Altitude sickness in Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I were planning to go to Switzerland in June or July. We will fly into Zurich and beyond that we have no idea of where to go or what to do. We thought we would stay in Zurich for 4or 5 nights and take several day tripS and then move on to Lauderbaunnen, stay
a few nights there and also take some day trips. We have 14 days to spend in Switzerland.
But my major concern is altitude sickness. I have has problems twice in the US and am very
concerned about Switzerland. Is there enough to do or see w/o running the risk of altitude
problems? Would love any suggestions for recommended itinerary. Thanks so much.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 04:22 PM

First of all I would not spend so much time in Zurich - which is primarily a business city. If you want to spend a day or two seeing museums and shopping OK - but you are much better off using Lucern as a base. It is a charming small city on a lovely lake worth a couple of days itself. There are lake steamers that go to small villages around the lake as well as taking you to the baes from which you can ascend the mountains.

As for mountain sickness - at what altitude did it develop. It sounds like you won;t want to do the trip up the Jungfrau - magnificent - but at 12K feet plus it is noticable that there is less oxygen in the air and we needed to do everythng more slowly. But there are many lower mountains - Pilatus, Titlis, Rigi etc - which are only 6 or 7K feet and yuo might be able to enjoy those - by cable car or cog railway.

If that is still too high for you there are many places with charming villages - esp up from Interlaken on the feet of the Jungfrau - that are much lower and probably would not be a problem for you. (Perhaps 3K feet or so - I really don;t know but you can google.)

If you want to ignore the mountains all together - except for looking at them - there is plenty to do in the lowlands. I would focus on Lucern, one of the towns near Interlaken, Bern, Basel and many of the towns in that area - which have a host of intersting castles, churches and small quaint towns as well as interesting museums. We especially like Thun, Gruyere, Neuchatel and Brienz - and the nearby Ballenberg Museum of Swiss Life.

Also you might head to Geneva, seeing Montreux (with famed Chillon Cstle)and nearby Vevey. You might want to land in Zurich and return from Geneva to avoid backtracking.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 07:08 PM

What elevation did you begin to experience problems in the US?
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 08:26 AM

You will rarely be at really high altitudes or don't have to be except for perhaps a trip like to the Jungfraujoch - at about 11,300 feet - but even in that area you can stay in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen which are about 3,000 feet elevation or so - so yes what is your threshold of altitude sickness.
Old Apr 19th, 2014, 08:45 AM

Mavip, I agree with NYtraveler above - Lucern is a lovely town with access to other venues. I thought that Montreux with the Castle of Chillon was one of the most beautiful spots I had ever seen.

Enjoy Switzerland ...