Am. football bowl game-TV in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I'm a Philistine. Deal with it. I'm looking for a place in Paris to watch the Ohio State-Notre Dame football game January 2. Bar? Cloister? Home? Any suggestions?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM

You could try the American Consulate for what it’s worth. You also have to remember that there is a 6 or 7-hour time difference, depending on where the game is being played, so it will probably be a very early morning game. I’d normally make a rude comment about ‘getting a life’, but at least you’ll be in Paris.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM

I will be in Paris during the Superbowl, we have cable TV with the apartment we are renting. Does anyone have a thought as to whether it will be on or will we have to venture out to a bar/pub in the middle of the night to watch it? thanks...lynda
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:21 PM

I am a Buckeye, also (at least undergrad), but don't like football, anyway, so never went to a game the entire time I went to school there. Just wanted to mention that a few posts on here in the past six months or so have asked about places in Paris to watch American football games, so perhaps you can find them with a search?

I don't know what you are asking about a "cloister" in Paris and watching football games. I think the best possibilities are some sports bars, but I don't know if they show college football games.

I have never seen American sports on cable channels in Paris, and can't think of what possible cable channel that would be. However, I don't like to watch TV sports, so I'll admit I've never looked for one. The cable channels are usually for arts, movies, or British/German/Italian channels in my experience.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Email your school's athletic department and ask if there's an expat group in Paris or what provider (Sky?), if any, you'd be able to view it on in Paris. Good luck.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 04:48 PM

This was discussed here just couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, my experience from the many, many European trips has been that NFL is possible on Sundays, but it's limited to 1 or 2 prime time games. BTW, the one poster stating that the games would be shown live early in the morning was incorrect. An afternoon game here in US, if shown live, would be in the evening to late evening in Europe, depending where it's played.

I have never ever seen a college game televised live in Europe, but I really never looked that hard. You have to understand that Saturday, when most college games are played in US, is a very busy football (soccer) day all over Europe. Most sport channels are very much occupied with live games and then analysis and reports. The equivalent would be to expect FOX TV to show an important European soccer game here in US on December Sunday afternoon. It's just not going to happen.

Is there some ex-pat bar somewhere in Paris? possible... Having a true satelite feed just for college games? doubtful...Some late night sport channel showing a recorded college football game? your best chance IMHO...

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 05:19 PM

The earliest an afternoon American college game would be shown in France would have a starting time of 6:00 pm (18h00) if broadcast live. The Fiesta Bowl is scheduled for 3:00 pm MST, making it 23:00 (11:00 pm) Paris time. The game itself probably will not begin until after midnight Paris time, when most places are closing down for the night. The game's highlights may be shown the following morning on Sky TV or CNN Sports.

To lyndash. The Super Bowl is usually shown live in Western Europe, but you'll have to check with the people whom you got the apartment from and see what satellite services they are signed up for. They may only have a local/EU cable service.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 08:17 PM
esm

My son was able to sign up and watch college basketball games (streaming on his computer) while studying abroad in Paris. I don't know if this is an option for you but the links are:

http://www.cstv.com/media/livegame.html
http://allaccess.cstv.com/media/index.jsp

They checked the IP address to make sure it was outside US and had to be paid with a credit card with a billing address outside US. Good luck.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the Superbowl replys. I'm hoping since some NFL type fooball is played in europe now that we have a shot to see it on cable. I know there were bars that had the NFL playoff games when I was in Florence this past Jan. so I will hope for the best. I'll share the results after our return mid Feb. lynda
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 06:57 AM

It took Google less than a second to find this:

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/6125222