Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Am I nuts do the Scavi Tour on the day of the Beautification of Mother Teresa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have tickets for the Scavi Tour on October 18 at noon. What time do you suggest we leave from the Spaninsh Steps to get there since it's such a big day in Rome? I really want to do this tour. But we do have to go through normal security, I think. What does a day like that do to the Vatican?

Please help1!

Diane
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:15 AM

"the beautification of Mother Teresa" ? How are they beautifying her ?
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:17 AM

The actual beatification ceremony won't be until Sunday, the 19th.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Yes you would be were it the same day. The Beatification is on Sunday 19th, I am fairly certain the Scavi is closed every Sunday (Vatican not in favour of Sunday trading). You will not be able to get near the Scavi on that Sunday. However... Saturday should be no problem. Remember, no large impedimentia eg bags, unnecessary coats, obvious cameras, other clutter, which can be left in yr hotel or in the left luggage at the left hand side of St Peter's. To get to these you go through the security checkpoint near the Bronze door, and these (and restrooms) are straight ahead. Go up the steps, past the very front of St Peter's, down the steps on the other side, past the Swiss Guard (he will want to know your business) under the Arch of Bells, at the left of St Peter's. Alternatively you could just walk up the left side of the square without clutter. The Swiss Guards salute all men. That Saturday will be fairly chaotic around the middle of the day, the usual tourists plus a great many pilgrims at the Vatican. 10.00 if walking.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

So what time should I get to the Vatican for a noon tour that will give me time to get through security considering it is a big week end in Rome?

Diane
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:32 AM

perhaps 11am? If this is too early for the tour, you can still visit St Peter's itself, including the grottoes (first level underneath the floor whereas Scavi are second level down)watch the "Sampietrini" hanging the banner of Mother Teresa on the facade, and set out tens of thousands of plastic chairs in the piazza.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 09:56 AM

I saw it too, Geoff, but I was too polite to mention it
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who didn't mention it! What a wonderful typo I made. Not even spell check would have picked that one up.

Thanks to all who gave me the help I needed. I worte the Vatican with another question and they gave me an answer that led me to believe the beatification was on the same day as our tour. Last year when we toured the Vatican, they were doing one the following Sunday. I saw all the chairs, imagined the crowds, and really got concerned about our Scavi Tour. We will definitely go early.

Diane