Always a line at the Louvre?

Feb 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Always a line at the Louvre?

We will be in Paris on Sat/Sun, September 8,9, 2007. Any thoughts about avoiding a line at the Lourve?
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Buy the ticket in advance

http://tinyurl.com/yw8ag5
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM

We spent several days in Paris in Sept '05, and went to the Louvre on a weekend. The line was about 8 people long in the morning, and maybe 40 in the afternoon. The 40 was processed in less than 5 minutes, during which I was totally engrossing in gazing around the plaza; if I'd been processed immediately, I wouldn't have had time to take in the vista and imbed it in my memory. We went another time on a weekday, but it was some national holiday (we visited some cabinet minister's office) and the line was even less. Sort of a non-line
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM

or get a Museum Pass, and you'll be able to enter via a special entrance (under the archway to the north of the pyramid)
Feb 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Hi

The following instructions were taken from another poster. Thanks to these suggestions we walked straight through - no queueing! We went on a Wednesday afternoon, after 3pm. We bought our ticket from the Tourist Bureau (Eiffel Tower). But I think you can buy them at the metro stations too. The ticket price includes two metro tickets. The metro is important - read on to find out why!

"Evening openings until 9.45pm on Wednesdays and Fridays. A highly-recommended entrance is the underground entrance from the metro stop “Palais Royal-Musee du Louvre”. Either splurge and use a ticket to enter the metro or, if you are already coming off a metro train, exit at the far end of the platform where the sign says “direct access to the Louvre” and you will walk through a security check, then the Carrousel shops, and into the central ticket and information area."

The poster also suggested the following:

• Another way to avoid the long queues at the Pyramid entrance in the main courtyard is by going in through the Porte des Lions, at the far south-eastern wing of the Museum near the river. This is normally very quiet (though it is closed on Fridays).
• Another way to avoid queues is to buy tickets in advance on the internet (www.louvre.fr) or by phone (0033 142 313228 - allow at least two weeks for postage). They are valid for entry on any day (there is no date stamp) and allow admission without queuing at the special entrance in the passage Richelieu (between the Place du Palais Royal and the Cour Napoléon, or via the Carrousel du Louvre shopping area - access through 99 rue de Rivoli or the Carrousel garden). Go directly to the checkpoint at the entrance of the collections to show your ticket.

Planning the day
• Before deciding when to go, check on room closures. Each day, about 20 per cent of galleries are closed on a rolling schedule, because of staff shortages. You can check on the website, or at the information desks, for the latest timetable. Some key rooms never close. Longer-term closures include the Gallery of Apollo (closed until 2004, though the contents are currently on display in room 64, 1st floor, Sully).

Avoiding crowds
• The busiest days are during June-August, when tourism is at its peak. I suggest going on Wednesday or Friday, the late closure days. Visit after 3pm and crowds have reduced.
Feb 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Good advice - thanks!