Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   All 6 nights in Positano or break it up and do 3 nights in Capri? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/all-6-nights-in-positano-or-break-it-up-and-do-3-nights-in-capri-879042/)

JillDavis Feb 22nd, 2011 09:18 AM

All 6 nights in Positano or break it up and do 3 nights in Capri?

Question - should I do all 6 nights in Positano OR should I break it up into 3 nights Positano 3 nights Capri?

I hear Capri's magic comes alive at night and I am afraid I will miss it because I will have to get on a hydrofoil back to Positano?

I know Capri is expensive and I already have 6 nights booked at Hotel Marincanto in Postiano for 220 Euro per night. That includes an an oceanfront room in the best location in Positano, with an awesome hotel pool.

suec1 Feb 22nd, 2011 09:35 AM

well I'd stay 3 nights in each place (altho to be honest I have only stayed on Capri, never in Positano)I like Hotel Mamela if you want a pool - but Capri is worth more than a day trip IMO. What time of year are you going? - I think until June the hydrofoil scheduled between the two can be pretty limited.

suec1 Feb 22nd, 2011 09:35 AM

forgot to add - I don't think Capri is going to be any pricier than Positano!

JillDavis Feb 22nd, 2011 10:04 AM

Hey Sue! Thanks for your reply. I will be going in September, so I think the hydrofoil schedule is in high season.

I checked out the hotel in Capri you recommended and it is 340 Euro for a sea-view room.

suec1 Feb 22nd, 2011 11:09 AM

whoa maybe I was wrong about Capri not being pricier than Positano! Actually we did not spring for the sea view - it would be nice, but we just stayed in the low-priced rooms and enjoyed the sea views when out at the pool or on the breakfast terrace. Maybe you should just stay 2 nights on Capri - hopefully you will get a chance to go to the Blue Grotto (if that interests you) and then do some walking / hiking. I think there is more to do than time in a day trip and if you spend the time and money to get there, I'd at least do an overnight.

kja Feb 22nd, 2011 11:11 AM

I found Capri wonderful after the day-trippers had left, so I think the idea of spliting your time makes sense. Whether its 2 or 3 nights in Capri depends on your interests. Enjoy!

JulieVikmanis Feb 22nd, 2011 11:22 AM

If you decide to split your time, I'd make it 2 Capri, 4 Positano--more side trips available from Positano. Check prices at Casa Morgano on Capri. We had a lovely room there for less than I expected of a 4 star hotel. We did not have a sea view, but we did look out on the trees that go down to the sea and it was quite lovely. Note that rate in Sept. for their least expensive doubles (which is what I think we had) are only 260 euros.

JillDavis Feb 22nd, 2011 12:48 PM

Hey Julie! That hotel looks like just my style. I love it! The sea-view room is 500 Euro a night. Yikes!

HappyTrvlr Feb 22nd, 2011 12:56 PM

My sister is still raving about Hotel Minerva on Capri and can't wait to return.

mamcalice Feb 22nd, 2011 01:18 PM

By all means, break it up. We much preferred Capri to Positano because there is so much to do and it is so lovely in the late afternoon and evening after the day trippers have left and calm returns. We stayed at the Villa Sarah, a lovely family-run hotel with a beautiful pool and a delicious breakfast. It is a three star hotel and costs around $200 per night. It is a bit outside the center of Capri town and has a view of the sea from afar.

bardo1 Feb 22nd, 2011 01:33 PM

I also think 3 nights is a bit much for Capri - two nights would be better, IMO. Not just because Capri is so small, but because it's much easier to go other places from Positano.

mr_go Feb 22nd, 2011 01:49 PM

I agree with JulieV... a 4/2 split makes more sense.

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Minerva. Clean, comfortable place with some nice views for a decent price. Here's a couple paragraphs on it and 2 pix from a few years ago...

http://www.onelittleworld.com/campania_10.html

(top part of the page only)

JillDavis Feb 22nd, 2011 04:36 PM

Here are my thoughts and tell me what you think:

We start out 5 nights in Rome and then have to travel to Positano. While we are in Positano, I want to take day trips to Ravello, and Capri, and maybe Ischia.

Then, we have a long drive to Tuscany and while we are there we will be driving around to Chianti, Southern Tuscany, etc.

Lastly, we will drive back to Rome to go to the airport.

Do you think I will enjoy just staying put in Positano while doing day trips? This vacation is 16 nights.

OR am I truly going to miss the magic in Capri by not staying overnight?

Homeonline Feb 22nd, 2011 04:43 PM

You have to plan an adequate amount of time to enjoy everything you like. I hate rush hours especially like me a traveler.

HappyTrvlr Feb 22nd, 2011 06:40 PM

Tuscany will be relaxing even with the driving. From what I'm reading here, I think you should leave Positano after a few days and go to Capri.When will you visit Pompei, before, after or during your Amalfi coast visit?

JenV Feb 22nd, 2011 10:11 PM

Hi Jill, I've done both and have to say that I didn't feel I got that much out of staying overnight in Capri vs. visiting on day trips. I am in the camp of much preferring Positano to Capri however. I have also had the good fortune of making day trips on several occasions so have experienced all of the things to do on the island and now can just go to shop and drink scropinos in the Piazzetta. I also stayed at the Hotel Minerva and similarly endorse it.

For day trips I would skip Ischia and add Pompeii.

I will be in Positano in September this year also, maybe we can plan a mini gtg!

A_Brit_In_Ischia Feb 22nd, 2011 11:50 PM

Of course I'm biased, as we've lived on the island since 2003, but even so I'd not dismiss a visit to Ischia quite so readily.

We had less than 4000 people from the States staying last year, and it won't necessarily suit those who can't bear to be alone abroad - however the island's an increasingly popular destination for those from Los Angles, with where our main city (also called Ischia) has been twinned for some years now.

I may well have posted this link to some photos of mine before, but - particularly for those who've not visited - will do so again anyway...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

Peter

scatcat Feb 23rd, 2011 03:51 PM

Wow Peter---looks gorgeous there! I'm going to plan on visiting there. There are just too many beautiful places in Italy. I think it would take a lifetime to see everything.

raincitygirl Feb 23rd, 2011 04:51 PM

Bookmarking Peter, thanks, lucky you, what a gorgeous place to live.

Based on those photos Jill you might want to keep Ischia on the day trip list!

Jill, your hotel in Positano looks gorgeous, I love it. (thanks, I've added it to my long list of bookmarks)
Can't really help you with your dilemma as I dislike packing up and moving too many times in a trip so would be tempted to just stay put in Positano.

However, the 4/2 split some others have mentioned sounds good.

A_Brit_In_Ischia Feb 24th, 2011 12:01 AM

It's particularly nice if your visit coincides with one of the various festas and festivals held here over the course of the year.

The big one is for San Giovan Giuseppe della Croce, the patron saint of the city of Ischia - over the first weekend of September - but there are many others, all over the island...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ischfest

Peter