Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Alternate Lodging suggestions for Kinsale and Bunratty (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/alternate-lodging-suggestions-for-kinsale-and-bunratty-603503/)

melissaklob Mar 29th, 2006 11:53 AM

Alternate Lodging suggestions for Kinsale and Bunratty

Hi everyone! I'm having trouble finding a place to stay in Kinsale on Sat. April 29. It seems most places are booked already. Our current plans have us arriving in Kinsale from Kenmare on Saturday, then touring Cahir/Cashel on the way to Bunratty Sunday (leaving for home Monday am from Shannon) Would you recommend staying in Cork/Blarney as an alternate? Are there any other areas you would suggest instead? It's our first time so I'm open to pretty much anything. Although we're not on a super tight budget, we don't want to spend an arm and a leg either. I'm leaning more toward the hotel/guesthouse type lodging only because we've never stayed at a B&B before, but we probably wouldn't rule them out altogether. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated! It seems that Bunratty on Sunday evening will also be quite popular. Could we consider Ennis, Knappogue or Newmarket-on-Fergus as an alternate? Can't wait to hear your thoughts -- I'm getting a little nervous that we'll have nowhere to sleep or be in the car for sixteen hours trying to get to the next stop!
Thanks,
Melissa

IrishEyes Mar 29th, 2006 01:11 PM

An August weekend in Kinsale. I wouldn't touch the place with a 10-foot pole. It will be hopping with tourists and you probably won't even be able to drive through town.

Alternatives: Blarney, Cobh or Cashel.

What time is your flight? Newmarket-on-Fergus is a bit closer to Shannon Airport than Ennis, which gets a lot of traffic. Are the Bunratty B&Bs full already? Try Bunratty Lodge or Headley Court. They are excellent.

melissaklob Mar 29th, 2006 02:42 PM

Thanks IrishEyes, it's actually April not August and still things are really booked both in Kinsale and Bunratty. Kinsale wasn't on my original list but seemed to be a popular recommendation and fit in well with the flow of our trip so we looked there first. I will definitely check out your suggestions. Any idea how long of a drive from Kenmare to Cashel or Cobh? The plane tickets are a done deal -flight out is 8:45 am-- so we'll just have to be flexible and enjoy as much as we can!
Melissa

IrishEyes Mar 29th, 2006 06:42 PM

Woops. I misread that month. Sorry. Cobh is not that much farther than Kinsale. Maybe 30 minutes. If you have a look around Kinsale you can then take a ferry to Cobh.

Since your flight is so early I definitely recommend Bunratty. About a 10-15 minute drive to the airport.

IrishEyes Mar 29th, 2006 06:43 PM

April 28 to May 1 is a Bank Holiday weekend. That is why you are having problems.

annw Mar 29th, 2006 06:57 PM

Look into the Priory in Kinsale -- we loved it. technically a b&b or guesthouse but lovely.

tower Mar 29th, 2006 07:26 PM

Have you tried the Blue Haven..in the centre of town with a very good restaurant and rooms. Other than that, I found Cobh to be an interesting and historic town..just take the ferry across the bay from Kinsale.
Stu T.

Patrick_FB Mar 29th, 2006 08:13 PM

I can't add anything about Kinsale, but at the other end of your trip, I have an alternative to Bunratty. Last year, we had an EARLY flight out of Shannon, but didn't want to spend our last night in a crappy airport hotel; so we stayed at a little B&B in Corofin, a bit north of Ennis. At the time of morning we left the B&B, it only took us 1/2 hour to get to the airport. Corofin also has a couple of very nice restaurants, for your last Irish dinner. Here's where we stayed:

Fergus View
(065) 683 7606

It is described on Karen Brown's excellent website; just go to "Ireland" and search for Fergus View. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

melissaklob Mar 30th, 2006 04:36 AM

Thanks all. Didn't realize about the bank holiday--makes sense now! As far as Kinsale goes the following were all booked: Friars Lodge, Actons,Blue Haven,Trident,Tierneys,Old Bank,White Lady, White House. Ann, I will definitely be checking out the Priory. Stu, thanks I will also be looking in to Cobh. Patrick, I agree about spending my last night in an airport hotel so I'll also be looking in to Fergus View although IrishEyes suggestions looked lovely too! Anyone have any feedback on fog and the impact of weather on the drive to SNN so early? I read somewhere that I would need to be there three hours prior to departure. Is that true? I will be flying back solo, but can my spouse hang out with me in the aiport till my flight or is it like here where you can't get near the gates without a boarding pass?

LowCountryIslander Mar 30th, 2006 04:57 AM

Melissa...

I recommend the Old Bakery B&B in Kinsale. Chrissy and Tom the hosts are terrific. I know you mentioned you are not leaning towards a B&B, but this place was very nice you might want to see if they have availability. The rooms were comfortable, the bathrooms very clean and the breakfast was fanastic, actually sat at the big kitchen table and started the morning with good conversation, excellent scones, and enough food to last you until dinner! I don't have the contact information right know, but will look it up and post it here.

Have a great time...I was there last May and loved it.

LowCountryIslander Mar 30th, 2006 05:02 AM

Here's the contact information for The Old Bakery B&B in Kinsale:

56 Lower O'Connell Street, Kinsale, (+353) 021 477 3012

TarheelsInNj Mar 30th, 2006 07:19 AM

We are staying at The Olde Bakery on our upcoming trip, and I'm very excited. Definitely check their availability! Here is the website:
http://www.theoldebakery.com/

LowCountryIslander Mar 30th, 2006 07:51 AM

Tarheel,

While in Kinsale, try to find out if Dessy Walls is playing at the White House Pub when you are there. He is a riot! A litte rude and crude at times, but lots of fun and some audience particpation. I bought the CD he "hawkes" at the end of his show, and I love to listen to it while I work-out at the gym...it always brings a smile to my face.

From your screen name I'm assuming you live in NJ now. I grew up there, but have been living in SC for 13 years. Where in NJ are you?

Slainte! (That's "cheers" in Irish!)

Enjoy your trip! :)

TarheelsInNj Mar 30th, 2006 08:00 AM

Thanks for the tip, LowCountryIslander!

When I began my Fodors account, I was still living in NJ, but now am actually in NYC. But I grew up in Maplewood, NJ.

LowCountryIslander Mar 30th, 2006 09:11 AM

Hey Tarheel! :)

Small world! I grew up in Union, NJ and worked in NYC before moving here to Hilton Head, SC.

I was in Ireland last year May/June and LOVED it...if you have any questions that I might be able to help with ask away.

prairiegal Mar 30th, 2006 09:52 AM

Hi Melissa, probably not the news you want to hear, but there's also a big rugby tournament in Kinsale that weekend. We booked a room last month at the Olde Bakery (thanks to all the Fodorites who have recommended it!) for April 28, but I bet finding a room now will be dicey.

When I was researching accomodations, I found a lot of farmhouse B&Bs in the Kinale area that looked nice. They'd probably be more likely to have a room open than anything in town.

Good luck, and maybe we'll see you in Kinsale!

Bridget

cmcfong Mar 30th, 2006 10:30 AM

www.desmondhousekinsale.com

I loved this place. Gorgeous room.

joolleeb Mar 30th, 2006 07:28 PM

We stayed at the Old Presbytery and loved it. If you are going to eat diiner in Kinsale on a Bank Holiday I suggest you make a reservation now as well. I remember crackpots as being very good and popular-we ate at two other good restaurants(italian and Thai ) that were also very good.

CU Mar 31st, 2006 01:57 PM

The following may be of help to you as regards accommodation;
www.townandcountry.ie
www.premierguesthouses.com
www.goireland.ie

As regards arriving in Shannon the following will happen
1. Get into Q for check in. The time you are travelling I would think its Continental Airlines. There are other flights travelling around that time also.
2. Go upstairs to enter the duty free area (www.airportshopping.ie). Unless you are travelling you will not be allowed pass this point.
3. Security check. Here you will be required to remove shoes, belts and watchs etc.
4. Go to American emigration for clearance to enter America. Once you pass this point you cannot return to the shopping area.
With a lot of people travelling you will not feel the time pass as you go through the various stages of check-in.
Enjoy your stay.

rshersnow Apr 1st, 2006 06:16 AM

We just returned. Try the Waterlands in Kinsale. Very nice, clean, friendly, good breakfast, etc. We flew into Shannon and stopped at Lough Gur just outside of Limerick on our way through. I think the whole trip took four hours but again we stopped.