Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast and Lake Como: Need honeymoon help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and his fiance hope to honeymoon in Italy in early July 2007 and need some advice. This is his 4th trip to Italy: He's visited the cities and wants to relax; he's happy anywhere he can find good gelato (i.e. practically everywhere)! His fiance loves swimming, boating--water in general; she's been to the cities as well and wants a more laid-back trip. How does this itinerary sound (if we can make it work with frequent-flyer miles)?

Fly United Airlines via Frankfurt to Naples; private driver to Positano or Amalfi (5 nights), then Capri (2 nights).

Take boat back to Naples, fly to Milano (Linate), train to Varenna (5 nights).

Take train from Varenna to Milano (Malpensa); fly home via Frankfurt.

Some specific questions:

1. Is the Capri-Naples-Linate-Varenna leg easy enough to do in a day? Is flying from Naples to Linate more efficient than taking the train? How does the cost compare?

2. How much time should they allow to get from Varenna back to Malpensa to catch an international flight?

I'm not sure they can get an open-jaw ticket with frequent-flyer miles: We'll be checking soon. If not, I suppose they'll fly into Milano and take a separate hop to Naples and back. Can anyone recommend a carrier within Italy? (I've never booked a flight within the country....)

Many thanks for your suggestions!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:38 PM

We did a similar trip about 4 years ago. On our leg to Linate, we started in Positano, and a driver to Pompeii, then lunch, then to Naples airport and a flight to Linate.

For me, that was quite enough. We got to Linate in the evening and I'm not sure there would have been enough time to get a train to Varenna. For this leg, I think you should definetly check schedules, even though they may not be online for June. Just try to extrapolate if you can.

One option would be to rent a car at Linate and drive to Varenna; but check the hours of rental agencies there. Or spend the night in Milan? There are discount flights from Naples to Linate. I think we used AirOne, but I'm not entirely sure. I would not take the train. We were on FF tickets, and had to do a roundtrip from Milan to Naples and back, through Linate.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:39 PM

I forgot to add that you can check for cheap flights on whichbudget.com