Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   all choked up by the messages (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/all-choked-up-by-the-messages-189107/)

mary Sep 12th, 2001 06:59 PM

all choked up by the messages

I live in Kansas City, but my daughter lives in New York and these last 2 days have been spent watching the news and making sure she is safe. Tonite I got on the Fodors site cause I felt I needed a break from all the sadness. Crying all over again, but not from sadness. The sheer beauty of the messages being sent by Americans and people from countries all over the world fill my heart. The messages of support and concern are wonderful reminders, that we are all brothers and sisters in the family of man, and these really sick bastards who did this will only be looked upon as -well sick bastards by most of the world. Thank you posters from all over, for making me choke up again!

Book Chick Sep 12th, 2001 07:05 PM

Mary, <BR>I think some of the most beautiful things said here have been by non-Americans, who are stunned, saddened, empathetic, caring souls. <BR> <BR>The outpouring of support & sympathy from all over the world amazes me. The French newspaper headline, "TODAY ALL OF US ARE AMERICANS", the Swiss ringing their church bells at 1pm, flowers by the dozens left at the Embassy gates, the Italians flying their flag at half-mast, the National Day of Mourning in Ireland, the German firefighters leaving roses in honor of their slain U.S. counterparts---luckily these are images I also will never, ever forget. Our friends have made a conscious effort to truly befriend us by sharing our sorrows & I will be ever grateful they chose to do so. <BR>Peace, <BR>BC

Leslie Sep 12th, 2001 07:07 PM

This evening on The O'Reilly Report on Fox News, someone sent in an email, which said <BR> <BR>"President John Kennedy once said we are all Berliners. Today, we are all New Yorkers."

Lesli Sep 12th, 2001 10:10 PM

Agree with the sentiment that "we are all New Yorkers" during this terrible time. The outpouring of support from all parts of the globe is especially heartwarming; through the numbness, sorrow and disbelief.... Now more than ever, it seems important that we be kind to one another. And I'm gratified to see that for the most part, we are doing so.

dan woodlief Sep 13th, 2001 04:41 AM

Absolutely. I got pretty choked up seeing the Russian citizens laying flowers at the embassy. Just a few years ago we were adversaries. Some of us have come so far, but others have so far to go...

erica Sep 13th, 2001 05:22 AM

My friend in Argentina just told me that yesterday in Buenos Airies all religions gathered around the Obelisk to pray for Americans and their families. She says this is the first time all religions have come together in this way. <BR> <BR>I say BRAVO

Martha Sep 13th, 2001 08:01 AM

I heard that Europe is having a minute of silence on Friday in support of the U.S. Dan, I also got choked up seeing the flowers in front of all the American embassys all over the world. We have the television on at work in a back room and every time I look at it I still get teary.

michele Sep 13th, 2001 08:16 AM

Like all of you, I've been holding back tears all week. The words and images of support do bring comfort. Thank all of you.