Alitalia Airline

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Alitalia Airline

My husband and I are going to Rome in September and have a flight in the computer for that trip and are using air miles on Delta. Alitalia is a partmer of Delta. Would it be better to get that flight with Alitalia since Delta is shakey ? I want to used those saved air mile before they dissappear. What kind of airline is Altilia as I have never flown it?. Please advise me as you have been so helpful in the past.Thanks so much. Cherry
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Topping...

I would also love to hear feedback on Alitalia as they fly direct from Dulles to Milan.

I am thinking of booking them for next winter, but have seen some bad reviews on the Fodors Airlines forum. The concern seems to be frequent strikes and cancelled flights.

Any experiences during the Christmas/New Year season with them?

I can handle bad food, small seats, rude staff, etc. with ease as long as I get where I want to go. My luggage arriving with me is always a bonus, too. It is losing days of vacation that I really hate!

Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:13 AM

I think at this point ALITALIA is no better or worse than most of the major airlines. That being said, my husband has flown ALITALIA many times between NYC and Rome with minimal problems. I wish I could say the same about AMERICAN or DELTA!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:23 AM

I flew to Rome and back last month (from London) and found the experience pleasant enough. I know that evidence from one short haul flight is hardly basis for a transatlantic crossing, but I found the airline no better or worse than e.g BA or Air France.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM

We had a great experience with Alitalia, our best trnscontinental flight. We got bargain business class tickets for a little more than economy and were treated so well by the flight crew and ground personnel. They met us in Rome in a motorized cart to whisk us to our connecting flight. I have had terrible experiences with Delta.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Westminster,

Two years ago I used Delta miles to go from Washington Dulles non-stop to Milan. Delta automatically put me on the Alitalia flights, their code share partner. All my conversations were with Delta, but my tickets were on Alitalia ticket stock, and were mailed to me from Alitalia. I generally fly Alitalia from Dulles, since they are the only airline going non-stop to Milan. Their planes are a little old, and the staff a little "aloof", but they always get me where I'm going.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 09:07 AM

It's been quite a few years since I've flown them, but the food, I hear, is still terrible. We were seated near the galley and, even though it was a non-smoking flight, the flight attendants were puffing away behind the curtains in the galley. The smell, of course, was not contained, not to mention the wonderful thoughts of having smoke over all the food that was being served.

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I've flown eight flights on Alitalia over the past years and a half or so and they've been OK and I've had no problems, except for one delay in Rome. I too like the non--stop for Dulles to Milan for convenience.

The trans-Atlantic planes from Dulles aren't great -- 767s?? -- with no seatbacks screens and appearing a bit worn. But the staff was fine.

In many ways, Alitalia is like most airlines. Some folks will have ``never-fly-them-again'' episodes and others will find them average, and perhaps a few will rave. I'm convinced with the majority of carriers out there it's just a crapshoot on what colors folks' impressions.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 06:17 AM

I agree that Alitalia is no better or worse than any other airline, although it's not nearly as good as it used to be. I've flown them a number of times with no problems.
Two years ago on my return flight from Milan, the flight was overbooked and I, along with 7 other lucky passengers, got a free upgrade to business class.
It was VERY nice.