Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-apartment-in-october-mobility-an-issue-1269871/)

Uranus Apr 6th, 2017 02:02 PM

Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue

My wife and I are thinking of joining in with two other 60-something couples on an apartment rental for a week in early October, somewhere between Sorrento and Atrani. We have never been to this region. We'd like to visit Capri, Pompeii or Ercolano, take a boat ride or two, and some other daytrips around the area, and of course enjoy the local food and drink.

Although Positano looks charming, we think Amalfi Town may be more practical, as one of the women has knee and hip problems that cause her a mobility issue. When we see a location with "200 stairs" or even "80 short steps," we fear that she may not be able to sustain this over the course of a week.

As we go through the planning process, it would be wonderful to hear from some who are familiar with the AC and could advise on the logistics.
In particular: What area or town would be best for us to concentrate on? Will a car be necessary, or is it possible to locate near bus stops? Can anyone recommend apartments with 3 bedrooms, 2+ baths that would provide us with a convenient base for the week?

Thank you.

kybourbon Apr 6th, 2017 04:30 PM

Are the mobility problems just with steps or also walking?

If she has walking problems, most of the places you mentioned will be an issue.

Sorrento would probably be easiest to find central location without steps. It's not on the Amalfi coast though.

Rubicund Apr 7th, 2017 02:08 AM

All of the AC villages have varying degrees of inclines. Positano is probably the most extreme although you could stay on the main street and avoid steps, although that would mean missing out on some charming areas down to the beach.

Amalfi is better, but it does rise up away from the road, it's just the way this area is. As kyb says, Sorrento may be the answer and in early October the traffic will be less mad for trips across to the AC.

Uranus Apr 8th, 2017 11:11 AM

Thanks for your comments.

Our friend has had both knees replaced, one of them twice, and also had two bouts with cancer. Climbing is definitely a challenge, but she tires readily when walking too. She is an inspiration to us for how gracefully she's dealt with all of it. My wife and I were originally planning to do this by ourselves, looking mainly at Positano, and eschewing a car hire. It became a group effort when the other two couples heard about it, and we are delighted to shift our focus to include them. Based on further reading and your feedback, a car hire also seems advisable now.

I have looked at apartments on TripAdvisor and VRBO. One of our friends is looking on AirB&B. Are there some other sites where we might identify a suitable place? Does anyone have a specific apartment to recommend?

anneeby Apr 15th, 2017 01:14 PM

Fly into Naples. Hire a driver to take you to Ravello. It is relatively flat yet rises high above the sea and the views are spectacular. Find a place to stay in Ravello. You can take taxis down to Amalfi town or hire a driver for the day to show you the coast. You can pick up the ferry in Amalfi and go to Capri, although Capri can be challenging for someone who has trouble walking.

frencharmoire Apr 15th, 2017 02:24 PM

Agree with the suggestion of Ravello. Also realize that getting on and off buses can require loads of pressure on the knees, so budget for taxis/private drivers. Don't rent a car. Parking and traffic jams will make it more of a liability than an asset.

Recommend that when you rent the apartment that you inform prospective landlords for to keep stair climbing to a minimum and tell them why. (Saying a former cancer patient will get their attention.) That way you run less risk of someone minimizing the climbing needed.

Try working with the rental agents Summer in Italy. They have a website.

Leely2 Apr 15th, 2017 02:54 PM

Ravello might work, actually. There are some stairs/inclines here and there, but nothing too bad and most could be avoided. It is very beautiful to see the lights of all the other little towns at night from Ravello. I stayed at the Hotel Parsifal last summer; thought it would be a little too old lady-fusty for me but the people were so kind, the views so beautiful, the grounds so lush. I'd go back there in a heartbeat (no elevator, though, that I can recall). We had a friend with us who is not the fittest, and I saw firsthand how easy it is to get a taxi when one's legs no longer want to do the job.

We also walked to and from Amalfi via Atrani. I stopped there for an ice cream and some directions. Parts of Atrani look fairly flat--might that be an option?

I guess your decision partially depends what your friend is happy doing. Will she be disappointed if she can't walk up the steps to the Duomo in Amalfi, for example?

Good luck. I think it's worth trying.

Uranus Jul 1st, 2017 01:27 PM

Here's an update (sorry for the delay):

Our friend located and reserved a three-bedroom, three-bath (no pool :( ) house for the six of us between Amalfi town and Ravello on AirB&B. It's just above Atrani. We'll have a car available, but plan to hire drivers or use the bus for most outings.

I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for your help!

Uranus Jul 2nd, 2017 05:08 PM

BTW: Your recommendations for nearby restaurants and must-see attractions are still solicited and welcome.

frencharmoire Jul 3rd, 2017 02:05 AM

If you have the use of a car consider making a visit to beautiful Paestum. The Greek temples are in a flat field, but if your friend's mobility problems mean that uneven walking surfaces are a huge problem, then try to get more info about the walking paths around the temples. My recollection is that they are dirt, but I am really unsure. An excavation site like Pompeii (which is hard to get to from Ravello/Atrani) has boulder-like pathways and can be quite difficult for people with dodgy knees. But Paestum is very much worth visiting if all can handle the terrain.

Cetara is considered to have the best seafood restaurants on the coast. In Ravello, Cumpa Cosimo is a legendary family owned trattoria serving traditional cuisine (increasingly a rarity in the area) and Da Salvatore has spectacular views + nice food + serves pizza in the evenings if you want something simpler. You probably need reservatons for these places (Cumpa Cosimo is tiny).

Uranus Oct 18th, 2017 10:06 AM

Update: It turns out that our friend did very well during our time on the coast. She actually went on a couple of hikes in the hills, one of them an eight-miler, and although she tired, she commented that she felt like she was getting stronger. On the other hand, my hip flared up and I begged off of anything too ambitious.

There were two rental cars between the six of us. After our first drive up to Ravello, we left them parked for the rest of the week, and quickly learned how and where to use the buses. Believe it when you hear people tell you about the challenges of driving in this area!

We enjoyed a memorable end-of-stay dinner at Da Salvatore. The view was indeed spectacular, and we were served a couple of unexpected and interesting amuse-bouches along with what we ordered. A bit pricey, but very special. We caught the last bus down the hill that night.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

ekc Oct 18th, 2017 02:13 PM

So glad you had a good trip and thanks for reporting back!

Leely2 Oct 18th, 2017 05:55 PM

Happy that you had a good trip and that your friend felt well enough to enjoy some of the beautiful hikes in the area. Sorry about your hip, though!