Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy about the hotel situation in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a 3-4 star hotel somewhere near the Spanish Steps or the Trevi Fountain. But, every time I read about a hotel I think I like, I look at pictures on trip advisor and the rooms look dirty. This may sound ridiculous; but we are also looking for a hotel that has a nice bar so we can come back with our friends and have a drink at the hotel if we want too. Sorry so long . Thanks for the help......
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Why don't you try here:
http://www.bbgliartisti.com

It's a B&B but it is so cool it would be like have an apartment to yourself. There are lots of bars in the area.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 01:42 AM

"Am I crazy about the hotel situation in Rome?"

Yes.

You can't possibly tell whether a hotel's clean from pictures on Trip Advisor or anywhere else - and I've never encountered an Italian 4* place where the housekeeping's anything other than impeccable anyway. If you're deluding yourself you can, the only sane explanation must be that you're confusing dirt with gloom or age. It is of course possible that you ARE mad, and have some kind of cleanliness fetish, in which case you might well be uncomfortable in any hotel, anywhere.

If you are sane, but just absurdly concerned about dirt, you shouldn't touch ANY B&B with a bargepole. A 4* has standards to meet, and will be staffed by professional hoteliers (which, in Italy means very professional indeed).

You've absolutely no way of knowing how a B&B deals with housekeeping - and a spanking photograph on the web merely tells you how good an art director the photographer was.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 03:07 AM

That sounds very odd to me. We stayed at the Senato opposite the Pantheon. It is spotless and there is a bar area off the lobby area:

http://www.albergodelsenato.it/
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 03:08 AM

..the B&B linked above by Webmaster is nowhere near your desired location.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:23 AM

I stayed at Hotel San Carlo, a 3 star, and found it to be very clean and convenient to all the things I wanted to do. It is on Via della Corrozze, just two mins. from Spanish Steps.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Yes, I think that does sound ridiculous. I've seen the interior of many Rome hotels and never found one to be dirty or unkempt. My last stay was at the Hotel Modigliani, about a 5-minute walk from the Spanish Steps, and it was impeccable.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:13 AM

awbunch:

as St. Cirq knows from other threads, we are also long-time fans of the Modigliani. If you'd like a charming, quiet (on a side street, Via Purificacion), then investigate the Modig. We've stayed at several other hotels in Roma over the years, and wife Roz especially abhors anything other than squeaky- clean...all met the test.
http://www.hotelmodigliani.com/

Stu Tower
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi aw,

we have friends who stayed at the Modigliani who have very high standards [lol] and recommended it highly to us. we didn't stay there as we decided an apartment would be better for us and our kids, but I would think that it would meet your exacting requirements.

and I can't remember a dirty hotel in Italy either.

regards, ann
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM
LJ

Perhaps it is the Italian decor aesthetic you are reacting to?It is very different from the North American business standard in a way that may not show up well on screen. Those skimpy little photos on Trip Advisor don't do justice to the beauty of some hotel rooms in Rome, esp. the Spanish Steps area which is served by some of the best hotels in the country.

Maybe you'd be more comfortable in a Hilton, Holiday Inn or other chain? I don't mean this in a condescending way at all...I have a very dear friend who will happily open his mind to performance art, open his mouth to squid ink pasta, but simply does not like to sleep in a room that is unlike the chains he knows from home.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM
yk

I am curious as to which hotel and which photos on TA that show the rooms being dirty. IME, the "Hotel photos" provided by the hotels themselves are the exact same ones posted on the hotels' websites.

If the OP is referring to the "Travelers Photos" taken by hotel guests, I find those photos usually so poorly taken (poor lighting, out-of-focus) that it is really impossible for me to tell if it's clean or dirty.

Once in a while, I'd read a review on TA with a poster complaining about mold or mildew in the bathroom, with a photo to prove his/her point. In those cases, I guess I either take the review with a grain of salt, or just move on to the next hotel. (99% of the time, the close-up shot of the bathroom mildew shows up as an out-of-focus shot of white tiled wall).
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM

I'm sure there are some hotels out there that are dirty, and maybe you've seen some of them on tripadvisor. But you've gotten some excellent recommendations there.

About going back to your hotel bar with your friends. In Rome. Why not go, instead to a beautiful bar/cafe in a fantastic setting in Piazza Navona or by the Pantheon. I know some hotel bars are nice, but IMHO, those other settings are always better.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM

You might want to read the reviews closely, rather than relying on the photos (especially candid photos that may be poorly lit or show the guests' belongings strewn about.) Most reviewers comment on the level of cleanliness, pointing out if there is a problem. That will likely be far more telling.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM

I wonder if it's like men & women for cleanliness - women find muck where a man sees clean
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM

We stayed in a nice hotel near the Spanish Steps that I can recommend to you. Our twin room was in their apartment annex, with access to the hotel for its little bar and very nice breakfast room (included breakfast). It is the Domus Julia, just below the Barberini Palace and very near the Spanish Steps, at via Rasella 32. It's on a relatively quiet side street. It's very clean and charming. (We were there two years ago)

While in Rome, I picked up cards from these two nearby hotels, which looked very nice, but also more expensive than our Domus Julia:__

La Lumiere di Piazza di Spagna (Spanish steps), has rooftop dining, is in an old mansion on Condotti street. More expensive than our Hotel Julia, I'm sure. www.lalumieredipiazzadispagna.com.__

Hotel Barberini, Via Rasella 3, a four-star just up the street from the Domus Julia, across from Barberini Palace and near the Spanish steps. [email protected]__

Good luck in your search.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM

I stayed in the hotel Mozart lovely roof top cafe quiet street very near spanish steps beautiful marbel bathrooms
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Try B&B Baldassini, it is fantastic!!! Has great reviews on Trip advisor as well!!

You can use my discount code if you like BBB777 - It is very reasonably priced and right near the Pantheon. Heaps of fantastic bars right there in front of the Pantheon.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 05:05 AM

I recommend www.hoteljulia.it
It is right near the Trevi.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM

For clarification, the Domus Julia I recommended above, is the annex to the Hotel Julia. We checked in at the Hotel Julia, and had breakfast there. It is very nice.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM

I can't imagine how a photo of a hotel room could show dirt - unless there were giant stains on the walls or carpet or something. Are you talking about an actual lack of clenliness. You won't find that in an upscale Italian hotel.

Perhaps you could provie links to the photos of dirt so others could see what you mean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -