Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi coast & capri (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-and-capri-367549/)

erani Jan 10th, 2004 02:01 AM

Amalfi coast & capri

hi

im planing a to go in the begining of July to amalfi area and capri. we would like to spend 3 night's on the coast and 2-3 night on the island.
we will be 6 people ( two 55 yo adults and four 27 yo ).
we like very lux hotels , night life, shopes and good resturants.
can u help me pick a town on the coast (and a hotel there ) and one on capri ??
thanks alot

jmv Jan 10th, 2004 02:48 AM

Le Sireneuse or San Pietro in Positano and Quisisana on Capri. Probably stick with Sireneuse for its proximity to town and restaurants over San Pietro. You can search this site on these words and find lots and lots and lots of info about them.

sneep Jan 10th, 2004 04:49 AM

Covo dei Saraceni has very charming moorish tiled suites with amazing bathrooms, tremendous space and amazing balconies overlooking the water which the hotel hangs over. Palazzo Murat is also elegant, in town but not as far up and away as Sireneuse - torch lit at night for an amzing garden dining atmosphere. No question that sirenese is an icon - and for good reason - but the rooms can be very tiny and while the property is secluded it can be quite a hike after a meal and a bottle of wine at a restaurant along the water

jmv Jan 10th, 2004 05:03 AM

I agree completely with sneep. We stay at the Covo dei Saraceni and love it and the Palazo Murat looks terrific. I was swayed, however, by erani's request for very lux and know that Sireneuse and San Pietro are definitely the stars in that category. Frankly, I think even if money were no object with me, I'd still choose to stay at Saraceni. I could sit on the balconies and watch the people on the beachfront for hours--have actually.

Grinisa Jan 10th, 2004 05:21 AM

If you want a luxury hotel, then the Sirenuse is for you. We've stayed there several times, each in a double deluxe room. The room is very large and includes a sitting area and also a nice sized terrace overlooking that wonderful view. On Capri, while the Quisisana is the most well known luxury hotel, I find it pretty stuffy and frankly, not all that "luxurious." Many rooms have no view at all and those that do don't have a great one. Stay at the Scalitanella, Casa Morgana or Brunella instead.

Weadles Jan 10th, 2004 08:13 AM

Hi erani,

In Capri, check out Hotel Luna, too. We stayed there last July, and it is a very beautiful hotel, only a few minutes walk from Quissiana and the main part of town. Just wanted to mention that we had lunch at Quissiana, and while it might appeal to some, it seemed quite snobby and pretentious to us. To each his/her own, huh? Luna has gorgeous waterview rooms overlooking the coast ( make sure you reserve these) and a huge pool set inside an old lemon tree grove. Heavenly setting!

In Positano, I agree with the other posters who've recommended Sirenuse over San Pietro. It's a much better location for accessibility to town and restaurants, and considered one of the best hotels in Italy.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

erani Jan 10th, 2004 09:58 AM

thaks alot you all !!
love to hear more opinion's

WanderingTexan Jan 10th, 2004 06:41 PM

I have stayed at the San Pietro and Le Sirenuse. I choose the Sirenuse and plan to stay there again this summer. The San Pietro is a bigger, more elaborate, more private property, but Le Sirenuse has a wonderful staff, the absolute best view and is close enough that you can just walk into town anytime you feel like it.

erani Jan 11th, 2004 09:49 AM

i got rates for Le Sireneuse as followed:

560 euro a NIGHT for a dlx room with balcony
OR
460 for a std room with no view or balcony...
dont you thinks this is VERY overpriced for a regular hotel room ?? not even a suite.....???!!??!!

ira Jan 11th, 2004 10:16 AM

Hi erani,

You want to stay at a delux hotel at the height of the season. What did you expect?

mimipam Jan 11th, 2004 12:48 PM

Hi erani,
Yes, the rate is expensive but I think that is what you will have to pay for what you want. Will you be in your hotel a lot? If not, check out other options.

Weadles Jan 11th, 2004 01:55 PM

Sirenuse is a five-star hotel. If you'd like to try a four-star, just uphill from Sirenuse, I would highly recommend a jr. suite with terrace at the Poseidon. We've stayed there a few times, and always regretted leaving. It's a very small hotel with intimate service and outstanding food and views. If you're interested, I'd e-mail them or even phone as soon as possible. It's a very popular hotel, esp. in season.

Good luck!

Grinisa Jan 11th, 2004 04:17 PM

You initially stated you like "very lux hotels". Well, that's what the Sirenuse is. Those prices are standard for five star hotels in Italy. If you go to the Cipriani in Venice or the San Michele in Fiesole, you could be paying between 700 and 1000 dollars per night for a deluxe double room, not a suite.

benderbabe Jan 11th, 2004 05:00 PM

The "Hotel Luna Convento" in the town of Amalfi is absolutely beautiful too.

We stayed 2 nights there and 2 nights at La Sireneuse. We actually enjoyed the town of Amalfi and the Luna Convento more...much more quaint and less touristy, even though the Luna Convento is definitely a luxury hotel in both price and look, and the half-board food menu was outstanding.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.lunahotel.it/