Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi Coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-coast-151520/)

Howie Jan 8th, 2003 04:02 PM

Amalfi Coast

I am traveling to Italy in May and I am undecided about whether to stay in Positano or Sorento. I would appreciate any one's opinion.<BR>Thanks

Kay Jan 8th, 2003 05:48 PM

We like Sorrento better but most people seem to prefer Positano. Sorrento is much bigger, with more restaurants, hotels etc. It is on the train line from Naples, to get to Positano, you get a bus from Sorrento. Positano is more picturesque, it's built into the hillside but Sorrento's old town is lovely to walk around. It depends what you like. Neither place has a good beach, Sorrento is built above high cliffs and Positano has a grey pebble beach. If you do a search on this forum you will finds lots of info on these two places.<BR>Kay

Howie Jan 8th, 2003 05:55 PM

Thanks Kay- we are leaning towards Sorento- any suggestions on where to stay?

Tania Jan 8th, 2003 06:11 PM

I'm with Kay for Sorrento (HI KAY!!!!) I stayed there for around 8 days last summer, and its location provided me with a wealth of possibilities for day trips, Positano being one of them. I think it was around a 90 minute drive by bus...or was that Amalfi? Anyway, it's not a long trip, and the views along the way are gorgeous!! Hold on to your seat as you're driving along the cliffs!! Spent a fabulous full day at Positano, including a few hours on the beach, but I still loved going back to Sorrento at day's end. There's a grand main street that at night, is filled with people walking liesurely after dinner, it's quite lively, and I found a really nice sense of community there; both among the tourists and the Sorrentans alike. It's a pretty town. <BR><BR>I stayed at the Palazzo Starace (as did Kay), which is a B&amp;B on the main street. Excellent location, very inexpensive, clean rooms with fridge and air conditioning. There are more upscale places, but Palazzo Starace was perfect for me, considering that I was travelling solo and was only there to sleep. But it was a perfectly fine room, and the building and owner are quite charming.<BR><BR>Sorrento is very easy to get around by foot, and provides a nice feeling of home at the end of a long day of day-tripping.<BR><BR>tania

Wendy Jan 8th, 2003 06:23 PM

Howie,<BR><BR>We stayed in Positano two summers ago, and found it absolutely magical. There's not much to do in Positano itself (although you can take easy day trips to Amalfi, Capri, and Pompeii) except take in the staggeringly beautiful scenery and eat incredible food, but that, for us, was part of the charm. We did almost nothing and had the best time. Sorrento has more of a big city feel, and offers more choice of restaurants, nightlife, etc. Just depends what's more appealing to you. Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong in either place. Have a great time!

Steve James Jan 9th, 2003 01:00 AM

Howie - the bus ride between them is only 45 mins (90 mins to Amalfi).<BR><BR>When you catch the bus to Positano from Sorrento make sure you sit on the RIGHT side of the bus for best views. <BR>Unless you suffer from vertigo :) ...<BR><BR>Steve

joanneaj Jan 9th, 2003 07:09 AM

Howie, search for my review of Villa Terrazza in Sorrento. There are four apartments in the villa to lease for a week. We were there in November and loved it. The website is www.villaterrazza.it