Assisi, Chianti & Inqie Terre-2 wks.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just starting to plan a 2wk. trip to Italy (2017) in celebration of our 35th anniversary. The towns that we definitely want to visit are Assisi, the 5 Towns of Chianti (+Sienna & San Gimignano or others?) and Cinque Terre. We're looking for suggestions as to:

1. Which airports to fly in/out of in Italy? (Home airport is SF.)
2. In what sequence should we visit these towns? (One thought - Fly into Rome/train to Assisi, drive through Chianti/train to Cinque Terre/Train to Florence or Milan to Depart for Home.)
3. Best dates? (We would like to be in Chianti for the peak of grape picking/crush.)
4. Any suggestions for accommodations? (Could we stay in one location in Chianti as a home base to visit the other towns?)
5. Any suggestions for restaurants?
6. Any "must do/see" wineries, castles, churches, farms, abbeys, festivals, tours,etc.?

We don't expect anyone to answer all of our questions. But we're hoping to gather enough suggestions from multiple travelers to compile an itinerary.

Thank you for any contributions that anyone can make!
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Oops.......Title should read, "Assisi, Chianti & Cinque Terre-2 wks".
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 10:26 PM

1. Which airports to fly in/out of in Italy? - Look at all options. Look at layover angles, arrival time, return time, etc.

2. In what sequence should we visit these towns? (One thought - Fly into Rome/train to Assisi, drive through Chianti/train to Cinque Terre/Train to Florence or Milan to Depart for Home.) - Unless you stay out of town, MXP is a far away airport, but the flights are usually cheaper than FCO,FLR, or PSA. If you need to leave early, MXP return is somewhat more a hassle than from FCO.

3. Best dates? (We would like to be in Chianti for the peak of grape picking/crush.) -- This can be a mixed bag. Some says it is a good time and easy to make a reservation. I have visited Montalcino during the harvest season last year. Many did not take visitors during the busy harvest season. I ended up going to a large vineyard with a marketing person who happened to be on site during my visit between wine shows.

6. Any "must do/see" wineries, castles, churches, farms, abbeys, festivals, tours,etc.? -- ok, you are going to Assisi, Siena, and Florence, and needs to know which churches to visit?
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 01:56 AM

I usually suggest to take public transport. But for this trip, it would be easier to do all by car:
FCO - Tarquinia - Viterbo - Orte - Terni - Spoleto - Foligno - Assisi - Perugia - Sinalunga - Chianti aerea - Empoli - enter Florence by train - Empoli - Pisa - La Spezia - enter 5Terre by train - La Spezia - Genova - Stroppiana - Vergiate - MXP.
Do the first leg by train if you arrive jet lagged.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 04:42 AM

Hi!

We were last september in Firenze, doing day trips Siena or Pisa is easy! So, you can think of Firenze for a multi day stay.
You shouldn't miss a visit to Siena's Cathedral, the most beautiful! Piccolomini Library inside the cathedral is an absolute must.

La Spezia is a good place to stay when visiting Cinque Terre and Portovenere, Rapallo, Santa Marguerita Ligure and Portofino.

You can think of something like:
One day for La Spezia and Portovenere, you take a boat to go to Portovenere.

One day for Cinque Terre, tale a ferry to the fartest town, Monterrosso, and return via train, making as many stops as you want.

One day for Rapallo, Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino.
Train from La Spezia to Rapallo, boat to Santa Margherita and Portofino. Ve sure to enjoy an Aperol Spritz at the waterfront in Portofino and to have lunch at Santa Margherita Ligure, at da Emilio, incredible good fritto misto and out f this world apple torte.
Back to Rapallo and train to La Spezia.

Enjoy!!!
Old Oct 27th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions!
As part of a 21 day European trip this past June, we spent 6 days in Florence. One day was spent on a winery bus tour to Greve & Rada. We enjoyed the country side and Cinque Terre so much, that we would like to return and explore just the country side and Riviera in more detail. This is why I asked about the sequence of visiting the small towns, the time of year/dates and "must see" sites.

I can see that the itinerary for this trip is going to be a challenge.......So much to see and do!

Thanks again for your help and any additional/future suggestions you might have for me!!!

Grazie Mille!