Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

All types of needs, nail clippers, files, scissors, razors, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Lipstique

Under the present circumstances, I do not understand why anyone would bring any of these items in their carry-ons onto a plane. I understand that there are many of you that have hobbies that relate to sewing, knitting, crewel, needlepoint, crocheting, and stitchery and you need to occupy yourselves to pass the time. But do you realize that although you may find these new regulations silly, that another passenger not as innocent as you, could possibly take these items from you on the plane and use them to harm others? Any type of needle, even a dull one, can be used as a weapon to poke a person's eye out. If you need to bring these items, pack them away in your checked luggage. <BR> <BR>Instead, please occupy yourselves while on board by conversing with other passengers, read a book, listen to CDs or tapes with your headphones on, begin your travelogues to post on Fodors, sleep or watch a movie. <BR> <BR>Lets respect the new guidelines and consider that our safety should be of prime importance. Stop thinking solely about yourselves and be considerate of everyone on board. Please pack these items in your checked luggage or leave them at home.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Lipstique

My apologies, the heading should read "All types of needles, nail clippers, files, scissors, razors, etc." Sorry for the typo.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:36 PM
D.J.

This is a long over due post.I hope all you folks who are trying to cajole and fenagle a way to bring your sharps on board will take heed and pass the word to all your scissor loving comrades.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Marc David Miller

Well put!!

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Santa Chiara

A friend (American) recently flew from Italy to LAX, stayed three weeks, and flew back. He dutifully put his big, full-set Swiss Army knife in his checked baggage. Coming back, he forgot to take it out back out of his briefcase. Sailed through security at LAX. It was only at Milan Malpensa, as he was tranferring to a domestic flight, did he trip the security buzzer.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Mascara

Thank you for the reminder. But the advice on how to pass one's time and the sermonizing were superfluous and irritating in the extreme. I think that if I found myself sitting next to Lipstique and had surrendered my cross-stitch needle I'd be forced to whip the underwire out of my bra and poke my own eye out rather than endure the flight.