Alilaguna landing at San Marco Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used the San Marco Alilaguna landing to and from the Venice airport?

Due to using a wheelchair for our trip we have a map of "Accessible Venice" that lists this landing as having REDUCED ACCESSIBILITY. But they don't explain what that means. Does anyone know if a wheelchair can board here? Are there steps to get off and on the landing???

Looks like Venice could be a challenge for the disabled but we are determined to make the most of it and see as much of the city as we can.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM

Pandwb,

We were in Venice last month, and used the Vaporetto a lot, including the St. Marks stop (Valaresso). I did not notice any difference in boarding for that stop from any of the others. The Alilaguna boats to and from the airport use the same stops. We took ours from the Arsenale stop, which is two stops down from the one at St. Marks.

While I did not see wheelchairs on any of the boats we were on, I don't think boarding would be difficult. I did note that many of the bridges, especially those along the front, from St. Marks down to Arsenale, had ramps built over them for accessability. One bridge on Murano had a rather strange looking mechanical sort of lift that could take a chair from the quai to the flat top of the bridge, and then a second one would take you down the other side.

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:46 AM

pandwb-I too, think you will not have problems with the vaporettos, as they are, along with the landings, fairly handicap-accessible, however, you can put your question to the city of Venice directly, as the city has an office to facilitate handicapped visitors and their questions. I am not sure about Alilaguna-I have taken it, but don't recall its accessibility issues. An email or phone call should answer your question, along with any others you can think of to ask them as well.
email:

[email protected]

tele. #: 041 274 8144 (Venezia)
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you nukesafe for this information. On the map they sent me it looks like there are 3 different landings near St. Marks - Vallaresso and Giardinetti both used by the vaporetto, and S. Marco used by the Alilaguna boats. Only the Alilaguna landing is shown as reduced accessibility. It is good to know that there are ramps along some of the canal bridges as that would be easier than steps. We have a key for some of the lifts, but I have seen posts that say they do not always work. We'll do the best we can.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Girlspytravel for the advice to contact the city directly - and I appreciate the email address. I will definitely contact them with this question too. Although we are looking forward to all the towns we will visit during our 2 weeks in Italy next year, my dream is to see Venice.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM

And the city of Venice wants you to see it too! I sound like an advert. don't I? (smile)

They make a special effort to accomodate handicapped visitors. Hope this will be of some help.