COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alternative ways to travel from Amsterdam to London

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 02:32 PM
ricki

Does anyone know alternative ways to travel from Amsterdam to London other than by plane? How about ferries? Is the crossing rough the end of November? Thank you!

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 02:56 PM
elvira

1) Ferries can take from 4 hours to 14, depending on what type of craft. You have to get TO the port in Holland, and FROM the port in England, which adds a couple of more hours. No guarantees that a storm won't kick up and prevent the ferries from crossing, but it isn't an everyday event.
2) Train from Amsterdam to Brussels, then Eurostar (Chunnel) to London. That will take about 5 hours, station to station.

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 09:36 PM
Sjoerd

1. Train/ferry combination. Best connection is London Liverpool Street Station to Harwich by train (1.5 hours), ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland (4 hours), train from Hoek van Holland to Amsterdam (1.5 hours). Sea crossing can be rough in November.
2. Train all the way via Brussels.
3. Cheapest and longest is by bus. Try Eurolines.
4. If you decide to fly check out Easyjet at www.easyjet.com. The earlier you book, the cheaper their fares.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:48 AM
ricki

I really appreciate all your suggestions and I'll check them out!
Ricki

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:50 AM
advice

Wasn't sure if it's traveling by air or the price that bugs you, but if it's the price, you can fly from Amsterdam to London via EasyJet (easyjet.com) for incredibly cheap fares (like $50 or less one-way).