Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   alone in Nice for4 days in Sept-best use of my time? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/alone-in-nice-for4-days-in-sept-best-use-of-my-time-180812/)

Nancy Aug 25th, 2001 07:45 PM

alone in Nice for4 days in Sept-best use of my time?

Will be going to Nice for the first time, before going on to Provence. So much to see and so little time --so, would be interested in what stands out in your mind as to a "Must do" in the area. Also, keeping in mind I will be by myself and any tips about one feeling more comfortable in that situation.

Alice Aug 26th, 2001 05:35 AM

Hi... we've been thru Nice a couple of times... here is what I think: <BR>Enjoy the view - walk along the Promenade and take it in <BR>Had fun riding the 'Train de Touristique' through Nice, including Vieux Nice and the Chateau hill (look down over the harbour) <BR>Take a day trip to St Paul de Vence and enjoy the hilltop view as well as the village shops <BR>Go to the Musee Matisse in the Cimiez area northside of Nice, which also has some Roman ruins

Alice Aug 26th, 2001 05:39 AM

Well, wasn't finished, I guess... <BR>Visit Vieux Nice especially if the flea market is going, enjoy the little shops, flower markets, and sidewalk cafes <BR>Not a night owl, so no suggestions there... I think if you are visiting the main areas of interest, you should not experience any troubles.

Ellen Aug 26th, 2001 07:24 AM

I would spend one day just touring Nice. If you like seeing villas, take the local bus to Cap St. Jean and see the Rothschild Estate. Eze village by bus is also a "must" in my book. It is easy to get to again by bus from the Nice downtown bus stop. Another day can be spent seeing Vence and St. Paul de Vence. I was underwhelmed by both Antibes and Cannes. Monaco is a very quick train ride and it is worth a few hours visit. <BR>Ellen

Mara Aug 26th, 2001 07:53 AM

Have just finalized my reservations for a solo trip to Nice in Nov. Will be relying on public transportation. Ellen, what underwhelmed you about Antibes and Cannes? From the book I am reading Antibes in particular seems interesting for the Chateau Grimaldi and Musee Picasso. Is Cannes just a smaller version of Nice? Thanks for your insights. I had already decided to visit St. Paul de Vence, glad to know Eze is accesssible by bus.

Nancy Aug 26th, 2001 07:26 PM

Mancy thanks for your suggestions on what to see in Nice and surroundings--will do them all !!! Nancy

Surlok Aug 26th, 2001 07:43 PM

Nancy, <BR> <BR>I didn't particularly enjoy Nice, nor I really enjoyed the Matisse Museum, but this is a strictly personal apoint of view. <BR> <BR>Consider Cap D' Antibes and Cap Ferrat, and Juan Les Pins. They are all lovely, but I do prefer Cap D' Antibes. There's an amazing Picasso Museum there, on the "corniche", with a wonderful sea view and a lovely garden with modern sculptures ( by other artists than Picasso). <BR>The collection is basically pottery that Picasso made when he lived in Antibes. <BR> <BR>It shall be no more than half an hour from Nice, by train or bus. <BR> <BR>Surlok

amy Aug 27th, 2001 05:31 AM

I went to Nice with a few girlfriends. Seems like you have enough suggestions for Nice...I would take the train to Monaco/Monte Carlo for an afternoon and then one day trip to Jean le Paul (forget how to spell it) to the beach.

justwondering Aug 27th, 2001 05:36 AM

.. Jean le Paul?? <BR> <BR>Is that Juan-les-Pins?

carol Aug 27th, 2001 07:43 AM

Nice is a really delightful city with several distinctly different areas all of which I urge you to visit. Vieux Nice is, of course, charming. The flea market is undoubtedly the best on the Cote d'Azur and is held every Monday in the Cours Saleya--the flower and vegetable market area the rest of the week. You should visit both the Matisse museum and the Chagall museum in Cimiez, and take some time to stroll around the neighborhood. The Chateau (a park) and port area is another charming older part of Nice which deserves a visit also. I'd recommend the train as the easiest way to visit other towns--it goes along the coast, so you'll want to be sitting by a window on the right-hand side of the train. Do visit Villefranche-sur-Mer which is only 5 minutes away by train and is a former fishing village which hasn't lost its rakish charm. If you like Picasso, the Chateau Grimaldi in Antibes is an interesting museum, if not I wouldn't bother with Antibes. BTW, what's the name of your hotel? We may be able to recommend restaurants nearby. Nice is a terrific town, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay there.

niceisnice Aug 27th, 2001 11:15 AM

Topping for Ally!