Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   All this talk about New Year's Eve in Paris has got me thinking... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/all-this-talk-about-new-years-eve-in-paris-has-got-me-thinking-379086/)

cristiana Nov 26th, 2003 04:38 PM

All this talk about New Year's Eve in Paris has got me thinking...

My husband and I are going to Paris over Valentine's Day weekend. Do the restaurants mostly serve special fixed menus then too?

One more question, out of La Coupole(sp?) and Le Petit Zinc, which do you prefer in terms of food and ambiance?

Thanks!

ira Nov 26th, 2003 05:07 PM

My preference is Zinc.

StCirq Nov 26th, 2003 05:16 PM

I have no idea how Valentine's Day is celebrated in Paris, if it even is. If it is, though, I would expect prix fixe menus, since that's the norm at most Paris restaurants anyway.
But I do have an opinion about La Coupole. I had lunch there in October and it was one of the most disappointing food experiences I have ever had in Paris. It's overpriced, overcrowded, the food is mediocre, and, well, without going into details, our waiter was a total pain. When, after waiting an hour and a half for my second course, which he and what appeared to be some waitress-in-training kept getting confused about (it was pretty simple - a plate of bulots with its sauce mayonnaise), I told him I had a train to catch, which was true, he gave me a long lecture about how one must always announce at the beginning of a meal if one has plans to leave a restaurant at a certain hour. Mind you, I had supposed that 3 hours was more than enough to eat and make this train from the Gare Montparnasse, a walk away. And this encounter took place entirely in French, so it wasn't one of those American tourist vs. French waiter sort of things. He was just one of those imperious types who likes to make people feel bad. I won't be going back there.

Christina Nov 26th, 2003 06:03 PM

Valentine's Day is gaining momentum in France the last few years. I've noticed, and you can even buy Valentine's Day cards now. It is certainly not a big national holiday with long French tradition like NY eve, however.

Anyway, I don't know what restaurants do, I suppose some have glommed onto the commercial possibilities along with the card manufacturers. A lot of restaurants serve prix fixe meals ALL the time, however, so that's not unusual at any time. I would not expect restaurants to devote the entire evening only to Valentine's Day reservations and events and forego their usual practices regarding menus, however -- that's just my impressions from the press and marketing I've seen, I'll admit, not firsthand knowledge.

I haven't been to Le Petit Zinc, but would never recommend La Coupole for Valentine's Day. I don't really like it that much but it's okay if you are in that area and it's not a make or break dinner. I've stopped in late at night for a dinner because I stay around there a lot, and didn't feel like going elsewhere. It's not upscale and not remotely romantic IMO. Food is very average. I'd rather go to almost any place nearby than La Coupole, even Chez Clement. As I said, it's okay for a casual cafe/brasserie meal, but not a special occasion.

hanl Nov 28th, 2003 06:29 AM

Christina & St Cirq are right that although Valentine's day is recognised in France, it's not really "celebrated" or hyped. I guess Paris is romantic enough already! ((l))

cigalechanta Nov 28th, 2003 07:01 AM

A good choice is Le Beauvilliers
52, rue Lamarck, 18th, or,
Au Vieux Paris
24,rue Chanoinesse, 4th.

sheshe4 Dec 2nd, 2003 11:24 AM

Stay away from Petit Zinc. My daughter and I ate lunch here this Saturday. The food was nothing special. The restaurant is indeed beautiful. But, the service will make you sorry you ever entered. My daughter is French speaking, but even so, the waiters were arrogant, aggressive and rude. We were ignored after the entree was delivered. An hour passed before dessert came. The waiter refused to give us a check. And instead delivered a lecture. We had to go to the reception desk to request a check, and had to wait another 20 minutes. All-in-all lunch took over 2 1/2 hours and we only ordered entree and dessert. I noticed they were turning people away. Management should keep a closer eye on the wait staff as they are costing them money and reputation. We could have been out of there and opened up another table for two.

ira Dec 2nd, 2003 11:59 AM

Hi sheshe,

Do you think that the waiter StCirq met at La Coupole has moved to Le Petit Zinc?

We were there a couple of years ago, and our experience was almost exactly opposite yours.