Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alitalia train from Rome Airport to Naples?

Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

I read under the "Smart Travel Tips" section for Amalfi on this website that Alitalia offers connecting service from your flight to a train at FCO airport that goes to Mergellina train station in Naples. This appealed to me in order to try to avoid taking a train from FCO to Termini and then transfering for a Naples train. When I called Alitalia customer service they couldn't help me with this.
Does anyone know if such a service exists? or did I just misunderstand the information on the Fodor's website? Will I just have to go to Termini station? Thanks for your help.
Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:14 AM

DVC - There's no DIRECT train from FCO to Mergellina.

You will have to change at Roma Termini.
Few trains go direct to Mergellina from Roma Termini - most go instead to Napoli Centrale, from where you can take the metro to Mergellina.

For timetables go to:

www.trenitalia.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Steve- Thanks for the quick reply. I guess the train straight from the airport was too good to be true. I am most interested in seeing Positano and/or Ravello. Which train station in the Amalfi coast area should I stop at first?
Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:28 AM
ira

Hi dv,

You are correct that the Fodor's site says this, and others have copied the same wording for their travel tips, but I had not heard of this before now.

A google search shows people just copying from other people. None of them connected to Alitalia.

Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

ira- Well, it's good to know that I'm not going crazy and this is what the website said

I would still like advice about which train station I should stop at in the Amalfi coast area in order to see Positano, Ravello and Capri. Thanks again.
Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:46 AM

For Capri, you can get a hydrofoil there from Naples.

For Ravello and Positano you have several options.
The easiest IMO is to get a train from Rome to SALERNO - from where there are regular ferries to Amalfi (- from where you can catch a bus up to Ravello) and to Positano.

You can also hydrofoil or ferry from Positano or Amalfi to Capri - or vice versa.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:50 AM
ira

Hi dv,

Trains leve Roma TE for Naples and Salerno.

From Naples, you take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento and the SITA bus to Positano and Amalfi. You chane buses in Amalfi for Ravello.

From Salerno, you can take the ferry (recommended) or the SITA bus to Amalfi and the bus to Ravello. From Amalfi, you take the SITA bus to Positano.

You can take the ferry to Capri from Naples, Sorrento or Positano.

Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Steve- Thanks again. I think I will take the train from Rome to Salerno. I will be doing this right after arriving from my 8.5 hour flight. Should I try to find a hotel and stay in Salerno that day? or Should I then take the bus to Positano or Ravello and stay overnight in one of those towns instead? I guess I am just trying to figure out if I will be too exhausted from the flight then the train and then a bus ride? What do you think? Is Salerno just as nice as Positano or Ravello?
Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

ira- thanks. What do you think of the above travel plan?
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:00 AM
ira

What time do you arrive at FCO?

Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

I arrive at 8:40AM and will only have carry on luggage, so getting to the Termini train station shouldn't be too bad. I know that the train to Salerno will take about 2.5 hours. How long is the bus ride from Salerno to Positano or Ravello? Will it be possible to get to my final destination(either Positano or Ravello) by late afternoon?
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

I'm wondering if I should just stay in Rome that first night and then get to the southern coast the next day?
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:25 AM
ira

>Will it be possible to get to my final destination (either Positano or Ravello) by late afternoon?<

Yes. You will probably make the 14:10 ferry to Positano. You will definitely make one of the buses to Amalfi.

It's a long day, but we have found that the excitement of being in Italy keeps you going until bedtime.

Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

ira-Thanks for both replies. You seem to recommend the ferry to Positano, but I've read that the bus is more scenic. Is there a reason I should take the ferry instead of the bus?
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:41 AM

Both are scenic - but the bus takes twice as long!

With your flight arrival time, an alternative plan would be to catch the 13.45 hydrofoil DIRECT from Naples (Beverello port) to Positano. This would get you to Positano at 14.45.

www.metrodelmare.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Steve- thanks. I didn't know the bus was twice as long! So, are you suggesting that I take the train from FCO to Naples and then take the hydrafoil to Positano instead of taking the train from Rome to Salerno?
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi dv,

Where are you planning on staying on the AC?
Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:03 AM

That's what I usually do if I'm in a hurry. It gets you to Positano in quick time ...

Assuming you're in Naples before 13.00 you'll have no problem making it. The port (Napoli Beverello) is a 10 mins bus ride from Napoli Centrale station.

But when are you going? The Metro del Mare service isn't running yet - it'll re-start next month, I believe.

http://www.metrodelmare.com/l-mm2_b.html

Steve
Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:04 AM

dvchism - years ago there was a train that Alitalia ran from FCO to Naples for Altialia customers only. It seems "Smart Travel Trips" should have removed this info years ago when this train stopped running.

If you are staying in Positano it is closer to train to Salerno and then take the ferry or bus. If you are staying in the Sorrento area then train to Naples.
Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

kyboubon-thanks. Fodor's should update their website so people don't get there hopes up

ira-I have not quite decided where to stay in AC yet. I should do that soon because I'm going there next week!!! I think maybe I'll stay in Positano so that I can take a ferry the next day to Capri.

Steve- Thanks for the warning about metrodelmare. Is the ferry from Positano to Capri running now? I'll be in AC next week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO