Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Am I crazy to go straight to Sorrento from the airport in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/am-i-crazy-to-go-straight-to-sorrento-from-the-airport-in-rome-706891/)

monica007 May 21st, 2007 01:14 PM

Am I crazy to go straight to Sorrento from the airport in Rome?

For my August trip to Italy, I'm flying in to Rome, flying out of Milan. We're there for a little over 3 weeks. I had originally planned to stay in Rome for 5 nights, then take train to Sorrento, spending 3 nights in Sorrento, before heading up north to Tuscany.
But considering we'll have major jet lag when we land in Rome, I was thinking of heading straight to Sorrento first for 3 nights, then head back north to Rome for the 5 nights before continuing to Tuscany.
I'm traveling with DH and two teen-age daughters. The major disadvantage I can see is that in going to Sorrento first, we have an awful long amount of traveling. But advantage is that we would be refreshed and semi-used to the 9 hour time difference (from San Diego) before we hit Rome.
Does anyone have advice to give me on this?

Images2 May 21st, 2007 01:35 PM

We've done just that, without any problem. I prebought our train tickets with reserved seating online ahead of time, but I'm not sure if that was necessary. You can sleep on the train south!

monica007 May 21st, 2007 01:38 PM

What was your travel time after leaving the airport and arrival in Sorrento?

kybourbon May 21st, 2007 02:31 PM

First you will have to get to the train station in Rome - Termini. I would book a limo service for transfer from the airport to the train station. This will be cheaper(35E)and easier than taking the airport express train (11E per person). www.romeshuttlelimousine.com

You will have to change trains in Naples.

Another easier option would be the bus depending on time of day you arrive. You would still need to take the limo service to the bus station. The bus doesn't involve a change in Naples like the train does. You also don't have to worry about keeping track you your luggage since it's stored underneath and no one has access until arrival. Buses only depart a few times a day, but you can book in advance.

There are several bus options. Marozzi departs Rome Tiburtina (6am and 3pm?)and you can book online after May 24. Travel time is about 3 hours. www.marozzivt.it

A new bus service listed is www.curreriviaggi.it

DeborahAnn May 21st, 2007 02:42 PM

monica, we went from Baltimore to Rome, arriving at 11:00am and were able to take the 12:45 Eurostar which we reserved at the airport before taking the Leonardo Express to Rome Termini. We took the local train to Sorrento from Naples in the midst of "rush hour", I think we were in Sorrento before 5pm. For our trip I did a search on Fodor's for paradiselost's very detailed directions for getting through the airport and train station hassle free. It was "priceless" ;;) Have a great trip. Deborah

Gina_07 May 21st, 2007 03:27 PM

We are planning to do exactly that. We will arrive in Rome and go to Sorrento on the same day. We did something similar in other countries (fly to Vienna and head to Salzburg immdeiately) and it worked. One good thing about it is that hotels are not ready early in the morning and you are already tired, anyway. By the time you get to Sorrento the hotel will be ready to check in and you can have a nice refreshing shower if you want. By the time you get to Rome, you will feel great.

Could you share please how you plan to go to Sorrento since we want to do the same? Thanks.

dorkforcemom May 21st, 2007 03:48 PM

In October, my husband & I did a similar trip. We flew DFW-FCO, landing in the morning, took the Leonardo Express to Rome's Termini, had time for a pick-me-up coffee, took the train (first class seats) to Naples. I did purchase train tickets online prior to travel. When we arrived at Naples, I had prearranged a shuttle service to drive us to our hotel in Sorrento. I had tossed the idea back & forth about continuing the train travel to Sorrento and was glad to have "upgraded" the last leg of this journey. Hope this experience helps in your plans...

Pausanias May 21st, 2007 03:59 PM

I've done it as far as Naples a couple of times. Usually drowsing off by the time we get there, but check in and grab a quick nap and you still enjoy the late afternoon. Sorrento is about an hour further on.

monica007 May 21st, 2007 08:17 PM

Well, according to Rick Steves, bus to Sorrento is the easiest way to get there from Rome. Our plane lands at 11 a.m. so I'll have to the schedules.

monica007 May 21st, 2007 08:42 PM

Well, that's what happens (typos) when you have a 12 year old breathing down your neck to use the laptop
Well, 4 hours by bus (according to Rick Steves) doesn't sound all that quick, and if we have to wait till 3 p.m. to take a bus, I don't see how we're saving time. I tried the Marozzi website, unfortunately, I can't locate the English tab, if there is one. The other website, curreviagi, seems to be some sort of coach-hire (like for groups).

The eurostar option sounds good, but I can't find info on the train to Naples on their website.

Will keep searching, thanks for all the advice.

adnil1962 May 22nd, 2007 04:38 AM

Just a thought - You could always contact the airline and instead of flying into Rome, fly directly to Naples instead. Some airlines will allow you to do this with only a $50 to $100 change fee. I guess it could be expensive for a family of 4 but would be easier...

We went from Naples to Rome via train as the bus that Rick Steves recommended left at a time that didn't work for us. It was an easy journey and you could always sleep on the train.

Sorrento is much more relaxing but I have heard that the Almafi Coast and Capri are swarming with tourists in the summer (we went in November).

kybourbon May 22nd, 2007 05:23 AM

Yes, the Marozzi website is in Italian, but if you wait until 5/24 you will be able to figure out buying tickets online. There will be a chart so you can select your seat. Price is about 20E.

For Curreri Viaggi, click English (it will start blinking, so click a 2nd time) and then click airport shuttle (twice again). The bus schedule will appear. Scroll to the bottom for the Rome/Sorrento schedule. The schedule says new and year round where Marozzi is only in summer. It says they leave Rome at 4:30 and arrive Sorrento at 8. There is an e-mail contact on the left side (contatti) if you want to ask them how to book the bus and where to catch it in Rome.

Most buses (and some overnight trains) leave from Rome Tiburtina, not Rome Termini. To get to Tiburtina from the airport, use a limo service or take the local train (not the Leonardo Express). It takes about 45 minutes and should cost about 5E.

If you are going to train to Sorrento, I would still take the limo to Termini. They will be waiting in the airport for you with a sign with your name on it. They will load your luggage and usually give you an overview of Rome as you are driving in to town. Be sure to get some Euro at the airport ATM to pay the limo driver.

You can't book trains for August yet (must be within 60 days of travel). The AV trains between Rome/Naples have been running specials (DueperUno)so select this under fare if available. If not, select standard.

When you get to Naples, you have to change trains. The local commmuter train (Circumvesuviana)to Sorrento is downstairs. Be sure everyone in your group can carry their luggage up and down a few flights of stairs. Tickets will be about 4E and travel time is 70 minutes.

Sher May 22nd, 2007 05:29 AM

Hi Monica

I don't know if you have followed the posts about the Naples train station.

One thing is that you may get bombarded with "attendants" looking official that want to be helpful to you finding your car on the train and with luggage, etc.

Just know that they do not officially work at the station and will expect a hefty tip for the help.

This is ok, but if you prefer not to have their help just be firm and say NO.

Have a good trip.

mari5 May 22nd, 2007 06:09 AM

The shuttle from Naples to Sorrento sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure you will enjoy the Naples train station after an all night flight, , transfers into Rome station, and the hassle of getting to Sorrento. Several people have testified that it was fine, and that is great----but why not make life easy.
YOu'll love Sorrento... nice for browsing the streets, or a hydrofoil to Capri, or to Pompeii, or the Amalfi Coast etc.
My idea would be to taxi into Rome, get comfortable (or walk around that first day,,, have a good nights rest and be refreshed for Rome the next day. This way you would be getting Rome "out of the way"..(SORRY, folks!)
BUT if you do it the reverse way...just be aware of the logistics of getting to Sorrento that jet lagged first day.
As someone suggested, flying into Naples would be a good option, but you probably have your arrangements made flying to Rome.
You have a beautiful trip planned for your family~~~and though August will be pretty warm and "touristy" it will still be wonderful fun. Hope you can do a trip report upon your return.