Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Alte Post Oberammergau? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/alte-post-oberammergau-410038/)

swisschocolate Aug 8th, 2008 10:17 AM

Alte Post Oberammergau?

Has anyone stayed here? We're considering it for our trip in May. Another possibility would be the Gasthof Fraundorfer in Garmisch. Your input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

iris1745 Aug 8th, 2008 10:40 AM

Hi swisschocolate; Tripadvisor.com/oberammergau has the Alte Post rated very high, number one out of eighteen hotels. We hope to use this hotel in 2010 when the 'Passion Play' will once again be on stage. ENJOY Iris

bobthenavigator Aug 8th, 2008 11:45 AM

Stay in Ober.---better location. We liked Gasthof Zur Rose--smaller and just off the main drag.

robertino Aug 8th, 2008 12:10 PM

Hi Swiss -

I would suggest eating at the Fraundorfer but not staying there.

Great restaurant.

Dukey Aug 8th, 2008 01:49 PM

Iris..have you gotten your Passion Play reservation IN yet?

We just got our confirmation a few weeks ago and in our case the hotel is pre-assigned.

iris1745 Aug 8th, 2008 01:56 PM

Hi Dukey; I have one tour company that has two night stays. The company is 'Non Stop Travel.' But I have not yet secured tickets for rooms. We are going with friends. What company did you use? Alte Post is our number one choice for a hotel. It would be great to know the company you have used. THANKS Iris

swisshiker Aug 8th, 2008 01:59 PM

Hello swisschocolate :)

I second bobthenavigator's recommendation to stay in Oberammergau.

Just last night we returned from a vacation to Germany, and 2 of the nights were in Garmisch.

There is so much construction going on in Garmisch right now. Massive construction, total rehabs of a number of buildings.

On the day we drove thru Oberammergau, we kept saying how we wished we had booked our stay there. It is so very picturesque and charming. We had great lunch at the Hotel Wolf (goulaschsuppe, vegetable risotto, and apple strudel - yum!).

Happy travels!

Dukey Aug 8th, 2008 04:47 PM

Iris...we have been to the Passion Play before (in 2000) and we did it on our own then and are doing so again in 2010.

We ordered our package (two nights in a hotel with meals provided, tickets to the play itself..the usual deal..DIRECTLY from the Passion Play office.

The website is www.passionsspiele2010.de

Of course, if you prefer to use a toru operator that's fine but I would NOT count on getting a particular hotel UNLESS that tour operator has made arrangements with that particular hotel...it just isn't going to happen otherwise.

For the play season just about every hotel room is either allotted to the various tour operators or to the Passion Play office itself.

swisschocolate Aug 10th, 2008 11:46 AM

Thanks everyone. How about the Hotel Garni Edlhuber in Mittenwald? It looks nice too. Anyone stayed there before?

swandav2000 Aug 10th, 2008 02:20 PM

Hi swisschocolate,

I haven't stayed at this hotel but did spend a month in Mittenwald in an apartment over winter 06-07. I checked the location of that hotel at www.mappy.fr and found that it's not well located. It's pretty far from the center of the village -- it does look really lovely, though.

Have fun!

s

swisschocolate Aug 10th, 2008 02:29 PM

Hi swandav2000-
Thanks for that information because we will be travelling by train. We definitely need something centrally located. Do you have any suggestions for Mittenwald that are near the train station or a bus stop?

Vielen Dank!

Maudie Aug 10th, 2008 03:41 PM

We will also be in Mittenwald in May and traveling by train. We have decided to stay here:
www.alpenrose-mittenwald.de/english/index.html

It has had many good reviews on this forum and is only a short walk from the station.

Maybe we might bump into each other!

swandav2000 Aug 11th, 2008 02:53 AM

Hi again,

Yes, the Alpenrose is a perfect choice! It sits right in the pedestrian zone, and it is really warm and cozy inside. I think it is more expensive than the hotel garni you posted, though.

I just took a look around the town's tourist site (www.mittenwald.de) and went to their accommodation pages. You can either do a search by date or click on "all accommodation," which I did. It is difficult to find something around 30E that's both central and cosy! But here are two possibilities: Hotel-Pension Hofmann and Gasthof Stern. If you want to poke around the accommodation pages just look for the term "Zentral."

Anyway, good luck!

s

iris1745 Aug 12th, 2008 04:51 AM

Hi Dukey; I used the web site you suggested and had an answer today. While they do not list the hotel we want, the person said HK3 [HC3 on the form] was the Alte Post. We have been to Oberammergau before, but not the Passion Play and love the area/town. So now to talk to our friends and determine what to do. THANKS for the info. Iris

swisschocolate Aug 12th, 2008 11:12 AM

Hi bobthenavigator -
I emailed Gasthof zur Rose and got a great price - 80 euro for a double room with extra bed (there will be 3 of us). It was quite a bit cheaper than the Alte Post (121 euro). Thanks for the tip!

swiss

bobthenavigator Aug 12th, 2008 12:09 PM

Good for you !
It will be less noisy too--and the food is good.

Dukey Aug 12th, 2008 12:12 PM

Iris:

Please believe me, HK3 is more than the Alte Post. The Wolf and the ParkSonnenhof are also in that category...

but here's how that works: it depends on whether or not HK3 hotels are available on your play dates. If they aren't, you get pushed down to HK2.

We gave the office about 12 different dates for the play in 2010 and were asking for HK3...we got HK2.

But good luck and I hope it works out for you.

iris1745 Aug 12th, 2008 12:41 PM

Hi Dukey; Thanks again for the information. I had my doubts when the tourist office replied. However, sometimes it is in the interpretation. I did then e-mail the tour company in Calif. and they said exactly what you did. The allocation of accomadations is done in Germany and they could not say which hotel would be allocated to HK3. Will talk to our friends and see what they want to do. Best Iris