Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alpine Honeymoon Itinerary Advice (Feb/March 2018)

Old Oct 26th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I’m trying to plan a honeymoon in Europe in either late February or March of 2018 and am looking for advice on my itinerary. We’ll be in Europe for around 15 days. The only things we definitely want to do is visit Salzburg and the Swiss Alps (we’re thinking of skiing in Zermatt for 2 days). I believe there is a train we can take through the Alps from Salzburg to Zurich, and then another train from Zurich to Zermatt? So we definitely want to do that. But otherwise we’re completely open. Does anyone have advice on other smaller fun or scenic villages we should check out around Salzburg/Zermatt that we could access via public transportation? Or some cities in neighboring countries we should visit while there? I was thinking we might fly into Munich first and then take the train to Salzburg from there since flights to Munich are much cheaper than to Salzburg (we’ll be coming from San Francisco). Do people recommend visiting Munich, or is there another main European hub that we should go to instead? I don’t know much about Munich, but thought it might be nice to visit since neither my fiancé nor I have been to Germany. Are there some cute German towns we should visit while we’re there? We want a mix of history and pretty alpine scenery.
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 10:47 AM

There are excellent ski resorts very close to Salzburg.
You waste a full da with your train ride from Salzburg to Zermatt.
Munich is a much more interesting city than Salzburg.

The train ride from Salzburg to Zermatt takes 9 1/2 hrs.
Best connections (in February 2018):

Salzburg dp 9.56 with train changes at Zurich and Visp
Salzburg dp 11.56 with train changes at Zurich and Visp
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 08:34 PM

Hi daisy2007,

I live in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, south of Munich, and I visit Switzerland often. I hope I can join others here and be of some help.

While Munich might be more "interesting" than Salzburg, Salzburg is prettier and more charming. Munich is larger, with lots of shopping, dining, gardens, and museums to enjoy, while Salzburg is smaller, with a fortress on a mountain at the edge of town. I think Salzburg is more picturesque. You may want to take a look at google images of both towns to see what each is like and to see if one or the other appeals to you.

One thing you may want to do -- but it takes some time -- would be to take the train from Salzburg to Chur (about 5 hours), and then take the Glacier Express from Chur to Zermatt (about 8 hours). You'd probably want to spread that over 2 days, with an overnight or two somewhere enoute. The trip from Salzburg to Chur goes through the Tyrolian Alps, which are very pretty. I usually don't ever recommend the Glacier Express because it takes so long, but since it happens to be going the direction you want to go, it could be an option for you. Some folks plan their entire vacations around taking the GE.

I do have to ask if you've ever skied before? If not, skiing for two days is just going to be counter-productive. Normally folks don't learn to ski in just a few days, so you'll spend hours and hours mostly standing still on skies learning to stop and to turn, and your reward for that will be screaming muscles. It might take 5 or 6 days to be able to ski down a hill safely.

If you have skied before, it still may not be feasible to ski in Zermatt for only 2 days. Ski season is ultra-high season for Zermatt, as you might imagine, and many hotels and apartments have a 1-week minimum required stay. If you do want to spend time in Zermatt, it's a good idea to go ahead and find a hotel now.

Let us know as your plans firm up or change a bit, and hopefully we can all help you refine & perfect your trip!

And congratulations!!

s
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 06:08 AM

If you really want to do the Glacier Express thing, you need at least 2 days. Timetable for February 2018:

Day 1:
Salzburg dp 7.56, 9.56 or 11.56 - train Landeck - bus Scuol (luggage lockers) ar 12.28, 14.28 or 16.28. Enjoy the Thermal spa of Scuol or the views over the Alps from Motta Naluns.
Take then any train to Samedan (every hr, 1 hrs journey, last departure 21.41) and sleep there
Day 2:
Samedan dp by Glacier Express 9.25 - Zermatt ar 17.10.
It is highly recommended to leave the Glacier Express at Fiesch (at 15.10) and to go by gondola to Fiescheralp (mountain panorama from San Gottardo up to Matterhorn and Mont Blanc) and to sleep there (some hotels). From Fiescheralp, another gondola goes up to Eggishorn with views over the whole Aletsch Glacier up to Jungfraujoch).

Fiescheralp - Zermatt can then be done on day 3 in less than 3 hrs (gondolas/trains every 30 min)