Which Scottish island to visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to plan a short stay on one of the Scottish islands and would appreciate input from anyone who is familiar with more than one of them. Do you prefer Skye or some other island? I realize picking the best one depends on individual taste, but I'm not well informed about any of them, so any input would be really helpful.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 09:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well - you honestly can't go wrong. How many days are you planning? The three main western ilansd w/ a lot to see and easy access from the mainland are Skye, Mull/Iona, and Islay.

Then there are the outer Hedrides and Arran - or up north to the Orkneys.

I have been to all and could easily spend a week on most of them. None would be disappointing. It mainly depends on your interests.

Whisky and very nice scenery? - definitely Islay.
Neolithic sites? - the outer Hebrides or Orkney.
Nice scenery plus Iona/Staffa? - Mull.
A biiiiig island w/ lots of amazing scenery? - Skye.

I know that didn't help much - but I REALLY don't think there is a wrong pick in the bunch.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Don't know yet how many days I would allot to this. Just trying to get a feel for which one (or two) to visit. I was in Great Britain two years ago and Skye was listed as one place we would visit. We crossed the bridge (ferry wasn't running on Sundays) and stopped immediately at a place for lunch with a gift shop. After eating, we boarded the bus again and headed back to the mainland. I was SO disappointed! That did not constitute a visit to the Isle of Skye.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 09:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you planning on doing it by public transport - or driving?

That would affect my choices a bit. For instance you can fly to Islay or Orkney - not the others.

Ferries go to all of them of course - but access to the ferries is easier for some than others.

By car - the possibilities are wide open.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:42 AM

It really depends on travel time and communications.

Islay is my perfect pick, but you have to be able to get there. It's a minimum of 5 hours from Edinburgh or Glasgow (unless you fly), and I wouldn't want to do that and stay one night. In addition, whilst it's easy to get around the main roads/ villages by bus, anywhere off the beaten track is pretty much impossible without a car.

What is it you are trying to get out of the trip?
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:12 AM

Arran is beautiful and the access is easier than a lot of others..

http://www.visitarran.com/site/default.aspx
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM

Let us know what you choose, as I'm hoping to go to at least 2 maybe 3 islands next spring.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 12:49 PM

Islay has eight whisky distilleries (Ardbeg, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, Kilchoman, Lagavullin, Laphroaig). Its neighbor Jura has one too. Kilchoman is so new, they've just made a single malt available.

There's supposed to be nice villages, good birdwatching, etc. on Islay too.

Did I mention that Islay has eight whisky distilleries?
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM

There is also a commercial maltings and two of the distilleries have their own floor maltings. There is also a pub which stocks more than 250 malt whiskies for you to try; lots of lovely restaurants, fantastic beaches, ancient and modern history and masses of visible wildlife.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 08:28 AM

I've been to most of them: favorites are Mull (inner Hebrides) --- nice little town/beautiful scenery: and Harris (outer Hebrides).
For Barra I think the airport still is The Beach which makes for an exciting flight! You can walk round the island in one day and there's a choice of good accommodation for such a small place.

A warning about flying to Orkney if your time is limited. I once bought an Island Hopper. The fog came down and I had to give up after the first three flights (one 'the shortest in the World") and return to Mainland by ferry -- great experience but disastrous if I had had an international flight to connect with. Mainland could also be socked in.
Hebrides/Orkneys absolutely lovely to visit