Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help planning our Itinerary and budget for our first Paris,Munich and Germany visit

Search

Need help planning our Itinerary and budget for our first Paris,Munich and Germany visit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Roger_Lisa

Hello everyone. I have been reading Fodor's for about 3 months now trying to come up with an itinerary however, I am in over my head and really need some help. That's why I am posting today for the first time. I feel like it's crunch time since We leave in 55 days. Here's a little background on us. We are a 40 something married couple (kids are grown) going to Europe for the first time.
We leave from Bentonville Arkansas (XNA) Monday September 17 at 12:05pm with one stop in Dallas Tx (3hr 50 min layover) then on to Paris at 5:10 pm arriving at 9:40 am (CDG) Tuesday September 18 for six nights.

We leave Paris (ORY) Monday September 24 at 9:40 am arriving in Munich (MUC) at 11:05 for two nights.

We pick up a rental car from Avis on September 26 and leave from Frankfurt(FRA) Sunday September 30 at 11:05 am.

I pre-paid as much as possible and here is what is paid for so far.

Airfare to Europe. $1,569.00 total.
Paris shuttle from and to airports. 79 Euro.
Paris visit passes. 55 Euro (54.40).
Airfare to Munich. 198 Euro.
Bavaian shuttle to hotel. 42 Euro.
Holiday inn Munich on Effnerstrasse through Priceline $477.00 total.
Steigenberger airport hotel Frankfurt September 29 through Priceline $123.00 total.

We have $3,300 or about 2,400 Euros in our budget but have pre-booked (not paid yet) some things

Hotel Bellevue D'oro in the 4th for 70 Euro per night 70x6 = 420 Euro.

Upgrade at the Holiday inn Munich 30x2 = 60 Euro.

Avis rental car for 4 days using our Walmart discount 190 Euros total plus fuel of about 75 Euros.

Post hotel Mittenwald September 26 100 Euro.

Upgrade at the Frankfurt hotel 25 Euros.

Total 870 Euros. Leaving us about 1,530 Euros for the rest of the trip.

Two nights lodging between Mittenwald and Frankfurt,Food,drink,Sights and transportation around Munich for two days.

We would love to see the major sights of Paris. Have wine at a street cafe. and people watch.

Go to Oktoberfest ( That's why we are going to Munich!) eat at the hofbrauhaus. go to a beer garden in the English garden park. See the glockenspiel. Go to the marienplatz. Take a bike tour.

See small beautiful German towns on the way to Frankfurt. See the Alps?

What do you think. Can we do it on such a limited budget? Do you have any ideas that would help us get the most bang for our bucks? Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions and help. Roger and Lisa.

P.S I have $350.00 in reserve just in case but I would like to not spend it if possible.

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI RL,

>Leaving us about 1,530 Euros for the rest of the trip.

I think that gives you about 100+ E/day.

Bkfst (coffee and croissant) 2.5 pp
Lunch (Salad and a cuppa) 8
Dinner (2 courses) 25

Your fuel cost looks OK.

It's doable.

>P.S I have $350.00 in reserve just in case but I would like to not spend it if possible.<

Plan on spending it, and an equal amount on the CC.

Don't pass up that absolutely wonderful whatever because it is not in your budget. You will be much happier having the whatchamicallit than you will not getting it and wishing you had.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM

I have to admit, I read your post 3 times and got pretty bogged down in the details. I am not sure how long the 1500 euros needs to last or what exactly it needs to cover.

When my husband and I were in Germany, we spent about 100-110 euros per day on food, drink, public transportation, museum entrance fees, etc.

We got a transit pass in Munich, which was inexpensive and allowed us to roam all over on the S-Bahn, U-Bahn, and trams.

We took an afternoon bike tour with Mike's Bikes, which I think was something like $40/person, but it was worth it because we saw a lot of things in a reasonably short amount of time and the guide was really great.

We ate at the Hofbrauhaus, which was really crazy and fun, but the food was just ok. We had some really excelent food at a place right of the Marienplatz called Andecher am Dom - it is off a small pedestrian street behind the Frauenkirche (the church with the 2 onion domes). Very reasonable prices too, esspecially for being about a block of the Marienplatz.

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Roger_Lisa

Thank you ira. I think you are saying about 70 E per day for food.. right?
I think we could save a little on food if we only ate in restaurants half the time and street food the rest?

Hello J_Correa.
The 1530 E will need to cover...
12 days of food.
2 Nights of lodging.
Transportation for 2 days in Munich.
A little wine in Paris.
Some beers at Oktoberfest and at a beer garden in Munich.
Tourist sights while we're in Europe.
Sorry if my post is a little confusing.

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
ira

Hi RL,

>I think you are saying about 70 E per day for food.. right?
I think we could save a little on food if we only ate in restaurants half the time and street food the rest?<

You are paying $580 for two nights in a Munich hotel and you want to skimp on food?

I consider that very penny wise and pound foolish.

You are going to go over budget. Skimp when you get home.

Get a job at the local Burger King for a month. Take in laundry. Babysit. Walk the streets, but don't be pennypinchers on your 1st visit to Europe.

I still hate myself for not taking out a loan and buying a set of Flora Danica 35 years ago.

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM

Agree with Ira that if your budget is so tight, why would you spend such a big chunk of it on 2 nights hotel in Munich?

Most of your hotels should include breakfast with your room rate but be sure to check. If so, then you only need to worry about the other two meals. Fortunately, food in Germany is not that expensive but in Paris, I'm not so sure as it's been a long time since I was there.

Do you already know where you want to stay for the 2 nights between Mittenwald and Frankfurt or are you asking for recommendations? If you are asking for a recommendation, then I would suggest a couple of nights in a little town called Iphofen near Wurzburg. We stayed at a wonderful hotel called Gasthof zum Hirschen for around 60 Euro per night including breakfast. From Iphofen, it's just a short drive to Wurzburg and many other small, charming towns in the area.

I also think you could have done better than $123 for your last night at the Frankfurt Airport. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Moerfelden which is only a few minutes from the airport. Prebooked, a room cost around 70 Euro. But since you've already done the Priceline thing, you can't cancel anyway.

I definitely think you could have done better budget-wise with the funds you have available. And I agree with others that you will end up spending more than you had hoped.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Roger_Lisa

Believe me I didn't want to spend that much on a room in munich but, I offered $200 per night that was accepted then there was $79.00 in other fees. I called the hotel to ask what kind of room we will get and was told a basis cheap room then they offered me a very nice room for 30 Euro per night more and I agreed. Same thing with the hotel in Frankfurt I offered $100.00 for the night but with fees it came to $125.00 I called after priceline accepted my bid and was offered a Jr suite for 25 Euros more. ira, If I had the time to get another job I would! LOL. I would walk the streets too but how much could a 45 year old fat man make? The wife said NO WAY!!! LOL. I think $6,000.00 for 12 nights is about as far as we can go. Remember I still have an extra $350.00 and a credit card. When I said street food I meant things like Gyros,Falafals,Bratwurst and sandwiches! We love things like that.
Thank you bettyk I am lookinh into your suggestions.

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM

There are other ways of finding a hotel besides Priceline. There are many websites with hotel listings including the town's own website (ie., www.munich.de or iphofen.de). For Germany, I have used www.hotels.de successfully. But I'm sure Octoberfest jacked up the prices you had to pay.

And, while I'll admit that a Jr. Suite sounds nice, that 25 Euro could have paid for some of your meals. Also, a standard room at the Steigenberger probably would have been find for 1 night. IMHO, I think they sold you something you didn't really need.

Here's a website link for info on the Zum Hirschen:

http://www.tiptop-hotels.de/gb/hotel...mhirschen.html
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:00 PM

I can't help too much with the trip planning, but I am of the mindset that I don't want to skimp on sites, but I will skimp on food. So I don't mind getting supermarket take-aways. In Paris, I often made lunch just out of a baguette ... that will be a Euro or 2 at most. For a good sit-down meal at a great price, I've eaten twice at Crepe de la Cluny in the 5th (rue l'harpe) and really enjoyed my meals there.

I've never used Priceline before, but did you look at sites like biddingfortravel.com? They post previous winning bids and will provide bidding strategies, so you may want to keep that in mind for future trips to avoid overpaying.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM

Roger

Actually your price for the Munich hotel doesn't sound that bad. I am getting quotes for $295 and up for the week before Oktoberfest because of trade shows and conventions. There is a shortage of available rooms so we may stay out of Munich this trip.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:57 AM

$580 for two nights in a Holiday Inn?????????? I don't care if it is during Octoberfest. Going to Germany and staying in a Holiday Inn is something I would never consider. I don't even stay in them in the US.

Good luck.

Curious
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Roger_Lisa

Curious replied,

"$580 for two nights in a Holiday Inn?????????? I don't care if it is during Octoberfest. Going to Germany and staying in a Holiday Inn is something I would never consider. I don't even stay in them in the US"

Ok I'll bite.. Where would YOU stay in Munich at Oktoberfest time.. in a superior double room with breakfast included... at a 3 star hotel for 210 Euro per night or less.. that is 3 miles or less from the fest grounds?

JoeTro I agree with you. I know where some people eat is very important to them. It's really not to us. We will eat like the locals do and I am sure they don't spend 70 Euros every day for 2 people to eat.. We are looking forward to our visit in Europe and I think eating in sit down restaurants half of the time we're there will be good enough for us.

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I also think that some brands tend to be better in Europe than in America, or at least don't have as much of a negative stigma attached. Definitely Best Western, but Holiday Inn also comes to mind. I stayed at a Days Inn in Dublin that was just fine.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I think that for Oktoberfest time, those hotel prices aren't bad.

Your budget will be tight, but I think it is totally doable. Some people don't have as much fun if they have to be thrifty, but as long as you are a budget-minded person, then you will be fine.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
This won't help you this time - but perhaps the next time you use PL ---

I'd personally NEVER contact a priceline-won hotel to ask "what sort of room am I getting?" Of course they will say a basic one. But ain't necessarily so . . . If you arrive at a hotel and don't like the room THEN you can ask about the possibility of an upgrade. I just don't get using PL and then immediately paying more for an upgraded room.

Most of teh time there is absolutely no difference between a PL booked room and anyone esle's (and I've sometimes been upgrades w/o any extra $$ right at the front desk)
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM

First off, don't get stressed out about hotels you have already purchased and cannot change. Just know for future trips that your options are not limited to your basic hotel chains. Personally, I don't like Priceline or Hotwire because I need to know everything I can about a place before I commit to paying for it!

I prefer to stay in bed & breakfasts or smaller guesthouses when we travel in Europe. I get to experience a smaller, more local place - often much cheaper than a hotel. Don't be afraid to do your research and try one of these types of lodging for the other nights you still need to book. Incidentally, my husband and I were in Germany for Octoberfest last year and we stayed at the Hotel Laimer Hof in a great room with breakfast for only 140E per night. It was convenient to public transportation and best of all, just a few minutes walk to the Hirschgarten
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Oops - that was weird - a flash of the screen and suddenly I had posted what I typed while I was still typing!

Anyway, what I was saying, was that the Laimer Hof was near the Hirschgarten - a wonderful beer garden that should not be missed.

Enjoy your trip! Don't forget to make time to enjoy the little things, and don't stress about the stuff you can't change
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM

>that is 3 miles or less from the fest grounds?

Just a stupid question - why does it need to be within 3 miles (5 km) of the Theresienwiese? I would generally suggest any Munich hotel with a good subway connection to the center and fest grounds. Is avoiding additional 10 min on a subway or tram that much worth?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Roger_Lisa

I was asking Curious where he would stay in Munich for what I paid. I can't change our hotel because priceline has a no refund policy. The Holiday inn Munich seems to be an ok place for 210 Euros a night and is close to the Theresienwiese grounds. Some people think I got ripped off. Next time we go to europe I will not use Priceline because I think their fees are too high but hey..I lucked out this time and got a pretty good place to stay. In frankfurt I could have booked the same hotel for $100.00 through the hotel's web site and avoided the priceline fee. Oh well.. live and learn. What do you think about 70 Euros per night at our hotel in Paris, Hotel Bellevue et du Chariot D'or?

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
what "priceline fees"??

On PL you pay what you bid - w/ the extras being local taxes (which are payable on any hotel booking)

What fees are you paying?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -