Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

All Fodorites to call AA to complain immediately about $15 baggage hike

Old May 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Its official. Call American Airlines now to state your disapproval for their $15 baggage fee. I called. Have you? Let your voice be heard. Let's make a difference!
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM

While you're at it, why not complain about the increase in change fees to $150.00. If you call reservations, do you really think the agent will pass on your comments?
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Yes I do! I also wrote them a letter. Give it a try Orange Cat. What do you have to lose?
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM

I'm not trying to be contentious but maybe it's a good thing that we are being forced to economize. I assume that less baggage means less fuel consumed which means that air travel isn't quite as hard on the environment.

I'm not sure if you live in the US. I do and I think it's time that the "think big" mentality starts to change here. Big cars. Big plates. Big Gulps. And 2 big bags.

Since 1984, when our country was hit with the OPEC embargo on oil, the average weight of the American car has increased by 1000 pounds. Take that, OPEC!

Anyway, just my thoughts. I've got a 20" rolling bag that has room for camera equipment, a laptop computer, and enough clothes to allow for a little variety during my 5-week trip to Europe this summer. And it's all under 30 pounds.
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM

People wanted cheap air fares and they got it. wow $15 for a bag. What's wrong with paying for what you get?
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM

I weigh less than the average American woman, who I understand weighs 140 lbs.

Can I bring on my bag for free?
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM

You really think you are going to make a difference by bugging the airlines? Dream on. Besides I don't feel "disapproval" of that fee, I think it's fine. Sheez, if they had simply raised the ticket price 15 bucks you wouldn't have even known it.
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM

YOU GO SSHEPARD!
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I think it would Suze. You snooze you lose!
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM

Did you hear the news tonight? They may start charging for overweight PEOPLE. That will start a war.
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

So Rhonda, did you call yet? Help me Rhonda!
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:38 PM

If AA gets me to and from Europe safely, I'll gladly pay the 15 bucks. If not, our cats will have a little less money to share.

Old May 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM

On balance, I'd rather the airfares reflected the actual cost, given the increase in jet fuel prices, rather than all these extra charges. It's starting to feel like the charges some hotels have added on that are really part of doing business, like housekeeping.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:02 AM

I'm with Underhill on this one; I'd LOVE to see more transparent pricing. As for Fodorites calling AA?...I suspect that when the board of directors decided to charge the extra 15 bucks, they factored some "incurred wrath" into the equation. Welcome to the future of air travel. SIGH
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:16 AM

How about a compromise?

I don't object to the bag fee.

BUT: if my bag doesn't arrive with me I get a refund.

Seems fair to me.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM

Good news!
Please remember those of us who hardly ever check a bag yet have to pay for mountains of others' bags containing, I suspect, supplies of bottled water and lard.
Hope all airlines do this.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:35 AM

Lard? What are you talking about.

And I doubt you'll be celebrating when more passengers revert to carry-on and they start charging for bin space.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:43 AM

I'm not trying to be contentious but maybe it's a good thing that we are being forced to economize

This is NOT "economizing" and here is why I think so:

If fuel prices ever drop the fees will remain

The airlines refuse to 'economize' in their front offices and continue with multi-million dollar salaries and packages for CEOs which is way out of line with what we see in many other countries

If you really wanted to "economize" then you would probably do something other than fly..perhaps have that meeting via teleconferencing or take a vacation closer to home.

Sorry, I'm not into the passive "well I guess it must be good for us" stuff...we've already been down that road with the current Administration.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:48 AM

>> And I doubt you'll be celebrating when more passengers revert to carry-on and they start charging for bin space.

Wait until it takes an hour to board while everyone stuffs their oversize carry-ons into overflowing bins. What I figure will happen will be that US airlines will next invoke strict size/weight limits for carry-on along the lines of those in European budget carriers. Then what will you do?

I also agree with some others that they should simply raise the ticket price instead of adding these extra fees. Of course, my personal pet peeve is the advertising of one-way fares when you have to buy a round-trip ticket. Why should they be allowed to advertise something you cannot actually buy?

Paul
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM

<i>Yes, I think it would Suze. You snooze you lose!</i>

Not at all true. Suze accrues the benefits equally if your campaign succeeds, so why should she waste her time? You have a collective action problem, which is why these consumer mutinies rarely, if ever, work.

But hey, keep trying to change their minds. I'll worry about the things I can control.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO