Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alpine chalet/hotel w/flower rimmed balcony

Aug 8th, 2001, 08:04 PM
BillJ

Many years ago, in a movie the name of which escapes me, Troy Donahue took Suzanne Pleshette to a Swiss hotel in a gorgeous green alpine valley with snow capped alps in the background. The stood out on their little shared balconies (separate rooms in those days, children) with the flowers draped over the balcony railing, and gazed out at the amazing vista.
Ok, fast fowrward. Now I would like to take my wife to such a place for her birthday next summer. (This will be our first trip to Switzerland, and will also include Austria, Prague, and maybe Budapest.)
Can some one out there help with this little surprise I'm dreaming up? (The trip is not the surprise, just where to be on her birthday.) Do these picturesque places still exist? I'm not having much luck, even here. Thanks, any one.

Aug 9th, 2001, 03:39 AM
Mike

Try Gstaad and the surrounding villages. I stayed at the Alpenrose in Schonried (a Relais place), and really enjoyed it. The (ground floor) terrace actually had a flower bed built into it, and was somewhat lacking in red geraniums - lupins were in flower while we were there (more English than Swiss planting to my eyes). The front of the hotel (with the rooms you wouldn't want - back has the views) was geranium rich. There is a bigger hotel in the village called Ermitage-Golf, which did better on the geranium front. The vista was pretty good (Gstaad and Le Diableret(?) glacier), and Gstaad itself is very pleasant (traffic free), with some excellent hotels.

The town has a good web site, www.gstaad.ch

Aug 9th, 2001, 03:47 AM
Ursula

Bill hi! Gstaad my love. Yes, I definitely second Mikes' suggestions.
If you should happen to end up in Gstaad, do not miss the restaurant "Olden" or the Hotel/Restaurant "Rössli". Go up the "Eggli". Nice sunny terrace for a glass of wine and some local cheese.
However, the nearby villages Schönried and Saanenmöser (Hotel "Les Hauts de Gstaad"). are sunnier than Gstaad itself. Gsteig is also a quaint place just like Saanen (nice church).
Adelboden in the Bernese Oberland, very Swiss and charming, you might want to explore as well.
www.adelboden.ch

Aug 9th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Lynn

I think that the name of the movie is: If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium."

Very funny - I was in my early 20s when I saw it and hadn't traveled out of the USA yet. It made me determine never to take a tour in Europe.

Aug 9th, 2001, 06:00 AM
oldperson

No, I think if it was Troy and Suzanne, it was "Rome Adventure". Good grief, that takes me back to highschool. But you're right, that movie might have been the first to give me travel fever. sigh.

Aug 9th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Bob

Check out the hotels on this web site
http://www.grindelwald.ch/defaulte.htm

Aug 9th, 2001, 03:49 PM
BillJ

You guys are great, I love this board. Thanks Mike(found the Alpenrose site), Ursula(adelboden) and Bob. Also Fodor. In his Swiss book, just obtained, also refers to "relais du silence", along with relais & chateaux. Have begun searching these and other interesting sights. You know how one sight leads to another. Thanks again!

Aug 9th, 2001, 08:11 PM
steve

Check with the Austrian National Tourist Office. They used to publish (and probably still do) excellent guides to each regions hotels. THe ones in the Salzkammergut area around Salzburg were all what you are after

Aug 10th, 2001, 03:25 AM
Myriam

Hotel Rhodania in Verbier (in the Valais district, les 4 Vallées) might be the place you are looking for. It is of the Minotel Suisse group and from your balcony you have this splendid view on the Alps as you describe. The hotel is also renowned for its exquisite cuisine.
http://www.rhodania.ch/Pages/hebrgmt_e.html

Aug 11th, 2001, 06:24 AM
jw

Ursula mentioned Gsteig near Gstaad. Can anyone write a bit more about it? Places to stay? And while I've got the floor on this delightful fantasy of a question (thanks BillJ), may I ask if anyone has stayed in Les Diablerets--the village? Flowered balconies, yes? But is it just for winter-sports?

Aug 11th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Leslie

Funny, I remember that movie too, but could swear they were in the Italian alps or Dolomites, Lake Como or some such Italian place, but not in Switzerland!

Aug 12th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Russell Wayne

Didn't see the movie, but strongly suggest you consider Murren, which is precisely the setting you're describing. The village directly faces the Jungfrau, Monch, and Eiger. The three are very up close and personal. Try for the Hotel Eiger, which is the best in Murren. The nearest major city is Interlaken. From Interlaken, you would go south about 10 minutes to Lauterbrunnen, then up by funicular and cograil to Murren. Upon arrival, you will let out a big "YES". Guaranteed. Gstaad is fine, as is Adelboden, but neither will get you the Wow that you will get in Murren.

Aug 12th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Joanne

Leslie is right. The trip taken in the movie was to the lake district in Italy. Won't change Bill's travel plans, but just wanted to agree with Leslie and set the record straight on the movie.

J

Aug 12th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Cheryl Z.

Bill, we stayed at Alex Schlosshotel Tenne in Zermatt a few years ago - loved it. Very Swiss, quaint, wonderful (but teeny) room with fireplace and balcony with flowers, and we could see the top of the Matterhorn from there too. I loved it.
The ph # then - 0ll-4l-27-967-l80l and fax was 0ll-4l-27-967-l803
And yes, no matter what town, Swizterland is filled with marvelous picture-perfect and well-flowered hotels, stores and villages. I always want to come home and buy lotsa red geraniums! I don't think I've ever seen a weed or dead leaf on any of their plants or lawns on any of our travels - that goes for No. Italy and Germany too, and many other countries.
I remember all those old movies - and frankly, they just whetted my appetite for travel. So Lynn, I hope you are able to travel there soon.

Dec 30th, 2001, 07:28 AM
romantic

To the top for BillJ

Dec 30th, 2001, 01:08 PM
BTilke

You can find similar hotels in Austria, as well...in particular, the small town of Grunau not too far from Salzburg. Off the tourist map, but beautiful and peaceful. My other favorite small town in Austria, again far off the normal tourist trail, is Seckau in the Steiermark. Just gorgeous, serene, a great little hotel with excellent food, wonderful views. The hotel in Seckau is the Hofwirt Haus, not a chalet hotel but still lovely (www.hofwirt.at)
BTilke

Dec 30th, 2001, 07:58 PM
BillJ

Hey, great. Thanks for bringing this back to the top. Yes, oldperson, the movie was "Rome Adventure." As our planning is progressing, her birthday will actually begin in Vienna, and end in Halstatt, at Hotel Gruener Baum. Several days later, we will be at the Hotel Alpenruh in Muerren. After much research and itinery twitching, this will serve as our "alpine chalet/hotel w/flower (geranium) rimmed balcony." Not the exact birthday day, but works with our itinery. Yeah, by now you might know, she's in on the whole thing, so no real surprise. I'll have to come up with something in Halstatt. Come to think of it, doesn't seem like a bad place to be on a birthday, does it?

Now, BTilke has sent me off on another of my continuing searchs. As many of us know, planning trips can be a lot of fun, and I've really enjoyed this one. This forum is providing me with tons of things to consider. Thanks alot gang

Dec 30th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Ian

Many of the 'Romantik' hotels fit the description, my favorite being Hotel Tennerhof in Kitzbuhel, Austria. Take a look at their website: "www.romantikhotels.com/kitzbuehel"

Dec 31st, 2001, 05:01 AM
oldperson

The itinerary sounds dandy. Halstatt will be a beautiful little place for a birthday, and heaven knows, Murren has enough fans on this site to be a sure thing. p.s. Don't forget to sing "Al di La" (spelling is probably incorrect; it's Italian, but what the heck.)

Jan 1st, 2002, 04:40 AM
steve

Years ago, I wrote the AUstrian National Tourist Office for info on hotels in the area around Salzburg. They sent a fantastic brochure Picturing dozens of chalet inns that you seek.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO