1 Jun 14th, 2007 01:15 PM

We stayed just outside of Positano in Praiano, was very quiet, pleasant and out of the madding crowds. Stayed at Onda Verde...outstanding hotel, great value and great views. The have a garage too.

Weadles Jun 14th, 2007 03:24 PM

I'm not sure if it's still within your budget range, but you can look at IL NIDO in Sorrento. I haven't stayed there, but it gets generally good reviews online. Sorrento is definitely a very pleasant town and makes a great base for exploring the Amalfi Coast. And it's relatively flat, as opposted to Positano, which is a city of stairs. However, Positano is much more charming and beautiful.

nancy Jun 14th, 2007 04:08 PM

I stayed at El Nido a couple of yrs ago and thought it was priced well and a block from the train station. But, they did have the worst coffee I've ever had :-) Not a fancy hotel but very convenient. Sorrento is a good base for visiting all over the area and as the above poster said has several restaurants/shops to choose from.

I think what I liked best was the ease of going to Naples and to Pompeii. Didn't make it to Amalfi but certainly easy to get to Capri. Didn't get there either because of our envolvement with the Naples musuem and Pompeii/Herculaneum.

Also it's basically flat which was a big deal to me.

ciaokitty Jun 14th, 2007 04:55 PM

I have visited the Amalfi Coast many times. Sorrento was always our base. I cannot offer a hotel suggestion, because we always stayed at campgrounds near Naples. Ravello is by far a favorite place to visit.

ciaolaura Jun 16th, 2007 06:28 AM

Mami Camilla in Sorrento is a comfortable, family run b & b that offers excursions and cooking lessons that is very reasonably priced and offers parking. Giuseppe Longo would be very happy to assist you - he runs the b & b and is the son of the chef who teaches the cooking classes. It is ideal to base yourself in Sorrento, since the Marina Piccolo offers ferry service to Amalfi, Positano, Napoli, Capri, etc. Buon Viaggio!

Ciaolaura

dorkforcemom Jun 16th, 2007 06:50 AM

We were very happy staying in Sorrento for our 5 nights in that beautiful part of Italy. We like the convenience to Pompeii and hte archeological museum in Naples. We took a boat one day to Capri and a day trip to Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. I loved Sorrento! We stayed at Antiche Mura. I believe it was more than you're looking for, however. Enjoy Piazzo Tasso in the evenings....