Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Am I wasting my time going to Paris in August? Please advise.

Jun 21st, 2002, 03:58 AM
riley

My family and I are planning to go to Paris in August. I here that this is the worst time to go since many places are closed such as restaurants and the weather is extremely uncomfortable. Also, we would like to drive thru the wine country, but I here a lot of the wineries are closed as well in August. Need help fast.

Jun 21st, 2002, 04:38 AM
Rex

I think that this is a much over-stated problem. The month-long closures that get so much notoriety are mostly mom'n'pop businesses - - dressmakers, landries, and yes, some restaurants, wine shops and the like.

But a "waste of time"? I suppose that would be a function of how valuable is your time! If you're in the Donald Trump or Oprah Winfrey league, then maybe you will want to choose a different month - - and then again maybe not, even for them.

The worst minute I ever spent in Paris was still more valuable than the BEST _day_ I ever spent in the entire state of (fill in the blank here: Maine, Oregon, Nebraska, Tennessee, Wisconsin, you get the idea).

Best wishes,

Rex

Jun 21st, 2002, 05:55 AM
Jane

I was in Paris for a week last August and had a delightful trip. As Rex said, some of the smaller shops, etc., were closed (I was there the third week) but there was plenty to enjoy.

I'm going again this August (the second week this time) to visit a friend I made while I was there last year. I'll post again after I get a new perspective from spending time with "locals."

Jun 21st, 2002, 06:00 AM
Catherine

We went last August and had a fabulous time. The weather was not too hot, in fact it was cool some days, rainy once or twice, sunny most of the time...in other words almost everything except freezing and snowy. However with a colapsible umbrella in our bag, and a light sweater the weather wasn't a problem.
We found two of the restaurants recommended to us were closed, but mmost were open and more places were open than we had time to try!
I don't know about the wineries. I was considering that for our next trip.
Enjoy!

Jun 21st, 2002, 06:08 AM
Jane

Catherine -

I just had to follow up about the weather. You picked the right week, apparently. When I was there last year the temperature was 95 degrees (F) and humid every day. Really glad we had an air conditioned room.

I hope I have better luck this year. I'd much rather have rain and cooler temps than high temps and high humidity.

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:46 AM
Beth

We were there part of the first week last August (2001) and it was so hot, but "time wasted" - no way. We had a wonderful time; we just didn't look very elegant. We did not have AC at our apartment, and the musuems only seem to have AC to the point of comfort of the artwork. It does tend to cool down at night; we had no problems sleeping. If using a hotel, make sure it has AC. Went back in April this year, and the manager of one of our favorite shops from the previous trip told us that she now was going to be open in August; she was closing in October instead. We had gotten some great buys because we were there the last day of July. There are so many places to eat, you won't have to worry. We drove to the Loire Valley from Paris, and the weather changed dramatically (perhaps it did in Paris also, but we weren't there to know). Go and have some ice cream for me, please.

Jun 21st, 2002, 10:16 PM
ttt

topping