Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-613079/)

ksmith May 4th, 2006 04:00 PM

Amalfi Coast

Planning my 1st trip to Italy ( Amalfi Coast) from Boston.Which airport should I fly into Naples or Rome & how do I get to Amalfi Coast from the airport? Also planning on going over Thanksgiving holiday. How is the weather end of November and any suggestions for best time to book airfare. Lots of questions. Thanks for any help!!

nytraveler May 4th, 2006 05:01 PM

The Amalfi Coast is primarily beach/summer resorts. You can of course see Pompeii and the museums in Naples. But at that time of year many places will be closing for the season - or open shorter hours - including the ferries to Capri and along the coast.

Also - if the weather is bad - as it is sometimes at that time of year the ferries can;t run at all - meaniang you can;t get to - or could be stuck on - Capri. And walking a beach when it's 50 and raining isn't a whole lot of fun.

Are you tied to Thanksgiving? Early October would be much better - or May/June.

Jean May 4th, 2006 06:01 PM

The Amalfi Coast is not an ideal destination for a first trip to Italy in late November. As nytraveler noted, you could visit Pompeii (if the weather's agreeable) and the archeological museum in Naples. That's about all you could really count on. A day-trip to Capri would be difficult regardless of the weather because of the reduced ferry schedule; and, as nytraveler mentioned, ferries are cancelled when the seas are rough.

At that time of year, I'd stick to Rome or, if you're adventurous, Sicily. How many days is your trip?

nessundorma May 4th, 2006 06:06 PM

If you want to see the Amalfi, it is really not advasiable to go in November. (Beach weather in Sicily is not going to be any better. The Mediterranean climate doesn't work that way.)

There are many very nice places to go to in Italy in November, which is the harvest season. The cities of Italy are also rich in activities that don't depend on sunny weather.

If you want to see the Amalfi, save your pennies and go in May or June.

Jean May 4th, 2006 06:20 PM

I didn't see "beach" anywhere in the original post, so my thoughts were not about a beach destination in November. But I do think the weather in Sicily would be more reliable if the poster is looking for more of an outdoors-oriented trip (as at Amalfi Coast). Obviously, if good weather isn't a requirement, one can go anywhere in Italy at any time of year and find interesting things to see/do. I took the poster's question ("how's the weather") to indicate he/she was somewhat concerned about it.

nessundorma May 4th, 2006 06:30 PM

Jean,

It's just not the case about Sicily. It is often colder in Sicily than it is in the Amalfi because of the ocean currents, etc. In the US or other places being further south nets you better weather. Not necessarily so on the Med.

I think Sicily could be a nice place to go in November, just like Tuscany is. Actually, probably the nicest, mildest November weather is along the Ligurian coast between Genova and France. Venice, because of the lagoon, can also be mild.

The problem with the Amalfi is that one goes for the views. Fog as much as rain can make it almost meaningless to be there. And since it is so expensive to go, one has to think hard about whether it is worth the risk, especially for a first time trip to Italy.

ksmith May 6th, 2006 03:26 AM

Thanks so much for everybody's help so far. I want to go over Thanksgiving break & I am going with husband & senior in high school son.We have never been to Europe & thought Amalfi for the scenery.Open to all suggestions.My husband is of Italian bakeground so thought Italy might be a good place for 1st visit to Europe.Sounds like Sicily may be better in November.Going for a week.

nessundorma May 6th, 2006 05:06 AM

Sicily will not be better than November with respect to weather, but there will be many more things to do that don't involve weather if you rent a car.

Have you thought about going to Venice? November is a great time to go to Venice.

beanweb24 May 6th, 2006 05:10 AM

I've spent the last two Thanksgivings in Venice and have loved every moment. We did not have flooding either time, and the crowds were relatively sparse. This last time we loved our day trip to Verona.

If you consider Venice, you should try to stay at Locanda Orseolo. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor...it's even more amazing to experience in person.

Jean May 7th, 2006 05:00 PM

I would never discourage anyone from visiting Venice, particularly on a first trip to Italy, no matter what time of year. However, just to be clear about the weather, it can be very cold in Venice in late November. Overnight temps can reach the mid-30s and daytime temps usually stay in the high-40s to low-50s. There's not much chance of rain, but I did once see frost on the rooftops in the early morning hours.

Although I haven't been to Sicily that late in the year, I checked the weather records for Palermo in November. Average daily high is in the low-60s, and average daily low is in the high-50s. There is a fairly good chance of rain (average of 16 days).

Your last post mentioned you were looking for nice scenery. Venice has beautiful scenery of the man-made variety. Sicily is ruggedly beautiful and feels almost more like Greece than Italy. There are many ancient ruins.

I suggest you do some reading in guidebooks. Although some places in Italy would not make good destinations in November (and very often are more or less closed for the season), there are so many other beautiful, fascinating places you could go.

ira May 8th, 2006 07:15 AM

Hi K,

>We have never been to Europe ...<

Another suggestion to go somewhere else than the AC in late Nov.

Venice, Florence or Rome would all be good for a week.

My first choice would be Paris.

((I))

ksmith May 9th, 2006 02:39 PM

Again, Thanks for all the help. I think we may do Florence, Tuscany, Chianti &the Ligurian Coast like was mentioned.Is that too much in one week?How should I break that up.I was thinking two nights Florence & divide between other locations.

ira May 10th, 2006 04:19 AM

Hi K,

With only a week, I suggest

Florence (4 with a daytrip to Siena) and Venice 3

Base in or near Siena and see Tuscany by car.

A week in Rome

((I))