Alps, Canadian Rockies, Norway vs Alaska

Jan 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Alps, Canadian Rockies, Norway vs Alaska

We have loved our past vacations in the the Alps, Glacier NP, Canadian Rockies and Norway. My husband would like to visit Alaska. I am afraid I would miss the Castles, Museums, Churches and the over all culture of Europe. (This happened a couple times in Hawaii.)
My question is for those of you who have been to Alaska and 1 or more of these other regions. Did you love/enjoy Alaska as much?
The photos I have seen from Alaska have not wowed me except the aerial views.
Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:31 AM

I have been to all the places you have listed and they are beautiful with the added bonus of culture and history. However, the scenery in Alaska surpasses them all for a WOW! factor. For example, I thought the fjords in Norway were pretty and I loved the country but the scenery couldn't compare with Alaska.The Alps and Canadian Rockies come close but the Alaskan scenery includes water and mountians a lot fo the time. Rent a car and do it independently and if you want to cruise the SE portion of the state go on a small expedition boat like Lindblad, not the big cruise ships. We never saw any others ships for a week except for Glacier Bay NP; they couldn't enter the areas the small ship did.. Alaska certainly doesn't have the whole package like Europe, but for sheer grandeur go see Alaska.There were many Europeans on our small LIndblad ship.
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Happytrvlr, How long do you suggest to spend on the Lindblad?
Jan 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM

I think it was a week. Look at the trip that beigins and/or ends in Sitka and Juneau. Its all about scenery and wildlife, whales, etc.