Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

am pregnant and would like help with planning my vication please..

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new at this bored and this is the first time that I actually post. Since discovering fodors I have been coming daily just to get knowledge from all you experts.
My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe for mid June. We have been to Europe a few times but this will be the first time we take our 15 month old daughter with us. I will also be 5 months pregnant at the time with my 2nd baby. SO far we have booked for london for 10 days. Not only do we love london but we think there is much to do there with a toddler. After london we would like to go to another country for a week. We want somewhere relaxing where our daughter could have a good time too. My husband has beento lucerne in switzerland and thinks it is a great place to just relax and stroll. I was thinking perhaps taking the eurostar to paris. We are open to other suggestiions considering it will not be to strenuous for a pregnant woman. Thanks for listening and am eagerly waiting for all the suggestions from all you experts
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Maira

I think Southern Spain, Andalucia, specifically a coastal beach destination would be great for you, plus Spanish people are very affectionate with children. Try out the vrbo.com site (vacation rentals by owners), with many beautiful and well located rental apartments in resort areas of Marbella, Malaga, Puerto Banus. From any of these cities you could do a number of great day trips, including the possibility of a relaxing stay at home, if that is what you choose to do. Hope you and family enjoy!

Old May 4th, 2003, 04:46 AM

I'm with Maira I think a great way to end a sightseeing vacation is with a stay at the beach. So many great options one of my favorites is Portofino, Italy.
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Maira and Sharonkaye thanks so much for your quick suggestions. My husband is not a beach person so I do not think Spain is for us. We have just discusses our trip and we are thinking of making the trip 3 weeks instead of two. IS 10 days london, 6 days paris and 5 days brussels or chamonix too much? AM I doing too much considering I am pregnant and with a hyper toddler?
Old May 4th, 2003, 12:37 PM

5 months preganant - a 15 month old - something screams BEACH VACATION to me - BUT if your husband doesn't like the beach how about renting a home in the tuscan countryside with a pool - relax, take in the villages, set a slower pace. Enjoy your trip and take care of yourself.
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:18 PM

I did go on a 2 week trip to France when I was 5 months pregnant with my first child. Quite frankly, I would never have considered it pregnant with a 15 month old.

I agree that all of that screams for a beach vacation--and you do not have to go to Europe to do that. Alternatively, why not do a long weekend with your husband in Europe and arrange for the toddler to be babysat at home? I did that once when I had two small toddlers. Believe me, the kids were much better off at home and the adults were able to have a much better time in London without them.

Schelpping very young children overseas--unless you are visiting relatives or parking yourself in one place for the duration--just will be more stress than a vacation in my opinion.

If you really hate the beach--and MUST go to Europe--you could try renting a rural cottage near a lake or moutains somewhere in Europe. That would be a lot less stress than London with a toddler in a hotel room.

Your children will get older and you can bring them to Europe then.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:42 AM

Have you considered telling your husband to take your toddler to Europe and taking yourself off to a spa/beach resort for 3 weeks' pampering?

Seriously though, I think that at 5 months pregnant with a toddler in tow, trailing around cities for 3 weeks is asking for trouble. If your husband really can't manage a beach, then the suggestion of a villa in Tuscany (or rural France or Spain) sounds like the best bet to me.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:40 AM

I was 5 months pregnant when we went off for a three week trip and my daughter was 3.I was astonished at how tired I was despite the fact that everyone told me I was taking on too much. I was working full time and thought a holiday would be easier than that.
We went by car from U.K. to northern Spain(on the ferry). I can remember even this being unexpectedly tiring as we had a cabin in the depths of the boat and having gone down with my daughter she refused to walk back up all the stairs and I had to carry her.
Generally speaking it was just sheer tiredness even after a day in the car when I hadn't done anything to make me feel tired.We got into the habit of arriving and I would sleep whilst my husband took junior out to explore.
It was very different from when I was first pregnant when we spent 10 days in Switzerland in the winter and walked every day.
With hindsight I agree that the answer is to go somewhere and stay put so if you need to rest you can. This doesn't have to be a beach-you know where your daughter will be happiest.
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Maira

mommy2becky--- the fact that you are planning a 3-week vacation is a great thing. There are, however, unavoidable facts and circumstances that either you, your husband, or both may have to plan around; mainly, a pregnancy, a toddler, and realistic choices when it comes to enjoyable destinations for the WHOLE family. You mentioned that Europe was part of your vacation style before, and while life does change with children, part of the joy is to accept that and roll with it. I still think a week in Southern Spain is a good way to go; plenty of wonderful culture to enjoy and alternatives for children to do children's things.

Old May 5th, 2003, 03:39 PM

I think it is nice for the three of you to have a nice vacation before your child will have to share your attention with another one.
I think from London go up near York and stay in the little towns near there or one of the islands off the west coast of Britain.
I think it is better all around if you dont try to do too much and take it slowly. How about renting a place in the Cotswalds?

Then when the children are older you can hop from country to county.
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"I am new at this bored.."

I was wondering whether this was a typo or whether mommy2becky had read all the posts regarding tennis shoes.
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:35 PM
jor

Call me sexist. A 5 month pregnant woman should be putting her money, energy, and time into the new baby. Not a smart time to travel abroad.
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:16 AM

mommy2becky, I agree with the villa with pool idea only if your spouse is prepared to supervise the water area. I've been near a pool with a toddler & pregnant and it can be very stressful keeping the little one safe. A lake is better. What about one of the Italian lakes after Paris?
I'd skip Brussels, take 4 days in Paris and then a week in the Alps - Chamonix, Montreux or Aosta - or a week on Lago Maggiore or Como, or Lugano.