Almost fell off the mountain...

Aug 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Almost fell off the mountain...

Fodorites, my experience entails two subjects dear to your hearts – footwear and Neuschwanstein. I have always managed nicely with rubber sole slides (Naturalizer or Clarks) on my many summer tours of Europe. However, this July I was on a tour of Germany that included a visit to Neuschwanstein in the pouring rain, a rain so intense that I saw basically only the front door and immediate façade of the fabled castle – not the lake, the mountains, and surrounding charm.

The weather conditions did not discourage the hundreds, maybe thousands, of other visitors that day. I did enjoy the inside tour of King Ludwig’s fantasy with its Wagnerian flourishes. While we took a conveyance up to the castle gates, I was not prepared for the precipitous descent on foot in torrential rains down a path that seemed like at least a half a mile. Not sure of the distance, but I thought it might be my last excursion. My feet were totally soaked and the paved path and handrails were exceedingly slippery. At one point, I removed my shoes and proceeded unshod as the pilgrims of old might have done.

Obviously, I survived and vowed to wear proper footwear in the future. I welcome any admonitions or experiences of others traveler descending from the castle. Also, those who visit the site, especially with older or unsteady companions, should be forewarned that the descent is not easy. In fact, at one point I almost collided in the mist with a horse drawn carriage bringing down a bevy of visitors – at some cost I would assume.

That night the skies cleared and we proceeded to Zugspitze the next day where we enjoyed a magnificent view of the Alps….

Aug 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Hi Helen,

I'm so glad you make it safely down the hill from Neuschwanstein and glad you're joining the "proper footwear" folks of which I am one. I can't understand how women walk in slides w/o falling out of them. I have trouble keeping flats on my feet - they fall off because I have narrow heels. Or I should say I fall out of my shoes and then trip over them and careen around. I can imagine the damage I would do to myself in slides!

Happy travels, whatever your future footwear!
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM

Helen, I am sorry, but I have had a good laugh at the thought of you slipping and sliding down in the rain!
We were there in June, but took the mini bus up and down and of course we had beautiful weather.
I also have invested in good rubber soled shoes. My favorite is the Merrill brand. They seem to fit my feet the best. My mother saw my shoes and thought they were so ugly! LOL , She doesn't walk very far, I do!
Keep climbing those mountains only try to pick better weather days!

Search this Thread