Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   allocating time between york and edinburgh (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/allocating-time-between-york-and-edinburgh-507474/)

susan4 Feb 26th, 2005 10:11 PM

allocating time between york and edinburgh

DH, adult daughter and I are taking the train on Saturday, March 13 from London to York and then on to Edinburgh, returning to London on Wednesday. Have never been to either city. 2 nights each city? or 1 night in York and 3 in Edinburgh? I have been so stressed figuring out trains and planes for our 2 week trip that I would appreciate help with this decision. Thanks much.

GregY2 Feb 26th, 2005 11:44 PM

In my opinion, York warrants as least as much time as Edinburgh. I would split the time equally, assuming that you are determined to see both.

Nigello Feb 27th, 2005 12:08 AM

I think it depends on what time you get to York. If yuo get there before noon on day '1' and leave in the evening, say 4-5pm on day '2', getting to E'burgh at about 9pm or so, then only one night in York would suffice. But if you spent 2 nights there you would find things to do. Remember it will get dark well before 6pm in both cities. BTW, have you prebooked tickets or are you going with Britrail? If you haven't booked, then do so on thetrainline.com or gner.com as prebooked tickets are cheaper. You will have to book point-to-point singles (one-way tickets). You can collect them from a person or a machine at the station. (I think you might have to visit each station to collect each ticket, so keep hold of all your PINs and receipts.) 2nd class is fine. Some journeys are more expensive than others - rush hour trains, for example. Finally, have you thougth about taking a sleeper train back from E'burgh to London? They go at about 11pm and get into London about 7 30, I believe. www.scotrail.co.uk
That way you save on hotels.

janis Feb 27th, 2005 07:10 AM

If you were renting a car in York I'd say 2 nights each because you could visit some of the wonderful things outside the city too (Castle Howard, Fountains Abbey, maybe the Moors). But that isn't in your plans so I would do 1/3.

But talking "nights" here is confusing. You actually have nearly 5 full days if you aren't going back until Wed.

You can see a LOT (most actually) of York in 1 1/2 - 2 days. I would take an early morning train to York, spend that whole day and the next day take a late afternoon train to Edinburgh. Lunch in York/supper in edinburgh. You'd have Sunday night, all day Mon/Tues and 1/2 a day wed for Edinburgh.

Both cities are absolutely wonderful - awe inspiring actually. But Edinburgh just takes more time - The Castle alone is worth 3 or 4 hours. Plus there are more places to visit/tour in Edinburgh.

susan4 Feb 27th, 2005 07:20 AM

Hi. Thanks for advice. I think I would prefer only 1 night in York but the trains are a problem. I have spent hours with the GNER web site! Amazing that the price can range from 17.50 to 90 pounds for the same trip. I have posted about this before but the problem is that on March 18 after 1400, prices are very high, and on March 19 and 20, there is work on the line which necessitates taking a train, bus, train between York and Edinburgh. My husband flies out of Heathrow on the 23 so he will fly back from Edinburgh. If we stay 2 nights in York, we can take the train to Edinburgh without switching to a bus, so I am now leaning toward that. If anyone is still reading this, thanks for your patience.<smile>

susan4 Feb 27th, 2005 07:23 AM

Hi again. Forgot to mention that I think we should travel from York to Edinburgh in daylight as scenery is great, right? Also, I could not find sleeper trains as has been suggested. Maybe not running then.

Morgana Feb 28th, 2005 07:05 AM

Hi
In answer to your last question, the scenery from York to Edinburgh is lovely once you are an hour or so into the journey. Sit on the right of the train so you can see Lindisfarne (Holy Island) and also the beautiful coastal scenery as the line hugs the coastline.
I don't want to get into a dispute about York/Edinburgh as there is no right or wrong answer, but I live near York so let me know if you want restaurant recommendations etc. In Edinburgh do try the Greyfriars Graveyard tour if you enjoy being entertained and spooked at the same time. If you google 'Mackenzie Poltergist' you will find lots of intriguing info.

Morgana Feb 28th, 2005 07:07 AM

Apologies - it is spelt 'poltergeist'
M