Search

Update on Paris Strikes ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on Paris Strikes ??

Hi Fodorites,

Apparently today there are reports that the garbage collectors are on strike also and garbage is overflowing on some streets. Also that the Eiffel Tower is closed.

Are there any other museums closed?

I'm wondering if the Blu Van pick up from the airports is running and also if the batobus on the Seine and the hop on hop off tourist bus around Paris is running?

Anyone here who is a resident of Paris or visiting now?

Does anyone have any news on the above?

Our trip is scheduled for Monday, and while my travelmate thinks because of Easter, the strikes will stop, I think they will increase - as a pressure to the government which is losing much money the longer this goes on.

Many thanks for any info.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM

The strike was yesterday (Tuesday), and it's over now. There was very little disruption.

It's hard to say whether strikes will continue or not. The French love to go on strike and demonstrate, but they like vacation even more, so as vacation periods approach, they are more likely to take down the barricades and go to the beach.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM

By no means do I pereive the strikes as being over. They're continuing. Eiffel Tower has been shut down twice this week and one should expect more of the same in the weeks ahead based on all news reports and as based on Parisians with whom I have personal contact with.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM

One of the most impressive differences between Paris and, say, New York or London is that it takes a rubbish collectors' strike for rubbish to overflow onto the streets. Where those Coke bottles stay for at least six hours till the strike's over.

In the major streets of the English-speaking world, OTOH, overflowing rubbish is a permanent feature. Which French newspapers have better things to do than publicise.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:47 PM

In the major streets of the English-speaking world, OTOH, overflowing rubbish is a permanent feature.

Really? I live in the English speaking world and find that not to be the case.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Some remarks:
Paris is a huge city. You might notice nothing from the demonstration, according to the place you will be.
Tourist business is business, as usual. A demonstration or strike, even with some minor riots on the street, has noting to do with riots.
A one day strike doen not 'overflow' the streets with litter.
As having a strike from time to time is part of the french way of life, there is nothing to be worried about. Consider it being part of the 'coleur locale'.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Baldrick. I may be dating myself but I do remember the garbage strike in New York City many years ago.
Now THAT was a garbage strike - and they weren't kidding around when they said "garbage overflowing into the streets" but they didn't explain how piled high it was or that it was solid block to block - and there is another thing that NYC is famous for - especially when garbage is piled 6 foot high - rats! The four legged kind. I hope they won't be running amuck in Paris feasting on the leftovers.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:09 AM

Mahya,

What's the source of the garbage strike report? I just paged through today's "Parisien," usually the best place for nitty-gritty Paris news. Nothing. Twenty minutes of walking 11th arrondissement streets this morning. They aren't overflowing with garbage. They look perfectly normal - that is, just a bit shabby.

a saw no word of one
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:24 AM

"overflowing garbage" is just a journalist's way of saying "litter".

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The media are becoming more and more outrageous. I notice that CNN has been using the same (old) photograph of a flaming car for days to "illustrate" a one day strike in France.