Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   all dressed up and no where to go in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/all-dressed-up-and-no-where-to-go-in-paris-676043/)

travelchic Feb 2nd, 2007 09:37 AM

all dressed up and no where to go in Paris

My husband & I have decide to join our two very good friends for a weekend in Paris (4 nights, actually). We are two couples, no kids, late 20's/early 30's. We've pretty much pinned down most of our daytime activities, but feel a little overwhelmed by what to do at night. We'd like to get dressed up one evening, but what to do??!?!
I am looking for anyone's suggestions for a fancy, fun night in Paris. We looking for suggestions for a nice dinner (although we leave March 1st, so no place that requires reservations months in advance),
Or recommendations for a posh bar/club??
Or anyother ideas on what we might do all fancied up!

Thanks in advance.

SuzieC Feb 2nd, 2007 09:54 AM

Dinner at Les Ombres, go dancing, bar hop - ManRey then late night at the Plaza?

travelchic Feb 2nd, 2007 10:57 AM

thanks, suziec..great suggestions! can you give me any more info about the Plaza is that the same as Hôtel Plaza Athénée Paris (25 avenue Montaigne)?

Thanks!

SuzieC Feb 2nd, 2007 11:08 AM

well... I'm laughing here. If I were young again that's what I'd do, but I'm more the early to bed early to rise person.

Here:
http://tinyurl.com/yolowa

its from a best bars website...explains lots.
I'd go to MayRay though to try to see Johnny Depp.. I'm not THAT old ... yet.

ira Feb 2nd, 2007 12:00 PM

Hi T,

You might like dinner at www.le-train-bleu.com/

((I))

LuckyLuc Feb 2nd, 2007 03:03 PM

Even though I really like le Train Bleu, and I have been dining there for a long time, all dressed up at Le Train Bleu I would feel ...endimanché like a peasant! (Sorry Ira, I do like all your post and find that I agree with you all the time)

How about a drink at the bar of The Meurice and after that a little walk for diner au Grand Véfour.

ira Feb 3rd, 2007 04:30 AM

Hi LL,

>(Sorry Ira, I do like all your post and find that I agree with you all the time)<

I am crushed, crushed that you don't agree with me. :)

>diner au Grand Véfour.

Will the OP be able to make reservations this late?

((I))

LuckyLuc Feb 3rd, 2007 05:06 AM

Bonjour Ira, I would think so, if not the OP should try Les Elysées du Vernet, a two Michelin stars, unless there is something special in town, two weeks notices should be enought.

At Les Elysées du Vernet you will be dining under an art nouveau dome by Gustave Eiffel, but the real show will be in your plate. And I have seen a few cocktail dress and some serious jewellery so dressed up is no problem there.

Dave_in_Paris Feb 3rd, 2007 05:08 AM

Something musical and something in a big brasserie, in either order. For the latter, Bofinger and Vaudeville come to mind but there are numerous others.

travelchic Feb 3rd, 2007 07:14 AM

Thank you, thank you all! I am looking in to everyone's suggestions and will make reservations as soon as we decide what our plan for the evening will be.

Art_Vandelay Feb 3rd, 2007 07:18 AM

As Lucky Luc said, the notion of "getting dressed up" to go out sounds very provincial in Paris, very "endimanché" (from "dimanche", or Sunday, like the peaseants who used to dress up to go to mass or the local town on Sundays) as he wrote, kind of "OK, I am in the capital, coming from Montluçon, and I really want to look the part". Casual chic or whetever is the flavor of the day in Paris, and that's pretty much 24/7.

lincasanova Feb 3rd, 2007 08:07 AM

my daughter liked buddha bar and hotel costes.

http://tinyurl.com/24epv4

www.best10.com has lots of info.

lincasanova Feb 3rd, 2007 08:13 AM

sorry. itīs www.10best.com

also, all dressed up? go have a drink at the Georges V Hotel, then over to the tour montparnasse 56th floor for dinner www.lecieldeparis.com

and off to dance.

you will not feel out of place.

lincasanova Feb 3rd, 2007 08:15 AM

really messing up on websites tonight. itīs:

www.cieldeparis.com

travelchic Feb 3rd, 2007 11:11 AM

Yes, I understand that "dressed up" might not translate well....we don't plan on pulling out our prom dresses from 1994, just putting on a simple cocktail dress instead the our regular stylish, but understated evening wear (ie, jeans, heels, etc...). We just thought it would make for a fun, memorable evening, as it does when we don the same "dressy" atire here in DC.

:)

ira Feb 3rd, 2007 01:32 PM

Hi T,

You might like this from another poster.

It would go well with dinner at Le Train Bleu.

Joinville
Veteran Parisian travelers looking for an off-the-beaten tourist path part of Paris can hop RER A to the Joinville-le-Pont station (about 20 min from Gare de Lyon) and do a lovely walk from there along the tranquil and barge-ful Marne River. Walking paths go pretty much on both sides of the river but from the station go along the north/west side of the river and soon you'll be in an area of old quaint stone houses - some of the most unique houses I've seen in Paris, in a kind of gingerbread style - fanciful, whimsical dating from the turn of the centry when this part of the Marne was a favorite with artists who flocked here to eat in its guinguettes, few of which exist today. But you can walk along the Marne for about two miles until you come to another RER station, line E station at Nogent, to return to Paris. Joinville itself is known for its canal tunnel where
barges avoid a large loop in the Marne and use a lengthy tunnel to cut over towards the junction with the Seine. Joinville is a pleasant suburb with the usual coterie of cafes, etc. Sunday market sprawls over many streets.
Guignettes (Café’s w/music and dancing)
Chez Gegene (Guinguette Dancing) 162bis quai de Polangis - Allée des Guinguettes 01.48.83.29.43 Saturday 21-02:30 dinner and dancing 38E Sundays from 12-19:00 45E lunch and dancing (drinks included)
Le Petit Robinson 164, quai de Polangis 01.48.89.04.39 Closed Tuesdays. Welcome until 11 pm. ..tea-dancing, Fri, Sat, Sun afternoons and dinner-dancing with orchestra Fridays and Saturdays. The-dansant from 11-16 euro and diner-dansant from 33 to 37.5 euro."
La Goulue 17 Quai Gabriel Peri 01.48.83.21.77 Fax : 01 48 83 08 44
Very nice fin-de-siecle restaurant Dancing on weekends.

((I))

Fraggle Mar 28th, 2007 08:31 AM

bookmarking

Girlspytravel Mar 28th, 2007 08:44 AM

I would absolutely try now to get into the hot "Les Ombres" the lovely new rooftop restaurant at the new Quai Branly museum, with its stunning views of the Eiffel Tower and the Seine at night. Here's the website, but I would call and make a reservation-they speak very good English, so that's not a problem:

www.lesombres-restaurant.com/

After that, take yourself over to the ever trendy "Buddha Bar" at Place de la Concorde, just behind the Hotel Crillon on the Rue Boissy d'Anglas. This is where the beautiful people go at night, to drink, and to listen to its music, and those house-mixed CDs (I think they are up to Buddha Bar Nine or 10 just now-you can get the CDs in any record store) of world music are best sellers-very friendly staff as well, or you can go there for dinner-Asian fusion cuisine- I had sushi in their bar area, and it was quite good, but they are known for their mixed drinks. I love the ambience, and it's one of my favorite places to go at night in Paris.

www.buddha-bar.com (click the upper right hand corner for English)

cigalechanta Mar 28th, 2007 09:00 AM

Les Bains:This ultra-hip club makes use of an old Turkish bath-house as a venue and is at present THE place to be seen in Paris. The doormen can be very selective when it comes to admission.

travelchic Mar 28th, 2007 09:13 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We had a wonderful time in Paris, one of the best weekends of my life!! Can't wait to go back.
As for our "fancy" Saturday night out....we went to Les Ombres (so great! food, views, it was amazing) and then we headed to the Buddha Bar, we stumbled home around 4am, it was so fun! (And so expensive....but well worth it!)

Thanks again.