Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Already going to Santorini & Paros...should I choose Mykonos or Naxos as my third destination?

Already going to Santorini & Paros...should I choose Mykonos or Naxos as my third destination?

Old May 1st, 2000, 06:36 AM
Karen

The way I figure it... Mykonos is sort of like Santorini...and Naxos is sort of like Paros. I can't decide which "style" of island to include as my third choice. My husband and I love to people-watch but we also love great beaches and low prices....hmmmmm. I'd appreciate any comments.

Old May 1st, 2000, 08:11 AM
elvira

My experience is with Naxos: <BR> <BR>Nice beaches, not expensive (we rented little houses), pretty main city w/a few historic areas and a museum, a couple of kouros to visit, wild auto ride around the island (spectacular views if you're not acrophobic), and good food.

Old May 1st, 2000, 09:54 AM
jane

Karen: I'm jealous! We had the most wonderful 10 days w/ 4 other good friends on a private boat hitting the islands 2 years ago. We went to Kea, Siros, Delos, Mikonos, Paros, and Serifos. Mikonos was our hands down least favorite. Stay longer on Paros- which was our all-around favorite. Nice snorkeling, good food, we rented scooters and drove all around the island. Mikinos was just too tourisy, and we were "stuck" there for 2 extra days because this big tourist boat blocked our boat in, and they refused to move! We were livid!

Old May 1st, 2000, 01:50 PM
cathy

Two years ago, I went to both and enjoyed them immensely. If I had to choose, though, I'd go with Naxos. It has a smaller town feel and beautiful day excursions to the hills and beaches. Chateau Zevgoli is a fabulous, quiet hotel in the center of town and you can take a boat trip (classic wooden type) for the day to deserted beaches for snorkeling and a picnic bbq lunch. Truly a memorable place.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 10:58 PM
Diane

I can't see how Mykonos and Santorini are similar. They seem quite different to me. More similar are Mykonos and Paros. Whatever you do, you can't go wrong -- they are all wonderful.

Old May 6th, 2000, 12:09 PM
sandy

Much better Mykonos than Naxos if you are already going to Paros. Naxos is too similar to Paros and a little bit grubby in comparance. <BR>However, any one you go to will be a joy.

Old May 6th, 2000, 04:52 PM
kam

Visited Cycladic Islands, Sept. 99" <BR> <BR>Santorini was our favorite & Naxos was 2nd favorite. Naxos has wonderful beaches and lots of historical sites around the island too. <BR> <BR>We found Mykonos to be the most expensive & crowded. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old May 6th, 2000, 07:50 PM
Deborah

Mykonos is beautiful and fun. The only thing is the this island is a very, very popular with gays and lesbians. This is not a problem for a girl from L.A., but my husband, who is from smalltown U.S.A. was quite uncomfortable seeing 2 naked, gay men together on the beach. They have beaches for different levels of nakedness. It is possible for you to avoid the naked beach thing altogether. We had a great apt over the water at more of a family beach. There was no nudity there, but we ventured out to all levels. <BR> <BR>Mykonos is great for someone who likes crowds and a little more flamboyant people watching--again, being a city girl, it was fun for me.