Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alpine roads - Deutsche Alpenstrasse or Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip of about 2 1/2 weeks in June to Bavaria and Austria. My tentative itinerary is:

1. Munich
2. Fuessen (Neuschwanstein, etc.)
3. Salzburg and Salzkammergut
4. Vienna
5. Danube (Melk, Krems) on return trip to Munich

One of my interests in this region is the Alpine/mountain scenery. I am thinking of two options between Fuessen and Salzburg:

(a) Deutsche Alpenstrasse
(b) Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse

I know (b) will be much more of a detour.

Do any of you fellow travelers have any recommendations or can you make any comparisons? For example, which route would be more scenic? Which might be more difficult to drive during June? Thanks in advance for your input!
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:56 AM

>(b) Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse
If it's open it's the road to go.
>a) Deutsche Alpenstrasse
BORING! compared to (b)
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Hi, I also think the Grossglockner is truly spectacular. It's been some years since I drove over it but it is still fresh in my mind. It is a memorable route for sure.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Ditto for the Grossglockner drive--some truly enjoyable alpine scenery.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Although Europe experienced a cold winter, there is a very good, if not excellent chance, that the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse will be open before June 1. (Of course sudden storms can force a temporary closing even after the official opening.)

In fact, the project opening is before May 1, which leads me to be almost certain that the road will be open when you are there.

Here is a quote from the official web site:

Derzeit Wintersperre bis voraussichtlich 28. April 2006. Geplante Eröffnung (abhängig von den Witterungs- bedingungen): Samstag, 29. April 2006

the German text says: Presently the winter closure of the road will remain in effect until an anticipated date of April 28. Depending on weather conditions, the planned opeing of the road is on Saturday, April 29, 2006.

I have driven the road both ways more than once. It is very spectacular with several fine viewpoints. Bear in mind that it is a toll road.

If you make the right turns, you will be able to drive to the view point of the Grossglockner itself and the glacier, which is the longest in the eastern Alps. The area is a national park known as the Hohe Tauern. The Swarovski-donated view point is spectacular. Be prepared for cold and windy conditions.

If you have a rental car, be sure that the tires are good ones. Our car had Michelins on it and we needed them.

If you continue on the downslope to leave the area, you will almost immediately come to the village of Heiligenblut. It is a small place, but very picturesque with some good places to eat.

We stayed overnight at Landhause Christof which is run by the Kramser family. It is what I would call a bed and breakfast. The room was comfortable enough. It is located on the downhill side, below the church, on a long deadend street that runs along the creek.

If you want to go to Heiligenblut, be sure to purchase a round trip ticket when you enter. The route is not cheap.
The one way toll is €26; round trip is €30.

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:52 AM

OOPS Landhaus.
And the down slope I mentioned assumes you are headed south after approaching from the north. You can easily drive there from Salzburg in a few hours, perhaps 3 to 4 depending on stops.

In Austria, be prepared for toll tunnels on the freeways and other major highways.

If you rent in another country, you will need a highway sticker if you drive on the autobahns. I understand that the Austrian cops sometimes impose fairly large fines on violators.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Done it multiple times. Absolutely Grossglockner Hochalpenstraße.
This web site has many roads also
http://www.alpineroads.com/
We've done the The Timmelsjoch which is a great runnerup to Grossglockner Hochalpenstraße.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I guess it's unanimous. I am going to opt for the Grossglockner road instead of the Deutsche Alpenstrasse!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Food here was exxcellent: http://www.edelweissspitze.at/
Plus the view was amazing. Beware its at the end of a cobblestone road about 10 ft wide at most. Hairpin turns that I drove at about 4 mph! Don't miss this.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM

I was born and raised in the Salzkammergut region (the lake region just an hour east of Salzburg where they filmed the movie The Sound Of Music). Have been living in the USA for the last 5 years and am currently in the process of creating a new website (don't like the design I have currently up) at www.BeautifulAustria.com

If you like mountains then most amazing trip in Austria is the following:

Start in Innsbruck, drive east towards the Zillertal valley, drive the Zillertal panorama road into Salzburg, then cross the high mountains into the south using the Felbertauern road.

Before you start the climb towards the tunnel (pretty much at the beginning of the road) look for a sign that says "Hintersee". Use that road (right after some kind of bridge if I remember right) and go to that incredible lake. You'll see horses, goats, cows and an incredible landscape there.

Then continue towards the tunnel. Soon after the tunnel make a short stop at the Felbertauern Haus. It's a great restaurant with awesome food.

Continue on downwards towards Matrei. (See the Nikolaus church there up on a hill. It's ancient!). Then go into the Virgental valley. Go all the way back there. Find a place to stay and eat at the Groderhof. Awesome dishes in a very romantic room.

See the waterfalls at the end of the Virgental valley. Lovely.

Leave the Virgental valley and head toward the Grossglockner mountain. See the town Heiligenblut and go up the mountain on the great panorama road. Stay in the Glocknerhof up on the mountain. Romantic and great views! Say hi to the groundhogs there from me

Cross over the grossglockner mountain and see Zell am See. Drive toward the city of Salzburg.

See Salzburg. Amazing city.

Make a day trip to the eagles nest (best view!) and see the lake Koenigsee.

Then drive into the Salzkammergut lake region. See towns like St.Wolfgang, Hallstatt, Bad Ischl, Bad Aussee (try to find lake Toplitzsee! It's a jewel!)

After that you have seen enough mountains to have memories for a lifetime.

If life doesn't interfere too much then I will have my new website up at www.BeautifulAustria.com in a few weeks. You can then see a bunch of great pictures of all these places.

Feel free to contact me through the website for more tips. And have a great trip!

Reinhard