Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Am I insane? Planning a trip for 7 females to Ireland August 2013 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/am-i-insane-planning-a-trip-for-7-females-to-ireland-august-2013-a-934870/)

GreenDragon May 11th, 2012 10:39 AM

Am I insane? Planning a trip for 7 females to Ireland August 2013

This will be my 5th trip to Ireland, and 8th to the Isles. Two (K and V) have been with me to Ireland once each, and one of those (K) plus another (C) have been with me to Scotland. Three (R, A and N) have never been to Europe, or any other country except the Caribbean.

I've traveled in some way with most of these (A is a friend of C, I've not met her yet).

Our plan is for August, but this is reliant on when K can get vacation. She's put in for August, July or June, in that order of preference, but she's low woman on the totem pole, so may get NONE of these. We won't know for certain until March, but that's how it goes.

I fully expect for the players to change a couple times. Likely we will have 4-5 in the end, but right now it's 7. Some of these are going to be one-weekers, either leaving us halfway through the two week trip, or joining us after a week has past. One (V) because the other week she will be in Wales visiting her grandfather there.

I set up a Facebook page, and got everyone on board. I posted picture albums of about 50 different places around Ireland, some I'd seen, some new. I gave them a couple months to look through the places, read the descriptions, etc. Then I set up a poll and let them vote on what they were interested in seeing.

I chose the top sites, and set up 7 different itineraries with most of the sites in them. They then voted on those. My purpose is to make sure EVERYONE has input!

So, the voted on itinerary (#2) was as follows:

Fly into Dublin Airport
Day 1 - Dublin
Day 2 - Dublin
Day 3 - Carlingford or Ardee
Day 4 - Carlingford or Ardee
Day 5 - Carlingford or Ardee
Day 6 - Donegal (not sure where in the County yet)
Day 7 - Donegal
Day 8 - Donegal
Day 9 - Westport
Day 10 - Westport
Day 11 - Dingle (yes, I know this is going to be a very long day)
Day 12 - Dingle
Day 13 - Kenmare
Day 14 - Kenmare
Day 15 - Kenmare
Day 16 - fly home from Shannon Airport (I've done this early morning drive to the airport before)

We will be renting 2 cars if we have more than 4.

I am now researching both places to visit in each spot and lodgings. We prefer B&Bs, within staggering distance of at least one pub (preferably more, if the one is dodgy). We like trad music, but don't insist upon it. We need the B&B to have WiFi, V needs to be in touch with her email due to work. We like them to be charming (think thatched rooves, though we can't find suitable ones in our areas). Close to downtown is nice, but we prefer that in smaller villages. Don't like the big cities. Our budget is around E40-45 a night per person. We are looking for at least one Castle stay. We love chatting with the hosts and making new friends.

As far as sites, we all are shutterbugs, and love landscapes, seascapes, etc. That's what Ireland is great at :) We aren't big into shopping, unless it's local crafts. We like ruins, church architecture, folk parks, gardens.

Pub, B&B and site recommendations greatly appreciated!

longhorn55 May 11th, 2012 10:55 AM

In answer to your title question--"Yes, you are insane, but it sounds like you have done a good job of planning this and herding your group of cats."

My recommendation for a B&B in Kenmare would be Abbey Court B&B. We enjoyed a nice afternoon chat with our host, Brendan, and he gave us lots of good hiking information (which is why we were there.) The property is about a 10-15 minute walk from the center of Kenmare and we easily walked to dinner each evening. It is also located next to the ruins of an abbey which should make for some excellent photos. (Even my amateur photos came out well.)

greg May 11th, 2012 11:14 AM

Here is the required reading for this type of travel :-)
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-sorrento.cfm

BigRuss May 11th, 2012 11:37 AM

I agree with greg - you're bats--t crazy to do this (and I've read most of that thread he linked to). You may even be bats--t crazy to consider it.

The only way this will work is if you don't have R, A, N on the trip because at least the others have been to countries where the natives speak a bastardized form of English and have experienced both the weather and the local cuisine. It's the newbies who are on their first trip to ___ that really gum up the works.

StCirq May 11th, 2012 11:43 AM

IME, these trips never end up being fun.

Tony2phones May 11th, 2012 11:49 AM

I think you are nuts on two counts..First going straight from Westport to Dingle. Second driving from Kenmare to Shannon for a morning flight.

But then you already know they are both daft!

janisj May 11th, 2012 11:49 AM

%%- You probably read my trip report way back - yes, you are totally bonkers/mad ;)

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...in-england.cfm

Cathinjoetown May 11th, 2012 12:11 PM

Janis' thread is must reading, well, so is the other on the Amalfi Coast. Herding cats of course comes to mind.

Just curious, how are you moving from place to place? Even the 7-seaters have limited luggage space. And, while deisirable, you can't count on one or two dropping out.

Your budget is fine for Ireland, most good twin B&B rooms should be around 60-70€ per room, including breakfast, leaving enough for a castle splurge.

Westport to Dingle is a drive, particularly as there are things to see along the way. There used to be a great upscale craft shop just outside Doolin but that's awhile ago so not sure about it and there's the Burren, which is spectacular. Maybe cut a day in Donegal and stay one night south of Galway?

Maybe last night near Bunratty? I actually thought the banquet was fun.

One last thing, if I were going I would be sure people were okay with my (or anyone else) striking out on my own for a few hours or for the day, when feasible. There's nothing worse than 7 people joined at the hip for an entire trip.

Best of luck--groups can be fun, it's all about setting detailed expectations.

beachlovinmom May 11th, 2012 12:26 PM

I am also planning a trip for a group of women currently about 9. Setting up a facebook page is a great idea. I am going to have to try that. Thanks and good luck

Ackislander May 11th, 2012 01:16 PM

The first thing I would check is the weather. In the West Highlands of Scotland, August is the wettest month because of winds coming across the Atlantic. I would be surprised if Ireland, not the driest place ever, is not similar.

Now, how would your friends handle never quite being dry, frizzy hair, and general gloom? September is better almost everywhere.

GreenDragon May 11th, 2012 03:10 PM

Good points, all! We will have 2 vehicles, and know full well that we can go off on our own. Another reason to stay at b&bs in town. I went with 6 of us to Scotland, and now know not to mix family and friends. Most of the girls have performed at Renaissance festivals with me, either as a wench or a belly dancer. We are used to, shall we say, inclement conditions :).

A has been to the Caribbean, as a performer, so she has some exposure. N is still young and trainable. Oh the ages range from 25 to 44. Most of us have been good friends for 10 years. A and N are the only new friends, and N is my roommate.

I am not a fan of one-nighters at all, and as beautiful as the Burren is, some cuts are needed. Vibratory the last night is a possibility.

GreenDragon May 11th, 2012 03:11 PM

And, yes, I've read both threads before, but will go back and re read.

mamcalice May 11th, 2012 04:55 PM

You may be a bit daft but you can limit your exposure if you have your traveling companions be responsible for various aspects of your trip. That way you are not held responsible for everything.

As an example, have each person responsible for the research for one place you will visit, including lodgings and restaurants. They will appreciate things more if they have input.

GreenDragon May 11th, 2012 05:10 PM

Just went back to read janisj's report again. No SCQ for me! We've already agreed on a method. None of us are penny pinchers, so we will just estimate. Tally at the end of the day.

Also, two of us have driven in both Ireland and Scotland and we will have two gps units. We all have similar interests. And I've already been thanked profusely by each if them for the research I've already done :)

jubilada May 11th, 2012 05:49 PM

I would never ever in a million years do this. But it sounds like you are committed, so best of luck.

GreenDragon May 11th, 2012 05:59 PM

Mamcalice that's a great idea! Thank you! I am insisting on input from each one.

janisj May 11th, 2012 07:40 PM

Green Dragon: "<i>We've already agreed on a method. None of us are penny pinchers, so we will just estimate. Tally at the end of the day. . . Also, two of us have driven in both Ireland and Scotland and we will have two gps units. We all have similar interests. And I've already been thanked profusely by each if them for the research I've already done</i>"

I'll trade my group for yours :D

cheapboxofwine May 11th, 2012 09:15 PM

I've found that the planner is usually the person that ends up taking the lead all the way through. Will you enjoy that? I just read Barb's trip report- what a hoot! I would either think seriously about your trip or make it clear to the group what you want your role to be upon arrival. With that group size do you think you will be able to find b and b's that can accommodate all of you in one place? I would like my own room and would make no qualms about it! Keep us posted-group dynamics are always interesting!

Padraig May 12th, 2012 12:41 AM

Carlingford or Ardee? No contest. It has to be Carlingford.

colduphere May 12th, 2012 03:37 AM

The best trips I have been on were groups of nine men (golfers) in Ireland and Scotland. A group of us just had a great hike in Peru. You will have a blast. Some of the people who post here seem a tad uptight in my view. Let er rip.

If you need a man somewhere along the line, drop me a line. I will rush over.