Spain trip: please comment

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain trip: please comment

I'll be in Spain for 18 days in March/April. I listed all the transportation I'll be using, and it seemed like a lot of traveling.

I'll start by saying that I have visited Madrid and Barcelona multiple times, so I'm not spending much time in either city. I spent three days in Málaga for Semana Santa last year, and I want to stay there for the whole week this year.

3/26--Lv Spokane
3/27--arr Madrid--airport bus to town
3/28--Madrid, day trip to Aranjuez

3/29--train to Cuenca
3/30--Cuenca

3/31--train back to Madrid, (AVE--under an hour,
then train to Málaga--AVE under 3 hours

3/31--to 4/7 Málaga--day trip to Nerja at some point

4/7--fly to Barcelona
4/8--Barcelona
4/9--Barcelona--day trip to Montserrat
4/10--Barcelona--day trip to Girona

4/11- AVE train to Madrid--around 3 hours
4/12--flight home

I've divided the days according to which city I'll be staying in. Still, it looks like a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. What do you think.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM

Well, you are set in staying a week in Malaga which is the only portion of your itinerary I would suggest changes to; split time in Malaga and spend some time in/near Seville. You will be there 2 weeks prior to Holy Week so it should be reasonably priced. If you have not been to Seville or any of the Pueblos Blancos it is almost a crime to be so close and not visiting!
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

I agree that a week is a long time to spend in Málaga. I wouldn't stay so long, but there were things I especially wanted to see. On Palm Sunday, the processions begin. And on Maundy Thursday, the Spanish Foreign Legion marches. That's something I very much want to see.

On Good Friday at night, all the lights are turned off in the stores, and the processions appear to last through the night. I wanted to experience Good Friday night in Málaga.

I've been to Sevilla several times. It's one of my favorite Spanish cities. Last year I spent five days there during Semana Santa, but it rained on four of the five days, so they didn't have processions on those days. I've also been to Ronda, Zafra, Mérida, and Córdoba, Granada, and I've driven all over the place. Wonderful countryside with some spectacular geololgy.

I think your suggestion of seeing some of the white hill towns is a good one, but I've decided to do this whole trip on public transportation, as opposed to driving, as I did the last two times I visited this area. If I can find a way to see one or more via public transportation, I will do so.

Semana Santa begins on Sunday, April 1, so I will actually be in Spain for 5 days prior to Holy Week. I wanted to see Cuenca, and I wasn't able to get reservations at the Posada de San José in Cuenca after Holy Week. My desire to see Cuenca is one of the things that shaped my itinerary.

I also wanted to be in Madrid for at least one full day so that I could visit the National Archeological Museum. I have read a couple of fascinating histories of Spain and I want to see the artifacts what remain from all these cultures. Also, I especially want to see la Dama de Elche.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:24 AM

Peg: If you already have air, disregard, but why not fly home out of Barcelona?

In Barcelona, if not done before, consider day trip by train up to Figuera, Salvador Dali museum.

Also, in Nerja, be sure to get lunch at Ayo's on Burriana Beach, for arguably the best paella in Spain. All you can eat for 6€ (in 2010).
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:27 AM

Malaga bus station has buses along the coast and inland (buy tickets inside) and it is next to the train station. From travel agents you can book a trip to Morocco, Faro in Portugal, etc.

Not a lot in Malaga other than museums, etc but it is central for getting to other places, even maybe a short train ride west along the coast to some resorts.

A number of local and express buses go to Nerja (pronounced Nerka) and beyond but for the caves you want a bus going to the "Cuevas de Nerja" which is a few miles further, next to Maro.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Bill, I already have air. I used frequent flyer miles. I've assumed that I couldn't go into one city and out of another if I'm using ff miles, but next time I'll check. It makes much more sense than having to go back to the original city just to fly home.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Cyberia: Can you suggest towns along the coast that I might enjoy for day trips? The Cuevas de Nerja sound interesting, as long as I don't have to walk uphill too long.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:31 PM

Peg,

Regarding the FF tickets, I fly with them all the time and most of them allow arriving one city, departing from another(obviously, the airline and/or partners must offer service to the cities). Check if they would allow change without a charge. Sometimes they do.