Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alternative fun transport in Paris, other than Metro + Bus

Oct 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

The Batobus could be fun, especially with kids.

This was re-introduced into Paris after the public servants with special priviledges took France hostage for THREE weeks in 1995. The Batobus were so successful, they remained.

I'll be using it with my small newphews today and getting off at Jardin du Plantes to explore the Evolution of Mankind Museum.

www.batobus.com

There is also a new "taxi-service" with bikes. Small white covered carts with a bike rider peddling. Don't know the name, but this could be easy and fun to get if the kids are tired and want to head back to the hotel at the end of a long day.
Oct 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Where did you hear about the bike-cart things? I thought Paris had more common sense than to allow those things. They've allowed them in the city where I live fairly recently, and they are simply awful as they can't go that fast, but are too big to be near the curb, so they take up an entire lane of the regular traffic lanes. Because they are slow, they thus slow down the traffic and increase congestion horribly. I really hate them when I'm trying to get home at the end of the day and you are backed up for blocks and then find out it is one of those stupid bike cabs for tourists blocking the traffic flow. Unless one is disabled, I find the idea pretty distasteful and for lazy people, also, it just seems to be so elitist. You can walk about as fast as those go. Yeah, I know the guys doing it are doing it for money and not forced to (at least in Paris), but I still wish they were not allowed. Paris won't allow those horse carriages that some cities have, although I think part of that is due to animal treatment reasons.

At least the Batobus is on the river and doesn't affect traffic, and I can see how kids might enjoy that ride. I think there is some questionable story on that company (which is not the govt.) and how it gets to operate while using quais paid for by public funds, which other companies are not allowed to use.
Oct 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Paris now has rental bikes all over the city. Pick up at one site and drop off at another. But walking in Paris is still the best way to go!!
Oct 20th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Good grief! Re: "the taxi service" with bikes...it sounds like an updated version of a rickshaw!
Oct 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Yes, those rickshaws are imported from Germany, where they are apparently successful in several cities.
Oct 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM

There are rickshaws around Soho in London, too. The taxi-drivers hate them.
Oct 21st, 2007, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure of the name of the company. They are smallish, seat two people, environmentally friendly. I imagine they are very useful to get around for short trips, especially when there are problems with strikes.

They don't seem too intrusive, mostly waiting around the Notre Dame.

Walking is the best, but sometimes it's great to just have an easy ride for a short distance without polluting for extremely tired feet!

I can see why taxi drivers in London hate them. The black cabs are so expensive over there, even for a short trip, £10 or more for a short ride! These rickshaw things must be cheaper.

Most taxi drivers I asked are OK about the Velibs + bikes and one said "it makes a city more physical and human". Very intersting perception.

The things that take up the sidewalk and look weird are the Segways. Silly contraptions where walking around would and healthier. Mais bon! each to their own.

Oct 21st, 2007, 07:47 AM

segways are legal in France and hired in Paris

Roller Blades
Oct 21st, 2007, 08:34 AM

Speaking of river transportation during the 1995 strike, the batobus were useless because they are too small. The government rented the full size bateaux-mouches that can hold 500 people or more -- and they were full.
Oct 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

The Batobus wasn't full when I took in on Saturday, but it could get worse if the striking continues. It was very very pleasant and very easy to hop on and off.
Oct 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM

I'm not sure the Soho rickshaws take much business from taxis - they can only operate in a fairly small area. The main problem is that the streets are particularly narrow there, and they get in the way. But then, for a taxi-driver, everything gets in the way.