Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Amalfi (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/amalfi-225330/)

dbailey May 27th, 2002 01:50 PM

Amalfi

I am travelling to naples next week and would like to spend some time exploring the amalfi coast. Has anyone got any knowledge of hotels in the area and could they recommend any? Money isn't an issue as I could spend one night in a posh hotel and make up for it in something cheaper later. I will also be visiting pompeii. Has anyone got any tips?<BR>Thanks

Grandma May 27th, 2002 02:37 PM

If you stay in Sorrento, you can take the train (circumvenzia...sp?) to Pompeii if you don't want to stay in Naples. How many days can you allot?<BR>If you rent a car in Sorrento you can drive to Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, etc.<BR>There are wonderful hotels in each place. My choice would be Ravello.

az May 28th, 2002 07:20 PM

dbailey--the following is copied from my<BR> post last June following a 17-day trip exploring Rome and A. Coast:<BR><BR> Message: If you like touristy, crowded places, w. lots of "action", then stay in<BR> Positano. But if you want quiet quarters w. spectacular views, the Hotel Tritone<BR> near Praiano is the place to stay. We have been there twice; cancelled our trip<BR> to Sicily to return for a few more days just last week. EVERY room has a view<BR> to the west all the way to the Faraglioni (the 3 "rocks" for which Capri is<BR> famous), and on a clear day you can actually see the arch in the middle one<BR> from your room balcony. To the east is a magnificent vista of the village of<BR> Praiano, w. its twin-steepled church in the center of your view and the ancient<BR> church on the horizon about half way up the mountain. Straight down about<BR> 1000 feet is the sea. You can watch the ship traffic in and out of Salerno from<BR> your balcony as well. <BR> The beach facilites are superb (although the beach itself is rocky, like all of <BR> them along the Amalfi Coast), and you walk through a long tunnel carved out of <BR> the rock to get there after a long elevator ride. There is a bar and a second<BR> swimming pool down at the beach as well. <BR> The breakfasts (which are included in the room rate) are sumptuous, including<BR> different pastries/cookies of the region every morning (including almond cookies<BR> and cannola), and you can get delicious omelets w. ham/cheese and apricot<BR> juice along w. the standard breakfast fare most hotels provide. They are served<BR> on an outdoor terrace w. to-die-for views. <BR> The hotel is literally carved into the side of the cliff below the road, so it is very<BR> quiet and very private, if that is what you want. You may even hear the "cock of<BR> Praiano" crowing in the sunrise if you leave the doors to your balcony open, and<BR> you can easily hear the church bells toll the quarter hours. It is the loveliest<BR> place I have ever stayed in decades of travel. <BR> The downside, if there is one, is that you really need a car to see the other<BR> sites along the Coast and inland if you stay there. The hotel does have<BR> adequate parking, however. <BR> The service is superb. <BR><BR><BR>

Rachele May 29th, 2002 06:55 AM

I was on the Amalfi Coast 2 weeks ago --it was awesome. I preferred Praiano and Ravello over Positano (which I thought was too touristy). We stayed at the Belvedere in Conca dei Marini and really liked it.

Kay May 29th, 2002 06:54 PM

Santa Caterina in Amalfi, hands down.<BR>It is wonderful!<BR>Have a great trip.<BR>Kay

Richard May 29th, 2002 07:02 PM

I am in favor of Staying in Sorrento. I was just there 2 weeks ago. I took the Circumvisina to Pompeii for the day. I also took day trips via local bus to Positano, Ravello and Amalfi. Sorrento has some very good restaurants, pubs and some charm. I would definitely do it again!