Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Alternatives to Des Alpes Hotel in Luzern? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/alternatives-to-des-alpes-hotel-in-luzern-493319/)

Charliemom Jan 6th, 2005 07:29 PM

Alternatives to Des Alpes Hotel in Luzern?

Greetings Fodorites and residents of Luzern:
I've read the threads re/lodging in Luzern.
Love the looks of Des Alpes Hotel but $205 (dbl) for a river view in early May '05 is making me shiver. Any Luzern B&B's to suggest or cozy little towns on the outskirts? Love to keep lodging under $125 US for the 2 of us. We have a car.
Thank you, all!
Charliemom

Travelnut Jan 7th, 2005 03:20 AM

This is a two-star and doesn't have the river view, but it was clean (spartan furnishings) w/ private bath(shower) and good breakfast.

Author: Travelnut
Date: 10/05/2003, 04:53 pm
Message: LUCERNE - We arrived in Lucerne in the late afternoon of Sunday September 28, and checked into Hotel Goldener Stern, about 2 blocks behind the Jesuit church. Our room was two twins (135 Sfr) overlooking the garden of the Franciscan church, and while very plain, was clean and comfortable. We learned after two nights that you should really like church bells if you stay here! They ring 1, 2 and 3 times for the quarter-hour, 4 times + the hours at the top of the hour, 24/7. Now, while I heard them I do not think they greatly disturbed my sleep, while RK is more restless and woke up several times. I believe I left the windows slightly ajar for coolness, but if you can close them completely it should muffle the bells somewhat. Other than this charming? foible, we like the Goldener Stern *, and found it to be well-located, just a short stroll to the riverbank and then cross any of 4 bridges to reach the market squares, painted buildings, and cafés on the tourist side.
* my husband now says the bells didn't bother him and this is where we would stay if visiting again

Travelnut Jan 7th, 2005 03:23 AM

We walked to the hotel from the train station - it's about 800 meters or 1/2 a mile.

http://www.goldener-stern.ch/hotel_e.htm

swandav2000 Jan 7th, 2005 03:54 AM

Hi Charliemom,

Actually the possibilities are endless. Here are some thoughts --

In Luzern itself, I've heard good things about the Hotel Krone (www.krone-luzern.ch), which may have good rates because it doesn't have river or lake views. Also in Luzern is the Bellevue (www.bellevue-luzern.ch), which is right on the lake.

In the suburb of Hergiswil, there is the two-star Hotel Roggerli (www.roggerli.ch), which one poster here recommends. A four-star hotel in Hergiswil is the Seehotel Pilatus (www.pilatushotel.ch).

In Weggis, a lakeside village about 20 minutes from Luzern, are the Seehof Hotel au Lac, the Kurhaus Seeblick, and the Seehotel Gotthard. You can search for these & more at www.weggis.ch.

You may notice that, except for the Krone, all of the hotels I've recommended have lakeview rooms. Because the reason to stay in Luzern is the stunning views of the lake, I think lakeview rooms are very important!!

You'll also notice that most of the hotels I've recommended don't fall easily under $125 for a double. BUT I've found that I get cheaper rates if I e-mail the hotel directly, so I recommend you do that! Narrow your choices to the best 3 or 4 hotels, then e-mail them and ask for the best rates. I bet you'll get a lakeview for your your price!

Hope this helps!

s

kybourbon Jan 7th, 2005 05:05 AM

I stayed at Hotel Schiller on Pilatusstrausse 1 1/2 blocks from the train station and 1 block from the bridge. I'm not sure of the current prices but may be in your price range. You can check it out along with other Lucerne hotels on www.switzerlandhotel.net

Idnas71 Jan 7th, 2005 06:37 AM

Can anyone advise which hotel is more convenient to the train station in Luzern, the Hotel Des Alpes or the Hotel Schiller? Both are advertised as near the train but I wonder which is easier to get to when walking with wheeled luggage. Many thanks!

Travelnut Jan 7th, 2005 06:48 AM

You can use www.mappy.com and the "pedestrian" option for an itinerary. Put in 'bahnhof' and Luzern, then your hotel address and Luzern, and it will tell you how many meters. I think the Goldener Stern where we stayed was about 800 meters' walk, or 1/2 mile. Very easy to roll the bag along. We probably passed the Schiller on the way.
The walk to des Alpes would be to exit the train station, cross the bridge, turn left along the quay and there you are.

kybourbon Jan 7th, 2005 10:22 AM

You can actually see the train station from the sidewalk in front of the Schiller. It's a very short 1 1/2 blocks but is a nice area unlike most train station areas. The hotel was clean and the rooms were decent size. The top floor may have views but I wouldn't think the lower floors would. If you decide to book the Schiller ask for a room away from the restaurant/bar side - on the courtyard side. The Mexican restaurant on the first floor is a very popular gathering place for people on weekends and after work during the week and can get a little noisy.