Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alright; What haven't you done/been to in your home Town/ State/Country?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:06 AM
david west

I often feel that one overlooks the things that are on one's doorstep. One of the joys of reading this forum (and the others) is seeing what peple have found good close to my home, which is London.<BR><BR>But its time to own up to the things that are on my doorstep that I have never done. Here we go....<BR><BR>I have never...<BR><BR>Been to the Globe theatre<BR>Been on the London Eye<BR>Been to tea at the Ritz<BR>Been to the ceremony of the Keys<BR>Been to Madame Tussauds<BR>Been to the IMAX theatre<BR>Seen the mousetrap (but I know who did it)<BR>Been on a tour bus<BR>Seen the Thames Barrier open/close<BR>Been to Highgate cemetary<BR>Been to the National Portrait GAllery<BR>Been to the Ballet or Opera voluntarily<BR><BR>Any one else care to admit to ignoring what's on their doorstep?<BR><BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Andrea

I am REALLY guilty of this! <BR><BR>In Shanghai, where I live now, I have never been to the temple of the Jade Buddha, which is one of the Top Three Stops on any half day tour. <BR><BR>I lived in Geneva, and while I always wanted to, kept procrastinating tours of CERN and the UN until I finally moved away. 2 years ago, my husband and I planned a detour to Geneva with the specific idea of touring CERN and the UN. Unfortunately, we were there between Christmas and New Year, when both were closed!<BR><BR>I've been to Hong Kong over a dozen times and never had dinner on the Peak.<BR><BR>I've also lived in Paris and visited several times since, and have yet to visit the Picasso museum or the new(-fangled) library, both of which are still on my list.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:20 AM
elina

I am also guilty. I lived my childhood in western Finland and most of my adult life in southern Finland, but my trips to eastern Finland were all quick and work related. And when I have been to Lapland, I have sticked to skiing centers and spent my time in severe cross country skiing with no sight seeing. This summer I managed to do a little better.<BR><BR>There are three sceneries in Finland that can be considered "national sceneries". That means that even a child can name that specific place, where nothing man-made implicates what it is. Those three are Punkaharju ridge (a thin strip of land that just goes on and on and on between lakes and islands, just wide enough for a road) and Lake Pielinen with all its islands as seen from Koli hill, both in eastern Finland. And the third is Saana Fell in western Lapland. It´s peculiar shape is easy to distinguish.<BR><BR>So, usually I am always abroad, but this summer I had my holidays in eastern parts of the country, and visited both Punkaharju and Koli. Same time I went to medieval Olavinlinna castle, again a place I had never been to. <BR><BR>That leaves Saana Fell, but I have promised myself that in a near future...<BR><BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Sue

Ok I was born in NYC and grew up outside it...never Been up the Empire State Building, Never been to MOMA, Rainbow room for drinks,Or Brooklyn or Saks 5th avenue stc. Only went to the WTC top as a child. I am gladf I had that experience in my life.<BR><BR>Live in Dublin now (beside a museum I may add!) Went to my first museum last week. Never been to Giants Causway, Any arts festival (they are great in the summer), Galway races, the Arran Islands, Never seen where either set of Granparents grew up, Never went swimming at the 40foot or new years day in the sea...so many things left to do!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:41 AM
jorge

yep same. born and lived most of my life around HARTFOED, ct usa and have never been too the Mark Twain house and other sites this crap town has too offer.. I'm basicly like the dog scratching at the door too get out.. I want nothing too do with this place..

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Beth

Live outside Washington DC; grew up nearby and have been back for 30 years -still haven't gone to the top of the Washington Monument, Library of Congress or the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, mostly because I hate crowds and heat and work full time. I have done all the (art) musuems multiple times and most of the Smithsonian when my kids were young. This is a great city, and I should make time to cover it as I do when I am on vacation elswhere.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Spelling queen

BTW,the words are "all right" - there is no such word as "alright." Drives me crazy.....

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Grammar King

Spelling Queen<BR><BR>Please leave a space after a comma. Not doing so drives me crazy.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Wendy

My friend's and I talk about this all the time! How we know more about certain parts of the world than our own backyard. Here are mine, I live in Seattle, WA. USA and have never....<BR><BR>Been to the San Juan Islands<BR>Been to the Oregon Coast<BR>Been to Port Townsend<BR>Been to Mount St. Helens<BR>Been to Hurricane Ridge<BR>Been to the EMP<BR>Been on the Microsoft Campus <BR>Been in the original Starbucks<BR>Been on a whale watch tour<BR><BR>And just this year in trying to rectify these sins I went to Leavenworth, the Oregon Pinot wine country and Mt. Rainier!<BR><BR>Great post David!<BR><BR>Wendy

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Monica

I think the biggest thing I've never done is tour Alcatraz island in San Francisco. Lived near SF for almost twenty years now....

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Art

Been trying to rectify that this year. Finally went to the Guggenheim Museum and the Weisental Museum of Tolerance in the last few months after living in So Cal for 30 years. Still have not been to the Aquarium here in Long Beach, where I live.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Suzy

I've lived in Boston for over 50 years and have never "done" the Freedom Trail, though I've done parts of it by accident just going about daily business.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Jack

I've lived in Montreal all of my life (53 years) and I have never learned French and never been East of St.Lawrence boulevard.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:40 PM
EGL

I've lived one block down the street from Gracie Mansion in New York City for 30 years. Every Wednesday I watch the tour buses pull up. Guess where I haven't been -

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:00 AM
cccc

ttt

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Chris

Never been to the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island, lived in NJ most of my life.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:44 AM
anon

Come next weekend – Let´s all do one touristy thing in our hometown/state/country. Something people from elsewhere come to see but we have just ignored because it is too near. I believe it would be fun to play a tourist and not really even leave home! Sort of eye opening...

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Jen

Ugh, can we wait a couple of weeks until tourist season is over, please?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:02 AM
carolyn

Never been to the Derby Museum in Louisville, KY, and I hear they have very nice lunch offerings, too. (Since I've retired, I've taken up lunching.)<BR><BR>But, anon, I can't do it this weekend because we are GOING ON A TRIP, this time to Eastern Canada.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:15 AM
anon

OK, Jen and Carolyn, you may skip next weekend and the tourist season. But RIGHT AFTER that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -