Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-397605/)

mugsy33 Feb 10th, 2004 01:08 PM

Amalfi Coast

Hi, My husband and I are visiting the Amalfi coast for the first 2 weeks in March. We are based in Sorrento, and already have a place to stay. Any tips and suggestions would be much appreciated. We have been to the northern part of Italy, but we are totally unfamiliar with this region. Thanks!

m_kingdom Feb 10th, 2004 01:14 PM

Capri, Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii, Naples!

Get the concierge to organise excursions to the above. Also enjoy Sorrento itself!

WanderingTexan Feb 10th, 2004 03:47 PM

Don't miss Ravello and Villa Cimbrone gardens!

KayF Feb 10th, 2004 11:06 PM

My husband and I had 6 nights in Sorrento in March a few years ago. We travel on a budget and prefer independant travel so tend to do things ourselves, rather than tours. We walked down the steep steps to the port in Sorrento and bought tickets on the next boat to Capri, a 20 min journey. Once on the island, there are buses and a funicular you can catch or just walk.

We caught the bus to Positano and another day to Amalfi and Ravello. The bus to Positano always seemed packed so we caught an early bus (8.30) to get a seat. Coming back we stood most of the way which means you don't get to see much. Ask the bus driver for the right stop in Positano, we got off too early once and another time too late (in the next village!) as the stops are not marked. The bus is cheap and easy but the road is narrow and hugs the winding cliff so can make you feel queasy. Personally, I wouldn't recommend driving the coast road unless you have nerves of steel and good insurance!

The bus stops in Amalfi by the waterfront and from there you can catch another bus up the hill to Ravello. There are some wonderful pottery shops in Ravello and the Belvedere at Villa Cimbrone has fantastic views - a fee to enter.

In Sorrento itself the old town is nice to wander around, we found during siesta (12-4) it was deserted and difficult to find anywhere open to eat or drink. A real find was the Foreigners Club, down towards the water, which anyone can visit, they have free toilets (a rarity in Italy), tourist info and a wonderful terrace with to-die-for views. You can get a drink or a meal there, not expensive.

Pompeii is really interesting and a short train ride from Sorrento. Try and get a guide or it won't make much sense.
Hope this helps.
Kay

walkamalfi Feb 11th, 2004 03:40 AM

As a local,I am more than happy to give you any information you may require on the Amalfi Coast,particularly hiking information.

Gerardo

ira Feb 11th, 2004 06:31 AM

Hi mugsy,

From Sorrento you can:

take the train to Pompeii, Naples and Paestum, by way of Salerno.

take the SITA bus to Amalfi and Ravello, with stops at other towns along the way.

walk the Pathway of the Gods.

take the ferry to Capri, Naples, Positano, Amalfi and Salerno.

Enjoy your trip.

You might find the Naples and AC portion of my trip report helpful.

Ira?s Trip Report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

mugsy33 Feb 12th, 2004 05:22 PM

Thanks all! I am counting the minutes, and my calories so I can truly enjoy when I get there!!!!!!

M_J Feb 12th, 2004 05:28 PM

This is a beautiful area and you will love it. Bring a lot of film.
We drove the Amalfi coast.
HUGE tour buses fly around the curves and you are considered no more than a gnat in their way. You must drive defensively. If you do drive, make sure you know how to find and engage the reverse gear. Seriously.
In our rental car, you had to shove the gear shift DOWN and then back to the right. Due to our own error, we drove the coast road at night back to Sorrento. That was a frightening experience that we would not wish to repeat.

mugsy33 Feb 13th, 2004 05:53 AM

MJ, no worries! I wouldn't consider driving in this area. I want to spend time away from stress!