Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Alitalia refunds (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/alitalia-refunds-195665/)

kate Oct 11th, 2001 05:08 AM

Alitalia refunds

I was able to cancel our tickets to Italy from the US yesterday on Alitalia, with full refunds. They said that any tickets bought before 9/11 were fully refundable, and you do not have to rebook . Just in case this is a help to anyone~

Howard Oct 11th, 2001 05:49 AM

We, too, were able to get a full refund from Alitalia, who could not have been more understanding, cooperative and sensitive.

paul Oct 11th, 2001 06:07 AM

We have tickets we bought in August from Alitalia, and are still undecided about whether to use them (November 2). Any tips on how you got your refund? I.e., what number you called, what you said? Still hoping to go but want to know my options. <BR>Thanks.

Howard Oct 11th, 2001 09:12 AM

Good luck with reaching Alitalia on the phone! Fortunately, I live in suburban NY, so I was able to go to the Alitalia ticket office on Fifth Avenue in NYC.

kate Oct 11th, 2001 09:30 AM

I called the 800 number that is on the Alitalia online site-800 223 5730-be prepared for a litle wait,was not too bad Wed.They are very courteous and kind, no attitudes at all-they got the info, I sent my tickets to them by FedEx and they will credit my card within 10 days-then they wished me God Bless~can't ask for more than that!As for your trip in Nov, you might ask them how late you can waitto cancel-I was supposed to fly tomorrow night (10/12) so maybe you can wait until the last minute,and hopefully by then you will be able to go and have a wonderful time..if not..my husband tells me~Italy will still be there~

paul Oct 11th, 2001 10:18 AM

Thanks, Kate. Hopefully will work up the courage to use the tickets now. Howard: I work near 5th Ave. Where's the Alitalia office? Did you just bring in your tickets and get a refund?

kate Oct 11th, 2001 10:21 AM

Alitalia Airlines <BR>666 Fifth Avenue <BR>NY 6th floor ticket office <BR>That is also where you would go in person~also we were ready to give a medical excuse but they are saying things about "this time of crisis" and we didn't need to make an excuse.K

Howard Oct 11th, 2001 01:50 PM

Paul, Kate is correct about the address. As for our refund, the tickets were bought in Italy, so the refund had to be made there. They gave me a receipt for the tickets and credited the credit card in Italy on which the tickets were purchased. I might add that in the past, any changes on Alitalia tickets purchased in Italy--whether a change in your plans or a cancellation--would have to go through over there. Because of the current situation, Alitalia was more than accommodating is easing the refund process. At the time of my experience, there was no mail being flown anywhere, so I was especially pleased at how wonderful they were. I've been critical of Alitalia in the past, but after this experience (and the experiences of others), I'm sold on Alitalia!

kate Oct 11th, 2001 01:57 PM

Howard, I am glad that things worked out so well for you.At times like these, who needs the extra anxiety of trying to get a refund for a lot of money!? Now hopefully we can get past these sad times and maybe give Alitalia a call in a year or so and rebook those trips~stay safe~K

Howard Oct 11th, 2001 03:33 PM

Kate, oh yes, we're definitely going back. We feel that the trip was postponed, not cancelled!