Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

am i the only one who thinks a "budget" hotel is under 30 euros a night in france?

Notices

am i the only one who thinks a "budget" hotel is under 30 euros a night in france?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:30 PM
faile626

while i respect and appreciate the knowledge and advice to be found on this board, i never hear of any true budget hotels...under 30 euros, at least! i feel like i'm stuck between "let's go" and "fodors" sometimes...

i'm upgrading from hostels on a trip i'm taking to france in september, having found a cheap hotel to be less expensive than a hostel for two people. i've been reading old posts for good advice on a base town in provence, other than arles, which i'm fairly certain would make a great budget base and right now is my default choice.

i love the idea of staying in l'isle sur la sorgue, but are there any under-30 euro hotels in that area? we will have a car (thrifty is cheaper than public transportation) and i would love to get to know this village of canals.

if anyone knows of any budget options in this town, or in any other comparable base towns, please let me know.

thanks in advance,
faile

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Sue

Faile, in such a touristic area I think it would be hard to find such a budget hotel. Let's face it, where in an equivalent area in the US would you find a $30 room? I remember staying in a budget hotel (facilities down the hall) in Avignon 20 years ago, called Hotel Le Parc, 18 bis rue du Perdiguier (old tele #--they have since added a prefix number, I think) 82.71.55

I love Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and spent a week there in a "gite," which is a great way to save money in that you can buy food and beverages and cook for yourself if you stay for a week (Sat-Sat). "My" gite ran the equivalent of 350 euro last year (50 euro/night), just off the river and within walking distance of the town, plus no parking problem. I have the brochure for the town and there are some only slightly above your price range (I have no idea of the quality or location, though I could look on the map--mine was great; it was the third time we'd been there). If you are interested in specifics, please e-mail me.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Christina

Hotels in Provence are much cheaper than in Paris, but even in a town like that, the cheapest hotels I know of run about 45 euro (for a decent 2 star, even the 1 star I know there is that rate, the Pescador which is a Logis de France). The price you want is the price of a hostel, not hotel, unfortunately. I guess I just don't agree that a 45 euro hotel is not budget, only 30 euro. I don't know where you've traveled, but a cheap chain motel room in my home town, which is a small town in the middle of nowhere in Ohio, runs about $65. There are some hotels that cheap in Avignon, also--in fact, the Medieval which is certainly decent. The hotel Mignon is very cheap in Avignon, also http://www.hotel-mignon.com/
But, both those are more around 45-50 euro for a double, I think, although they actuall do have rooms close to your price, but for a single.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 10:05 PM
mpprh

Hi

Euro 30 gets you into the cheap chain hotels like F1.

They are mainly situated near the autoroutes.

http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/index.html

peter

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:19 AM
clairobscur

Actually, I agree with the OP. I couldn't care less about comfort in hotels. As lang as there's a bed, a roof, a shower somewhere and no cockroaches, it's OK for me. When I'm in a hotel, I'm usually sleeping. Perhaps I would reconsider my position if you get a four times better hotel when paying four times more, but it isn't the case. You usually pay much more for a slight improvment. And once again, when I sleep, I don't really care about the room's niceties.

So, yes, for me too a budget hotel is under 30 euros. I don't know for Isle/Sorgue, but I stayed in an hotel under this price in downtown Arles (and the bed was comfortable). Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the place (I *never* remember such things. Someday, I'll have to write it down) There are also hotels under this price in Paris (but I never stayed in a Paris hotel). The lowest rates for Paris hotels are 20 euros.

The F1-type hotel indeed fall in this budget. But they're inconveniently situated, and never in a pleasant place. The advantage is that there are really cheap (especially since up to 3 persons can sleep in a room), and standartized. You know exactly what you'll get (which is what you paid for, but once again, I don't care). Cheap family-run hotels are a bet. They're usually well-situated but are as likely to be uncomfortable and dirty than comfortable, friendly and clean. But would I want to pay 3 times the price to be sure that the shower won't be down the hall, the mattres will be more comfortable, and there will be a pretty picture on the wall? No way!

Well....there's an exception : historical buildings, like the paradores. I would pay much more to stay for the night in a 6 century old castle (I could accept to sleep on straw in the barn to stay overnight in such a building, actually). But that's it.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Sue

I suspect your problem may lie in the word 'budget.' Although many people have a certain price level in mind when they use this term, in practice the price level varies widely from person to person. Therefore, maybe a more useful definition of 'budget' would be: the average price that a given person is willing to pay, give or take 10 per cent.

I suspect your problem may be not that rooms at this price aren't available, but more that they are to be found in places one wouldn't actually call a hotel; a cafe or bar that offers a few rooms for rent above the dining room, or a local family with 'chambres d'hotes' to let. I don't myself bother with these places not because of some kind of internal prejudice against them, but because they aren't reliable for advance reservations, and sometimes not even reliably open for business.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:53 AM
elvira

Well, I've never been to l'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, and my room budget is 30-45 euros (per person), but a five-minute search on the web found the following website, and several rooms listed for around 30 euros (some even less).
http://uk.ot-islesurlasorgue.fr/menudyn.html

I've also found good information if I take the bull by the horns and contact the tourist office directly.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:07 PM
faile626

i believe that one day, not so many years away, i, too, will think that 50 euros-a-night is a good deal for a hotel room in france. i'm working my way up! but until then....sue, the gite you stayed at sounds lovely. someday!

clairobscur, you and i are on the same page! i don't have much to spend, but i would rather spend it on a run-down room above a bar than an F1-type chain...but thank you, mpprh, for the link.

elvira, thanks for the link. i've looked at that page several times and have been trying to translate it. the bit with the accomodations isn't in english or euros..and i've found that most listings in francs have gone up significantly in price since the change. i was hoping there was another cheap traveler out there who could share her experiences there.

well, arles does sound lovely, and it does have several cheap hotels to choose from. i will look more closely at the isle sur la sorgue website elvira pointeed me to, though.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Sue

Faile, somehow I missed the hotel section of my brochure, which contains similar info to Elvira's website. I can tell you that of the two listed from 150-200 (23-30 euro, though, as you say, the prices may well have gone up), Le Vieux L'Isle (has restaurant) is smack dab in the middle, near tourist office and square and church, etc. Le Cours (has bar, shaded terrace) is on the southeast portion of the street which circles the island. It might be better for parking as the PO is across the river and there is parking behind the PO. If you should decide to stay there beware that parking is at a minimum on Sunday when there is the big market. Good luck!