Almeria&Alicante charming hotels?

Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Almeria&Alicante charming hotels?

I'm looking for recommendations on moderately priced, well-situated, great hotels in Almeria, Alicante or elsewhere on the Costa Blanca.... I'm planning a trip there for April - any recommendation regarding things to see and do would be helpful. Thanks all!
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:27 PM

We stayed at Gran Hotel with bancotel coupons that was a good location with a view of the harbor--had a room (that was more like a suite) on a higher level. I wouldn't call it "charming", but it was reasonable and fine. You can check out bancotel.com or petrabrax.com for more informtion.
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:19 PM

In Alicante....I stayed at the Pension Les Monges, an extremely charming and well-situated pension filled with beautiful art. It sits between the Castillo Santa Barbara and the Cathedral, just a few blocks from the Mediterranean/Explanada de Espana. The owners were very nice and, when asked, extremely willing to give advice on what to do/where to go.
Nov 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks both.
Burquete, was the room attractive? Was breafast included? Is it a large hostal? Thanks very much for the info....Louanne
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Feb 6th, 2007, 03:51 AM

In Alicante a great restaurant that is off the beaten path is Casa Filo. They do not speak English and get filled up pretty quick by locals (we used to do Sunday lunch there a lot. . . it is right by my host family's house. I will try to get the number, but here is how you get there: take the Tramvia from the Port and get off at Lucentum (3rd or 4th stop. . it goes fast, so keep your eyes open). You will exit on the side you need to be on, so walk down (do not cross the tracks) andyou get to a small street. To the left is a round-about, but you want to go to the right. Walk a few blocks (sorry for not being specific. . . I can see it and have taken the walk a million times, but as it is a dusty but beautiful Mediterranean alley, the distances are deceiving. No more than 500 meters) and you will arrive to the back of the restaurant. You will hear and smell it (paella and garlic) before arriving. I am pretty sure there is a back door, but if not, just go around and you will go through their parking lot into the restaurant). You have to order rices (Paella is delicious, but their arroz a banda is my favorite) beforehand by calling, so I will try to get the number from my host parents. Have your hotel call for you, as they will be able to talk to the owners. Anyways, enjoy the delicious food and then, once done, I highly recommend walking out through the parking lot, and instead of hitting the tram again, go right, cross the street and take another right. In a block to your left you will see the old Albufereta neighborhood, which is still the place to find old Alicante families and fishermen. Walk around. The total area is about 1 city block, but it has a bunch of tiny streets and beautiful patios, and there are a couple of bars where you can have a drink or coffee. Once that is done, either catch the tram back, or walk up the hill and enjoy the view of the Albufereta (small sea inlet), then catch a taxi back to your hotel. The drive is along the beach and just beautiful. . . it was my busride to school every day my Sr. year and kept me going when I was homesick.

Number and perhaps more specific directions TBA.

Also, while in Alicante, do not miss the Barrio Santa Cruz. It is hard to get there (only on foot), but once in, it is just gorgeous. . . a little slice of traditional Mediterranean villages in the midst of a rather built-up city. I have quite a few pictures if you want me to e-mail them to you.
Feb 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all... this is great information. I have booked at the Hospes Amerigo in Alicante (got a great internet rate); now concentrating on Almeria. Any advice will be considered SERIOUSLY! Muchas, muchas gracias.
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Are you saying that the meal has to be ordered in advance?
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:28 PM

If you want Paella (or any other rice dish) ...yes
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM

check out www.hotelelmontiboli.com

it is on the way from valencia to altea. at least stop for coffee ( my solution when i either donīt want to spend a fortune to sleep there.. or donīt have the time for anything else!!)

never get tired of this place.
gets better all the time.

there is a reasonably priced tennis club hotel down below next door that is 1/10 the price, and has a beachside bar-b-q if you are hungry at that time.