Reload this Page >

Am I being a "Nervous Nelly"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:36 AM
annieh

I am traveling to Europe in March for the first time and am anxious about the language - my lack of skills - while traveling in France. I will be going it alone for 9 days and want to spend those days in Paris and the surrounding areas.<BR><BR>My husband does not want me to do this on my own. I have travelled on my own in the States all the time - driving by myself, booking my own excursions, doing my own thing. He is very anxious about this solo part of my trip and is making me anxious.<BR><BR>What do you all think?

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Jody

Good for you...! You should encounter no problems with the language in and around paris..learn a few simple phrases , smile and there will be all sorts of people to help you. Enjoy yourself!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:41 AM
janis

I travel solo about half the time. In places I know the languages, but very often where I do not. You will be fine in France/Paris. I would suggest getting a French language tape to study a couple of weeks before your trip. Not to try to get fluent or anything - but simply so you are used to the sounds/pronunciations/simple phrases. <BR><BR>If you know the basics - menu terms, travel words and please/thank you/pardon me/ etc's you will be fine. <BR><BR>I go to Paris every few years and am slowly learning more and more French - but even the first few times I didn't run into many problems.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:43 AM
lbb

My first trip to Europe was to visit a friend in Switzerland. He was working the whole time so I was touring alone. I spent some time in the French speaking part of Switzerland and some time in France. <BR><BR>Truly I think that I got a better response being alone. People felt the need to help me out since I was alone. I did take my phrase book with me everywhere and attempted to ask questions in French. <BR><BR>I also found myself talking to the locals a lot more than I would have if I had a traveling companion. <BR><BR>It sounds like you are independant so I would say go for it! <BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Thyra

You will be fine! Don't worry, it's normal to be anxious... however, for your own piece of mind I strongly suggest you go out to your local book store and buy one of those "French for Traveller's" tapes and books, (usually about $20.00) just so that you can be polite and say please and thank you. I have found that if you at least make an effort at simple polite expresssions, the French will be extra polite in return. <BR>In terms of driving,,, well.. I would definately take a train if I were you. So much easier not to stress about taking a wrong turn, but that is just me. I would get a sample/suggested itinerary, and then just book train tickets.. the train system in France is one of the best in the world. It will make it about 80% easier for you, in my opinion. Also, when you arrive in a local train station, you will have access to a great deal of Tourist Information and assistance, that should help you tremendously. In short, learn a few phrases, take trains, (you might consider booking hotels in advance too, so that you can arrive in a location, hop off the train, and grab a taxi to your hotel without having to actually find a room though March is generally a good time for finding rooms at the spur of the moment.) don't worry you will be fine and have no problems.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Melissa

I've traveled around Europe by myself, knowing only the fundamental phrases, and survived. However, I would not recommend it in Paris. Parisians are kind of snippy even to fellow francais. If you're insistent on going, I would highly recommend learning as much as you possibly can- the Foreign Service has excellent audio tapes that teach you pretty much every phrase you need to know to get by (I used them to learn a little Greek). But beware, no matter how much you know, Parisians will still treat you like an American tourist.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Pat

Recently visited Paris and found that almost everyone there will speak English. I have very basic French language skills (enough to read a menu) and managed well. I also had a French/English dictionary with me but rarely needed it. Most people respond well if you are respectful and friendly.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:06 AM
greg

To say there will be no problem would be stretching the reality. You will have problems, but for tourist type of situations, the language in itself will not hinder you from getting what you want to get done, eventually.<BR><BR>French can tolerate your lack of French, except for few (to be mentioned later), if you do the manner part correctly.<BR><BR>Whether you can speak fluently or not it is unexcusable not saying "Bonjour/Bonsoir Monsieur/Madame" before dealing with people. That includes metro/SNCF ticket clerk, restaurant, hotel registeration, taxi driver, salespeople, etc, etc. If you start talking to people without this ritual, no amount of fluent French will salvage the relationship during that encounter.<BR><BR>Many can speak English fluently, but you MUST ask first if they speak English, in French if possible, but in English if you need to. Start asking other questions abruptly in English, and keep talking louder and louder is a great way to get snippy responses. You wouldn't like it and neither do they.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Fred

If you don't speak a word of French, you'll still be OK. Just about every store, restaurant has someone who speaks English. Most restaurants have English menus or a translation on the French menu. However, it's more fun if you know a few simple words such as hello, thank you, good-bye, and most important, where are the toilets. You can get an audio tape such as Berlitz for Travelers from larger book stores with which you can learn them very quickly. You won't have any trouble in Paris. No tours are necessary - just walk out and start strolling. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Christina

I am a fairly independent person but I had a lot of troubles when first going to Paris before I learned French, and I had traveled a little before to foreign countries, and certainly all over the US by myself. If you have never been to a foreign country that is not bilingual (ie, Quebec in Canada is no problem), I don't think you should go in assuming everyone speaks English because they do NOT (and demanding or presuming it is worse), and that there will be no problems and everything will be simple. People who work in 3* plus hotels will speak English (at least most of the staff, not cleaning staff or possibly night desk clerk), but less educated people will not necessarily know English and certainly not fluently. This is common sense, less educated people don't usually speak foreign languages in many countries. I've had many cab drivers and clerks who didn't speak English much in France, even in Paris.<BR><BR>I can give you some tips to smooth the way, I'm not saying it will be terrible or a big problem, but I don't think it's as casual as some others do: <BR>1) do NOT arrive without a hotel reservation; 2) take a cab to your hotel, don't try to save a couple dollars by trying to use public transportation at that point; 3) stay in the central area where they are used to tourists and there will be a lot of tourists, and language problems will be minimized, you will usually find clerks and hotel staff that know English there and many menus are translated to English in that area; 4) of course, get a travelers' language guide; 5) not sure what you mean by the surrounding areas or what kind of trip you are planning--stick to public transportation or even bus day trip tours (eg, Parisvision); 6) to easy your husband's mind, call him frequently;<BR><BR>7) if you are really anxious and your husband is worrying too much, book an air+hotel independent tour package for peace of mind (ie, Trafalgars has one)--these are a little more than a simple air+hotel package as they will include a first-day overview tour of the city and should include a "host" or "hostess" at your hotel for a certain amount of time each day to help you with any questions or problems. A good hotel concierge or desk clerk can be helpful, but don't expect a clerk in a 2-3 star hotel to really provide as much help as a concierge or one of those tour hosts will.<BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:43 AM
mpprh

Hi <BR><BR>to say : <BR><BR>Author: Pat ([email protected])<BR>Date: 09/19/2002, 12:47 pm<BR>Message: Recently visited Paris and found that almost everyone there will speak English.<BR><BR>This is rubbish.<BR><BR>But you will still have a great time !<BR><BR>Bon voyage<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:44 AM
annieh

You guys are great!!! Thank you so much. <BR><BR>Bottom line I am reading is - Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. My husband accuses me of being overly polite when we are in public here (saying thank you to door holders, wait staff and clerks, excuse me in the grocery store, goodbye and thank you when leaving shops in town), so respectful greetings, loudness of voice and pleasant demeanor shouldn't be a problem - got that handled.<BR><BR>I will taking the tunnel train on Wednesday from London. I plan on staying in the Latin Quarter and using a personal tour guide the first day or two. <BR><BR>I have researched the hotels and typical go, see, do stuff on this site. Got three tour books and the basic to immetermediate Living Language French tapes I will start playing in my car. <BR><BR>My intended outlying excurions are: Vaux-le-Vicomte, Mont St. Michel, Chartes and Giverny via public transportaion which shouldn't be a problem.<BR><BR>I did look into the Tralfalgars independent tours and I think that would give me the freedom I desire while providing the security blanket my husband requires.<BR><BR>Thanks again for your help.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:49 AM
annieh

While I'm at it - Got any recommendations for personal tour guides in Paris?

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:53 AM
JOdy

I was just looking up this website for you !!parisfinder.traveurope.net/PF-index.html ]<BR><BR>Michael gets just about everybody's vote! We have hime booked for 3 days in October ..a group of friends we're meeting up with! Also do a search using Michael Osman and france and you'll gets loads of insight!<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:57 AM
JOdy

Typed too fast! Site is <BR><BR>http://parisfinder.traveurope.net/PF-index.html <BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:03 AM
annieh

Thanks - I've seen his name before on here. I'll make a note.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Susan

Annie, I've only been to Paris once, was traveling with a friend but spent a lot of time solo, stayed in the Latin Quarter, don't speak French. Like you I am friendly and polite, normally. I LOVED Paris!! I'm not a museum person, & mostly just wandered around thru gardens, parks, sidewalks, shops in the 5th-7th arrondisements.<BR><BR>Parisian people were friendly enough (like in any large city, it reminded me of Manhattan in this way). You'll have a great time!<BR><BR>My only two suggestions: 1) Take a business card from your hotel upon arrival and keep it with you. I got myself soooooo lost within a few blocks of mine one afternoon. This way you could always catch a taxi back (even if it's just a few blocks away!). 2) If you get flustered, for whatever reason, find a nice sidewalk cafe and sit yourself down. Order a coffee or a glass of wine, watch the people go by and collect your wits.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Michele

We got a kick out of "trying" to speak French to the Parisians. We would ask a question and they would answer back in English. It really put us at ease.<BR><BR>However in Brussels I asked a question in French and the gentleman answered me in Russian. In my shock I <BR>said in English, “Russian?!?” Then he said, “Oh, you speak English.” It was very cool.<BR><BR><BR><BR>BTW, we used Michael Osman for a day touring. He was the best!!!<BR><BR>